Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Nothing in the BOFTA appendices about CGI Dain?

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Mar 29 2016, 4:46pm

Post #1 of 6 (670 views)
Shortcut
Nothing in the BOFTA appendices about CGI Dain? Can't Post

A little late but I've just finished watching the BOFTA appendices and was really disappointed about the absence of any comments on the reason for the change to CGI of Dain. From what we see in the appendices there is little change in the design between his costume and the final appearance in the film, so I wonder what the change was about?!

(This post was edited by BornOutOfTheWest on Mar 29 2016, 4:46pm)

Eruclauron
Bree

Mar 29 2016, 6:04pm

Post #2 of 6 (636 views)
Shortcut
If I recall correctly [In reply to] Can't Post

If my memory serves (and sometimes it doesn't, so I could easily be wrong), it was something about the prosthetics hiding Billy Connolly's performance.

LSF
Gondor

Mar 29 2016, 6:07pm

Post #3 of 6 (631 views)
Shortcut
explanation [In reply to] Can't Post

They explain it a bit in the Chronicles books. Basically the prosthetics and costume were too heavy for Connelly to really act through, and they didn't realize it until after they had filmed.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Mar 29 2016, 7:03pm

Post #4 of 6 (622 views)
Shortcut
I think they did explain it... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Appendices, they say that they couldn't see the great performance of the actor through the prosthetics and make up, and, even after they had removed most of it, they didn't think Billy's nose looked like a Dwarf's nose. Then they imagined him with John Howe's nose instead and liked that idea, so they used CGI to make him with less prosthetics and with John's nose Smile.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 29 2016, 7:08pm

Post #5 of 6 (620 views)
Shortcut
Well here's the problem with that [In reply to] Can't Post

The big question is, did they COMPLETELY replace him with CGI, which most people on TORn seem to think they did. And just a week or so ago I was commenting that, after watching the Appendices I couldn't believe he was completely replaced, based partly on those comments about scaling back the prosthetics to let Billy Connelly come through. It doesn't make any sense to me that you'd completely replace someone with CGI if you want the "real" actor to come through - sounds counter-productive. There's a difference between tweaking someone's nose and completely replacing him with CGI.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

LSF
Gondor

Mar 29 2016, 7:20pm

Post #6 of 6 (613 views)
Shortcut
It can make sense... [In reply to] Can't Post

If they didn't have the time after realizing the problem during production, to redesign it and refilm everything he did. In this case, the only time to fix it would be afterwards, during all the mocap stuff. From what they said in the Chronicles book, it is my understanding that he was completely digital, except maybe the coronation. And they did say in the Chronicles book that it might come off as counter-productive, but if an actor is completely free to express and act without any prosthetics on, they can perform better. Then the cgi animator has everything to work with in terms of translating the performance to the cgi character. There was also the illness factor Connelly had, so maybe he simply could not put it all on again and redo it all.

I'd say the fact that people don't realize or believe it (like my dad when I told him), speaks to the talent of Weta Digital Cool

(This post was edited by LSF on Mar 29 2016, 7:23pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.