Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
New Line and Tolkien Trust are in negotiations.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2008, 1:28am

Post #1 of 7 (791 views)
Shortcut
New Line and Tolkien Trust are in negotiations. Can't Post

ArathornJax found this in the Kristin Thompson blog: http://www.kristinthompson.net/blog/?p=247#more-247

Two highlights:

That sounds encouraging to me. The Tolkien Trust and New Line are at least in talks. They have twice been able to agree on extensions in the deadline for the studio to file a response to the complaint. The two sides appear to have been in discussions since around March 7, and New Line has agreed to let the Trust look at some documents relevant to an audit, presumably regarding the income and expenses relating to the trilogy.

Such moves suggest to me that both sides have some reason to believe that the case can be settled. The Trust has not filed an injunction barring New Line from beginning production on The Hobbit. The filmmakers keep hinting that the project is slowly moving toward an official start of pre-production. Surely co-producers New Line and MGM would not launch into spending money on the films without having some confidence that there will be no court order for them to turn over the production rights to the Tolkien Trust (one of the punitive points in the original complaint).

So Emmerich (thankfully!) has already departed from Shaye's and Lynne's accounting secrecy, and seems like The Hobbit is not menaced after all!

It is a joyous day! *Waits for announcement in 32 minutes* Smile

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 22 2008, 1:58am

Post #2 of 7 (231 views)
Shortcut
Oh goodie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I spotted some planet aligning! This is great news! I'm so glad you keep us caught up on all of this! THANKS SO MUCH! :D

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

ArathornJax
Lorien

Apr 22 2008, 6:21am

Post #3 of 7 (212 views)
Shortcut
I say give it two to [In reply to] Can't Post

three weeks before the settlement is final. Depends on the legal bartering that is going back and forth now and details. Money talks as I've said and in this game, Time Warner knows it has the right source material, looks like the right director, the right music director/producer, and probably the right actors and a bunch of excited hard core fans, and let us not forget the casual movie fan who will eat this up if done right. That is a receipe for hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars so settling is what would happen from the get go. Besides Time Warner, MGM and others, I'm sure the Tolkien Estate will get a good chunk too out to the next two movies. Enough that down the road after Christoper Tolkien has passed on, the Tolkien Estate will have no motivation financially to allow the Silmarillion or The Children of Hurin to make it to the big screen in any form. Perhaps it should be that way.

Its also easier to come in after Shaye and company are gone and set things right with the estate. However, by settling out of court, we need to remember that the public may never know the terms and conditions of the agreement unless it is violated down the road.

Bottom line, it looks to be resolving and that bodes well for all. Looks like the next week or so will bring a flurry of activity and then we'll have spurts and highs over the next several years. So what will be the highs? I say naming the director, naming screenwriters, releasing names of the actors and their roles, locations in New Zealand, release of photos on set and location; teaser trailers ie when trailers are release with movies, and finally release date and when that date actually arrives. Oh yeah, hints at music is nice also. I've left off a lot of other things but milestones in the making of these two movies are you looking for and what events?

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Elven
Valinor

Apr 22 2008, 7:01am

Post #4 of 7 (227 views)
Shortcut
Something has to give way [In reply to] Can't Post

to allow this legal situation to get up and stand aside, so that things can start happening and be finalized.
I fear there is still some complication about this - maybe there's one more delay, but I think all will be sorted - maybe the next 10 days we'll have news about this I hope. But all in all, I think the checkered flag has been raised - its just a matter of just waiting for the next green light now.
Money can be such a disruption! Wink Crazy Laugh and as Kristin said, the Estate has had some access to paperwork, but I wonder if what was offered was enough to put the trust back into this situation.
IMO I think everyone concerned with these films is waiting to see some outcome here and now - time is a factor - time is money - and if they wait too long and have more delays which look as if they might be lengthy (I fear) del Toro will be a just a fond memory that once was going to be with these films.

I hope the announcement brings 'good' news!!
Thanks for the link Compa.

Cheers
Elven

I think I'm quite ready for another adventure!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Apr 22 2008, 6:39pm

Post #5 of 7 (154 views)
Shortcut
Oh Thank Heavens! [In reply to] Can't Post

If the Tolkiens are happy, then I will be happy. I really hated the idea of having to boycott "The Hobbit", but as long as they're not pressing any injunction, I suppose they don't need me to refrain from watching the movies when they come out.

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 23 2008, 2:10pm

Post #6 of 7 (117 views)
Shortcut
Well, now you've done it. [In reply to] Can't Post

How the heck am I supposed to get any work done now with this DELICIOUS RUNDOWN OF ANNOUNCEMENTS!?

*shiver* I think you're on it 100%. I'm really glad that New Line won't be the last film company the Estate has to deal with. Maybe they won't be as timid about future projects. Though, I'm thinking they'll be done, too, whenever there's a changing of the guard in the far distant future.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 23 2008, 3:46pm

Post #7 of 7 (123 views)
Shortcut
Arathorn Jax, a query [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to change topic. I am INCREDIBLY excited about things moving forward, despratelywishto see the legal wrangling ended and the films started, and eager for ANY news of Hobbit pre-production. I am already imagining scenes anew.

Byt you, Arathorn, posted somewhere that Tolkien wrote a letter addressing Celeborn's fears that The Balrog of Moria might lead an army against Lothlorien. Can you post the contents of that letter on the boards?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.