Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which Tolken book did you read first?
Poll: Which Tolken book did you read first?
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The Children of Húrin
Other
View Results (50 votes)

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Mar 22 2016, 7:00pm

Post #1 of 9 (735 views)
Shortcut
Which Tolken book did you read first? Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 22 2016, 7:45pm

Post #2 of 9 (674 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit (I think) [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though I voted for The Hobbit I might have read The Lord of the Rings first in its entirety. I do know that the first Tolkien that I ever read was "The Riddle Game" extracted from The Hobbit--probably the rewritten version from the later edition.

Cirashala
Valinor

Mar 22 2016, 7:47pm

Post #3 of 9 (676 views)
Shortcut
Not sure what to pick [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose technically The Silmarillion, because after seeing LOTR EE's I was vastly interested in elves, but I think my actual first story was The Children of Hurin. But I honestly can't remember- I've read many bits and pieces in LOTR, I've read TH dozens of times, and I've read Unfinished Tales, The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, etc....

I know COH is published on its own, but it is also in The Sil as part of the story compilation....so maybe make that distinction?

Either way, I've read them all and love them all Heart But at present, I like TH the best because I'm currently writing a fan fiction of it and thus end up delving into it and pouring over every word in order to accurately represent the story within my adaptation/fan fic's storyline Smile Of course, that also means frequent visits to the LOTR appendices, as I am also gleaning as much of dwarf culture as I can find Wink

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 22 2016, 9:36pm

Post #4 of 9 (662 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

During the 2012 Christmas. I'd just seen AUJ and wanted to know how the story was going to end. My life hasn't been the same since.

Longbottom Leaf
Lorien

Mar 28 2016, 2:11am

Post #5 of 9 (508 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted to read LOTR before the movies came out but my friend couldn't find his book to lend me so he lent me The Hobbit to read in the meantime until he found FOTR. I'm glad I read The Hobbit first as it was a nice warmup and got me pumped to read LOTR. I finished reading FOTR just before the movie came out.

malickfan
Gondor

Mar 28 2016, 11:22am

Post #6 of 9 (501 views)
Shortcut
Technically it was The Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I have very vague memories of reading it in primary school (maybe for a homework assignment?), though I didn't connect it with LOTR or properly experience the story until around six or seven years ago, and as such it's hard to say whether my first impressions of the novel were actually first impressions or not...

The first book I 'properly' read was LOTR, in 2007, though I had watched the trilogy many times before.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 29 2016, 4:12pm

Post #7 of 9 (486 views)
Shortcut
LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

when I was 15. Took me until years later to read The Hobbit, so I was an adult by then. I wish I'd read The Hobbit first, because after LOTR it seemed rather, well, twee - not a style I enjoy. Once they got past the trolls it improved, but had I not read the more mature book first, I think I would have like The Hobbit better.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Mar 30 2016, 3:37pm

Post #8 of 9 (475 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure how to answer this question... [In reply to] Can't Post

I first started with LOTR and got to about the 4th or 5th chapter when a friend told me I should read The Hobbit first. So, I set LOTR aside and read The Hobbit. If the question is which Tolkien book did I read first cover to cover its The Hobbit. If it simply which Tolkien book I read first it's LOTR.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Mar 30 2016, 10:14pm

Post #9 of 9 (467 views)
Shortcut
LotR... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I didn't really get into Tolkien until Peter Jackson's movies started to come out. I first read The Lord of the Rings when I was in college. It was so big (I bought the one volume edition) that I almost gave up on it and had to buy the final volume over at my local used bookstore so that I could finish it. I re-read it four more times (have the boxed set with images from the singular art books on the covers) and The Hobbit two more times (the last being just before the movies came out). I didn't read The Hobbit, Unfinished Tales, The Silmarillion, The Children of Hurin (I had the hardcover), and volumes 1,2,4,5 and 12 of the History of Middle-earth series until the movies came out.Smile

(This post was edited by Queen of Erebor on Mar 30 2016, 10:15pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.