The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So, no 6-film box set this March/April?

Arandir
Gondor

Mar 21 2016, 5:58pm

Post #1 of 6 (1016 views)
Shortcut
So, no 6-film box set this March/April? Can't Post

Not that I'm considering purchasing a set, but I would have thought that a 6-film theatrical version box set of both trilogies would find its way on the market around this time.

I also thought we'd eventually get another 6-film box set, extended this time, round about November/December.

As far as I can see, nothing in sight so far

Have the studios finally realised they've gone too far with the money-grabbing and are just giving us fans a breather? Laugh

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

LSF
Gondor

Mar 21 2016, 6:25pm

Post #2 of 6 (975 views)
Shortcut
I'm expecting... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm expecting an "Ultimate Edition" kind of thing with all six movies, with the EEs and more behind-the-scenes type stuff, which was semi-confirmed by Michael Pellerin. I'd estimate that within a few years.

As for a theatrical version 6-movie set... yeah maybe WB is waiting a bit to not annoy fans too much with releasing so many different versions so close together? I can see them doing it christmas time this year.

wizzardly
Rohan

Mar 21 2016, 10:53pm

Post #3 of 6 (920 views)
Shortcut
i wouldn't worry [In reply to] Can't Post

Something tells me they haven't changed their "money-grabbing" ways. I'm sure they'll have something thrown together in time for the black friday hordes.

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 21 2016, 11:26pm

Post #4 of 6 (911 views)
Shortcut
ooooooh, take my money, PLZ [In reply to] Can't Post

Have the studios finally realised they've gone too far with the money-grabbing and are just giving us fans a breather?

I don't careTongue. If they put out a set with that *mythical * finished dwarf/Thranduil scene alone I wouldn't be able to get my card out fast enough.Tongue I don't want a BREATHER, I want MORE of PJ's Hobbit.

I don't want "dark and gritty" Batman! Wonder Woman looks like a size zero e.g. like a puff of air would blow her over! Good guys getting mad and trashing entire cities is getting old! The Huntsman isn't Middle Earth! Speaking of money grabs - Independence Day? How many of those Underworld movies are they gonna put out? A movie called Sausage Party? Thank the Valar for some TV series (Beowulf, GOT, Vikings) so I can get my quasi-historical fantasy fix. And for booksHeart, of courseTongue.

(And while they're at it, WETA can 1) finish those little barrel rider figures and 2) create the Thorin on ram, dwarves in battle cart, and Thranduil-on-elk figures of my dreams...Cool)

But no. PJ - and WETA for that matter - seem to be either laying low or doing other thingsUnsure. I suppose tho, looking back - perhaps, someone is looking at the foul-up IMO with the BOFA EE release (the obliviousness to the fan community and the uneven release dates) and going to try to do better....ANYWAY I WISH there were something around entertainment related I was in a *frenzy* over (besides GOT) but I'm not seeing anything to be fiscally irresponsible aboutEvil. Oh, for the good 'ol days of multiple visits to the local IMAX for a repeat view of the Hobbit films, and anxiously tracking those collector sets coming in the mail from Amazon!Angelic

I suppose I could try to get into Star Wars, but it's just not the same. Not when your favorite character is a 'wee ball droid. There's no HAIR, for one thing.Cool

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 22 2016, 9:03am

Post #5 of 6 (829 views)
Shortcut
I think it's too soon [In reply to] Can't Post

Even as a collector, I feel the fatigue from multiple editions that add little (or almost no) value.

I don't really want a box set of all 6 movies just so I can have a box set of all 6 movies. I would rather they wait a few years and release one with some additions to the films/appendices that are genuinely going to add value to the purchase.

Just my thoughts anyway :)

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

squiggle
Rivendell

Mar 22 2016, 1:11pm

Post #6 of 6 (796 views)
Shortcut
Probably hard to track but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be interesting overtime to track the home ownership of the Hobbit and LoTRs ees.

The second hand market makes it abit more difficult in relation to the LotR ees, but the Hobbit trilogy ees will surely grow as they are abit more under the radar and the type of thing that people will gradually discover for themselves which will then lead on to the LotR ees also if not already.

It may be more a untrumpeted type of slow burn popularity so if that was how it is, limited edition type sets could be how it's done in the future.

In regards to a breather, as long as they are available, gives pretty good options for another potential middle earth cinematic trilogy or something in a decades time for fan base type of foundation if they want to do so - Radagast, the two blue wizards & the middle earth lands that were lost in time & even too crazy for Sauron to handle, needing to be cleansed before the fourth age of middle earth could come together Evil

I could see why wouldn't be a six film theatrical set put out, can be bought singularly and as far as fandom goes, if buying a six set edition then the shining jewel is the 6 ee experience.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.