The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sometimes, it's the little things...

LSF
Gondor

Mar 11 2016, 7:37pm

Post #1 of 17 (1843 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes, it's the little things... Can't Post

What are some of your favorite little details in these movies? In costume, makeup, weapons, props, sets, environments, actor performances?

Some of mine are:

James Nesbitt can be very subtle as Bofur, like in the AUJ and BOFA conversations with Bilbo.
Bifur's black/white striped braids.
Thranduil's swords having those cut-outs all along the blade.
Azog's skirt of flayed dwarf faces.
Dwalin's ear missing a big chunk off the top.
Bofur's animal tusk earring.
Dragon claw scratches in the walls of Erebor's entrance hall.
Balin getting teary-eyed when they open the hidden door.

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 11 2016, 8:42pm

Post #2 of 17 (1755 views)
Shortcut
Hands....and..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I notice hands - Gandalf's hands in Bree are broken-nailed and dirty, Thorin's hands (amazing dwarf hands and hobbit feet) at the hidden door are dirty; Bilbo's torn fingers in AUJ.

And dirt and sweat on whoever, probably because I like hand work and know perfectly well hands get banged up, cut, and dirty; faces get damp with sweat. I haven't been able to catch anyone squeak-y clean when they shouldn't be, and I appreciate that. Like Nori's 'do looking pretty flyway after the goblin chase.

The way every dwarf is constantly reacting in a scene, no-one was sleeping on the job.Heart

The rotting duckweed in the Mirkwood stream; the unbelievable spiders (the way a leg comes down right near Bilbo when he is beginning to be grabbed - who thinks of that, and it's perfect).

Forges' fire; Smaug's fire - sometimes I think no-one does fire better than WETA. Also Smaug torching Laketown.

The icy sterile beauty of Ravenhill - the light used, and the sense of windblown snow.

The "singing" noise of the twirly-whirlies.

The texture and hair of Thranduil's elk.

The texture of the Erebor stone.

All of the homey little clutter in Bag End, even the labels on the bottles in Bilbo's kitchen

The texture and set dressing of Laketown - the glass globes, the sense of damp wood

Hilda Bianca's beaded cap

The sense of awfulness about the tombs in the High Fells

The way the witch-king oozes over the stone to stab Radagast.

Galadriel's "white net" dress in DG

The bees at Beorn's. And the carvings in his home, the beeswax candles.

The way Beorn says "Safe? The elves of Mirkwood are not like their kin. They're less wise, and more dangerous. But it matters not..." + Beorn and Gandalf.

The way Thorin looks at Gandalf re Orcrist, and then almost defiantly pulls the sword out to look it over...

Legolas doing that twirly thing with his bow at the bridge

Thorin giving the Goblin King pretty much an up-yours look, and all the dwarves.Cool

The way Bilbo gives his speech after the goblin chase and the look in his eyes *sob*

Tauriel's kick in Bard's house

The way the elven path looks so broken and uneven, most of the time...the shiny mushrooms and sense of humidity in Mirkwood

The eagle feathers blowing in the wind as the Company is carried.

The sense of a cool morning re the carrock, and the feel of a fallen warrior re Thorin; the texture of the stone under him, the blood soaking into the fur of his jacket

The sense of bleakness at the lake, after Smaug's attack

Seeing Gloin working a chisel at EreborHeart, when Thorin order the gate blocked

Bombur's face at Bilbo/Thorin re the Arkenstone

Fili trying to stop Thorin

Thorin's look at Legolas and his very brief look at Orcrist before stalking towards Azog

Thorin slipping and falling during that fight...

The way the burning buildings crack under Smaug's feet

LOL I can't stop.....TongueCoolTongue

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 11 2016, 9:08pm

Post #3 of 17 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Fili's bootaxes [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what comes to mind right now - I LOVE the concept, and it's so sad he never really got to use them. I don't even seem to have a picture of them. I also like Thorin's ring and Kili's runestone - in fact, I want one! (Don't seem to have a picture of those, eitherMad) *Must - not - mention - Thorin's - hair! Must - NOT!*

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Dwarewien
Rohan

Mar 11 2016, 11:29pm

Post #4 of 17 (1705 views)
Shortcut
I don't notice the little things... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I'm paying more attention to the whole picture. For example, I didn't even notice that Thorin wore an earring until someone mentioned it on a forum (probably TORN, but I'm not certain). The only thing that I did notice is the look on Balin's face when Thorin tells him what he told Thranduil in dwarvish. It was almost like he was thinking: "Oh, terrific, now how are we supposed to get out of here?" That scene in DoS still cracks me up! And it still amazes me that Thorin was able to trick Smaug into lighting the forges by yelling insults at him (I love it when Thorin insults people). Didn't Smaug know it was a trick? Or was he too concerned about punishing those that were trying to reclaim Erebor after all that time? Another thing I noticed was the big claw mark on the throne of Erebor (more noticeable in BoFA, since they show it more). Also, the look on Bilbo's face when Bofur tells him what Smaug might do to him (if he told me a similar thing, I don't think I would have fainted, since I'm more adventurous than Bilbo is, and don't scare that easily, being both a Stephen King and Jurassic Park fan).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 12 2016, 1:49am

Post #5 of 17 (1687 views)
Shortcut
*Snigger* [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2016, 1:53am

Post #6 of 17 (1683 views)
Shortcut
Where was this meme [In reply to] Can't Post

when I needed it, starting circa 2012? Laugh

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kim
Valinor

Mar 12 2016, 2:42am

Post #7 of 17 (1671 views)
Shortcut
Birdhouses [In reply to] Can't Post

There's one outside of Bag End, one outside of the ruined farmhouse in Trollshaws, and a crooked one outside of Radagast's house. I just love that little touch.

And I love all of the items others have listed so far - so many great details! Smile

Kim
Valinor

Mar 12 2016, 2:43am

Post #8 of 17 (1664 views)
Shortcut
Excellent question // [In reply to] Can't Post

lionoferebor
Rohan

Mar 12 2016, 3:06am

Post #9 of 17 (1664 views)
Shortcut
Great post [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine...
- The bright rich colors of Dale as it is seen in the AUJ prologue
- The doll burning in the streets of Dale
- The jar of honey on Bilbo's table
- When Thorin says to Gandalf, "I cannot guarantee his safety. Nor will I be responsible for his fate." Those words break my heart...if only Thorin knew.
- The signed contract left on Bilbo's table
- The look of 'oh crud' on Fili's and Kili's faces when they realize they lost the ponies
- The way Balin spins his sword (or whatever it is) while fighting the goblins in Goblin Town.
- The black cat at the Prancing Pony
- Bombur passing everyone to escape Beorn
- The rope Fili carries into Mirkwood, I wonder if the Elves used it to tie the dwarves together?
- The Master of Lake-town...he's just as I pictured him in the book
- Dwalin's ever-so gentle approach toward children LaughAngelic
- Tilda: Will they bring us luck?
- The way Smaug's chest glows like a burning coal before he's about to burn something
- Pretty much anything Smaug says
- How Nori comforts Ori as they watch Lake-town burn
- Fili and Kili coming face-to-face with the antagonist of their childhood stories
- The look on Elrond's face when 'dark' Galadriel rises up at Dol Guldur
- The look on Bilbo's face when Thranduil calls him out for stealing the keys
- Fili's concern for others and how he puts this into action
- The term 'twirly-whirlies' and the fact Dain says it makes it even better.
- The black streaks of Orc blood on Dwalin's head at Ravenhill
- The sour puss on Lobelia Sackville-Baggins face...if looks could kill.
- Bilbo's handkerchief
- Fili's hair
- Thorin's hair
- The Elves how they are so much alike and yet so different
- Bilbo's little quirks and mannerisms
- Those Durin blue eyes

I could go on and on....

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 12 2016, 7:31pm

Post #10 of 17 (1566 views)
Shortcut
Memes? Memes you say? Huh.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pre-AUJ release - myself, and many others I suspect, had some real issues on their handsShocked. I mean, dwarf pictures had trickled out, and even some *depressed slackers* like myself hand *magically* (OMG, just like an epic fantasy story where "you hear your master's call" *snigger*Evil) and unknowingly and innocently as any hobbit clicked a link, and were struggling to cope with the powerful surge of FEELSTongue. I mean, we are talking:

and

and most of all:

Many - and I count myself among them - suffered from a most welcome SEARING of heart, mind, and soulShocked....

Look, a lot of us - to this day - don't have enough brain cells left to cobble together a memeCool. You think you're "better". Maybe you haven't seen the Hobbit in a while, maybe life is being a pain in the &^%, maybe you've seen the movies a zillion times, maybe you've become a Star Wars fan and are feverishly tracking those websites, maybe your cat just threw up a hair ball on the rug that you need to cope with....

But, after all, we ARE speaking of Thorin Oakenshield, yes? The SHADOW and the FLAMEHeartHeartHeart...

I think I just MIGHT be able to figure out how to work the remote.TongueTongueTongue

PS. Oops, I think this counts as "thread derailment.Blush" Not my fault tho. Evil (Can you HEAR the SCREECHING? That's the sound of my nails slipping across the desk, as I lose will and thought and sink into the silken velvet coiling darkness of Thorin's surging ice-kissed hair...)

UmmmShocked. OMGHeart. There can be only ONE...AngelicEvil

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 12 2016, 7:51pm

Post #11 of 17 (1555 views)
Shortcut
PS. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know, I knowCool. To this day folks who repair theater seats and install improved ventilation systems and fire alarms
toast Peter Jackson and Richard Armitage.Wink

(This post was edited by Avandel on Mar 12 2016, 7:52pm)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2016, 8:07pm

Post #12 of 17 (1543 views)
Shortcut
You know, I did hear that... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(Can you HEAR the SCREECHING? That's the sound of my nails slipping across the desk, as I lose will and thought and sink into the silken velvet coiling darkness of Thorin's surging ice-kissed hair...)

I thought it was me. AngelicWink

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Dwarewien
Rohan

Mar 12 2016, 11:22pm

Post #13 of 17 (1512 views)
Shortcut
Substitute Star Wars for Jurassic Park... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Maybe you haven't seen the Hobbit in a while, maybe life is being a pain in the &^%, maybe you've seen the movies a zillion times, maybe you've become a Star Wars fan and are feverishly tracking those websites, maybe your cat just threw up a hair ball on the rug that you need to cope with....

and you've pretty much summed up what's happened to me, since I haven't seen the Hobbit movies in months (it may be Christmas before I get up the nerve to watch the Extended Edition of BoFA, seriously), and I don't faint (though I may feel a little faint when I'm not eating properly, since I have a bad habit of skipping meals, which have nothing to do with Thorin or any other entertainment related obsession. I'm just too lazy to make myself a sandwich or something to eat).

I love that second pic you posted, since I've been a ocean aficionado ever since the movie Titanic. Most of the movies I'm into at the moment have something to do with the ocean (even the parks in Jurassic Park/World are located on a tropical island, that I would love to travel to by boat, like they do in Jurassic World).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 13 2016, 12:52am

Post #14 of 17 (1479 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, well. I can use the new grooves in my desk as a sort of pencil tray....

AngelicCool

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 13 2016, 12:53am

Post #15 of 17 (1481 views)
Shortcut
If only... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2016, 4:50pm

Post #16 of 17 (1408 views)
Shortcut
The attention to details [In reply to] Can't Post

I never get tired of scanning the backgrounds in these movies because the attention to details is just phenomenal. Some details that spring to mind on the spur of the moment:

The soot stains on the walls of Bag End above the candle holders

The rough fabric and the dirt around the hem of Gandalf's robe

Thranduil's perfectly manicured nails (naturally)

The patchwork dresses of Bard's daughter's

Nori's flyaway hair after every adventure

That little humming sound we hear when Thorin draws Orcrist

All of the expressions on the white warg's face

That flicker of blue in Smaug's fire just before he blasts it out of his throat

The gems in Smaug's scales

The way that in every scene the people in the background are always doing something.

And the list could go on and on - every scene is just wonderful in it's layers and layers of detail. Thank goodness for the "pause" button.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 18 2016, 1:01am

Post #17 of 17 (1190 views)
Shortcut
Here's another one [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't believe I didn't mention this before - at the beginning of AUJ, when old Bilbo starts writing, you can see replicas of Orchrist and Glamdring on the wall behind him! Wish I had a screencap of that!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.