The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
LATE mini-review LEGO An Unexpected Gathering Bag End #79003

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 28 2016, 6:30pm

Post #1 of 3 (1228 views)
Shortcut
LATE mini-review LEGO An Unexpected Gathering Bag End #79003 Can't Post

Why comment on a build set that was released, I guess, back in 2012? Well, I figure there might be a few other folks like me, panicking interested in the fact that apparently the LEGO corporation is retiring? and/or won't be making any more LOTR/Hobbit setsFrown.

And up to a few years ago, I personally wouldn't even have considered buying ANY LEGO - a kiddie toy *meh*. I even thought some disk set was pretty "chintzy" when it bundled a LEGO figure with the disk. These tiny things have nothing on my Funko POPs!Evil

Of course, hearing that LEGO has made IMO an unfortunate decision (where's Beorn's set with all the little animals?Frown) I HAD to have Bag End at least. Because I LIKE paying double for retired pieces of anythingCool.

So, roaming around the 'net, I find out that this set seems to pretty much get very high ratings by all: parents, teenagers, ME collectors, and all those adults who have re-discovered LEGOS and have basements full of sets. I stumbled into a new world! One person described it as "being their favorite set, ever."

And, as I spend hours (seriously) assembling this "kiddie toy" with its 4 bags of a 4,786,098 partsShocked and those bags within the bags and 2 booklets of detailed instructions and pour myself a drink (over not being able to find that ONE tiny 1/4" triangle thing and/or am I supposed to use the tiny square with the open hole or the closed hole), I wonder why, laughably, I thought this would be RELAXINGShocked. But I slowly fall in loveCool. With this set, anyway. Right about when I notice this detail:

OMG, the FIREPLACE has this 'wee grate. A WEE GRATE. And the way the flames are done - so clever! Looks like there are tiny bottles and whatnot too.*SQUEE!* I love miniature stuff....Heart

Yes, indeed. Halfway through building this thing, uncomfortably aware that the average 10-year old would probably be done by now. I am truly proud that I am able to wrestle down occasional feelings of terror, when I look at the contents of each of those 4 bags. (Although, there IS something satisfying in a tactile kind of way, as you push the bricks together. Like kneading bread or gardening - it's kind of soothingCool. And it's kind of fascinating watching this thing take shape, like building an IKEA dresser.)

Much like the Company, this activity has attracted the most terrifying kind of attentionShocked. Like a warg pack, but cuterCool. I persevere. A headache starts to form. I keep an eye on my stalkerLaugh, knowing that THERE ARE NO DUPLICATE PARTS. To LOSE anything is on the level of losing the Arkenstone. Oh, and the *precious* figures included in this set - Gandalf, Bilbo (a version where he is in his suspenders), Balin, Dwalin, Bofur, and Bombur - well, they are all in pieces scattered through those 4 bags of a zillion parts. And oh, NO. There are some pieces they want you to apply stickers to *&^%$#. I try to keep my hands from shaking...FAIL *&^^%$$......ShockedShockedShocked

It was well into the evening when I finished. But doneCool. The all-important door even has the rune on it. It's a cuteness overloadHeart! Need to switch out the knob, tho. This HAS to look exactly like the picture on the box *twitch*.Crazy

As someone on a "LEGO brick lover" site commented, with any LEGO "specialty" set from a film, you're likely to be missing key characters. GreatFrown. So I had already ordered the Durins ahead of timeCool. I still need the rest of the dwarves, tho, IF I can get them $$$$.ShockedShockedShocked

But it was finally a chance to get something besides soup into ThorinCool. (I wasn't PLAYING with it when I was done. Really. I was STAGING A DIORAMA. Just because I had to make sure Thorin got a nice chicken leg doesn't mean ANYTHINGAngelic.)

Summary: Well, I'm not going to go into a lot of detail, because this set has been out for a while, and there are reviews on Amazon and elsewhere - here's a great YouTube review from "brickqueen":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBzVxO3BN7Y

So I guess the question is, should you grab this set and other LOTR/Hobbit stuff before it fades into the *pricey* realm of collector sites and E-bay...IMO, for this set (which is the only one I have experience with) - it's a definite YES. Someone on Amazon described this set design as a "labor of love" for LEGO and I hafta agree with that, based on the numerous detailsHeart - the little desk and the red book and the included maps, the unbelievably clever way the round windows and doors were done, Bilbo's bench and the scattered flowers, the little bottles and plates and food - it's not a WETA sculpt but it screams charm and Hobbit and Bag End. It's engaging to build for an adult, reasonably sturdy, and looks great as a collectible when completeHeart.

Cons would be, I guess, that apparently a set with ALL the dwarves wasn't put out $$$Frown. And having a pair of long, blunt forceps might be useful moving stuff around. And some of the pieces are real tiny and easy to lose. Some folks have complained that the tree on the roof could have been done better (not sure I have an opinion, and besides, I have family members who do model railroads who could help, if I want to fuss).

(And just because I found out, in my LEGO information quest, that you can buy base plates and more bricks and thoughts are flashing through my head of, like, maybe extending this set and making it bigger and the table longer and maybe adding Bilbo's bedroom and looking into whether LEGO makes, you know, ponies, doesn't mean I'm in troubleTongue. I'm not. I'm just thinking, that's allCoolCrazyAngelic.)

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Feb 28 2016, 7:27pm

Post #2 of 3 (1218 views)
Shortcut
Great review [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Bag End set. I have almost all Hobbit and Lord of the Rings lego sets ( the only once I have left is Dale, black gate, the pirate ship and Gandalf vs Saruman).

In Reply To
And oh, NO. There are some pieces they want you to apply stickers to *&^%$#. I try to keep my hands from shaking...FAIL *&^^%$$

I know what you mean, stickers is a nightmare.

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 2 2016, 4:03pm

Post #3 of 3 (1156 views)
Shortcut
LOL I have a new hobby (well, a little) [In reply to] Can't Post

Good for you and anyone who has the LEGO sets. Having Bag End in hand for a few days, and reading more about LEGOs and the corporation and seeing some more LEGO vids and reviews - IMO, just TOO clever and too well done.HeartHeartHeart

I THINK I've decided I want the Barrels set. Still thinking. But I love that whole scene and the chase.Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.