Questions to the community!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Mar 1 2016, 12:25am

Post #26 of 30 (614 views)
Shortcut
No way that's too much [In reply to] Can't Post

'It'll go over well,' I think to myself as I begin to watch my heathen films sipping on a can of Bud Light that's been poured into a champagne glass.

"And you can trust me. Because I don't care enough about you to lie."
- Parks and Recreation

(This post was edited by TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense on Mar 1 2016, 12:27am)

squire
Half-elven

Mar 1 2016, 2:41am

Post #27 of 30 (623 views)
Shortcut
Puts on cardigan and slippers, pets dog, lights pipe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice dig about TORn being too wholesome for its own good!

Actually, I don't go to any other 'popular message boards', so I'll take your word for it that they're edgier and more unpleasant. In fact, I don't even go to this site's Hobbit Movie board, because it became edgy and unpleasant four or five years ago.

Like a lot of other thin-skinned Tolkien fans, I cherish TORn's other boards because the emphasis - enforced by good-humored and long-suffering moderators - is on enjoying the discussions and the inimitable source material, not the thrill of gladiatorial combat and the hot taste of a blood-cult's prey.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 1 2016, 4:21am

Post #28 of 30 (601 views)
Shortcut
Der alte Sturm, die alte Müh. [In reply to] Can't Post

More than ten years ago, two splinter groups of TORN members started their own invitation-only message boards to offer what they felt TORN couldn't. One group felt these forums were too soft, the other felt they were too hard. I think a few people ended up being part of both groups!

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Mar 1 2016, 2:12pm

Post #29 of 30 (582 views)
Shortcut
Though I'm personally one for more heated, aggressive debate [In reply to] Can't Post

Too often these other boards will devolve into insults, name-calling and will wander so far off-point, it's hard to remember what began the rift in the first place. I love that there's a safe haven to discuss Tolkien and the films borne out of his work without this kind of threatening behavior being tolerated, even if it does get a tad 'P.C.' for my tastes.

"And you can trust me. Because I don't care enough about you to lie."
- Parks and Recreation

colinator95

May 1 2016, 8:20pm

Post #30 of 30 (240 views)
Shortcut
The Importance of LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR is important to us because of its similarities to the real world. The different races described in the books can be related to the history of race in our society. The tense and historical relationship between Dwarves and Elves can be related to the conflict of race during the civil rights movement of the 1960's. The poor treatment of multiple races in LOTR and in real life has had nothing but a negative impact on society and in the world (realm).
The destruction of the forests in the Two Towers can be compared to the rise of industrialization and ecological travesties. Saruman realized that destroying the Old Forest to build his army was a major mistake because nature ended up fighting back. In the real world, we are now seeing nature fight back against humanity with melting ice caps, rising temperatures and the destruction of habitats once peacefully inhabited by many plants and animals.
Finally, the power of the One Ring can be compared to humanity's greed. As we see in the book, people change when they either carry the ring or are eager to obtain it. Boromir wants the ring to bring power back to Minas Tirith and uses violence towards Frodo to try and obtain it. People in the real world change when their want for something overpowers them. They will do anything to get what they want, even if they have to hurt someone or something along the way. Companies have shown their lust for power when they have a monopoly on a certain good. They have the power to raise their prices and customers have no choice but to purchase their goods. Monopolistic companies prevent other companies from entering the industry. These companies try to make as much money as possible without any interference. They don't care about the people, they care about how much money goes into their pockets.
The LOTR novels are not only a good read, but they provide life lessons that make people realize that the negative events that unfold in novel are similar to that of humanity's actions in real life.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.