The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Weird creature

lionoferebor
Rohan

Feb 27 2016, 6:02am

Post #1 of 15 (1208 views)
Shortcut
Weird creature Can't Post

When the Company is fighting the spiders, Bilbo ends up off on his own fighting a weird, white/ beige creature with multiple legs. Does anyone know what that thing is?

LSF
Gondor

Feb 27 2016, 6:19am

Post #2 of 15 (1173 views)
Shortcut
- [In reply to] Can't Post

some sort of giant arthropod creature, possibly based on the sea scorpion and horseshoe crab type. They wanted something not "evil-looking" and non-aggressive for Bilbo to kill to show the ring's effect on him.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2016, 11:59am

Post #3 of 15 (1132 views)
Shortcut
It's a ridiculous leftover from King Kong :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

(This post was edited by Earl on Feb 27 2016, 12:01pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 27 2016, 1:16pm

Post #4 of 15 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Giant woodlouse? // [In reply to] Can't Post

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Bofur01
Lorien

Feb 27 2016, 2:00pm

Post #5 of 15 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Didn't they say it was a trapdoor spider in the appendices? // [In reply to] Can't Post

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 27 2016, 2:58pm

Post #6 of 15 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Non-aggressive, sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it was icky.

I think the idea was to show something small, white and innocent. That Bilbo effectively murders over his claim on the ring. But I'm not sure it translated well, because that thing was ugly and needed to die Laugh

lionoferebor
Rohan

Feb 27 2016, 3:44pm

Post #7 of 15 (1082 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...I'm not sure it translated well, because that thing was ugly and needed to die Laugh

I am actually more creeped out by it than I am the spiders.

LSF
Gondor

Feb 27 2016, 7:43pm

Post #8 of 15 (1045 views)
Shortcut
- [In reply to] Can't Post

It translated well for me. It was cute enough, especially with that squeaky-hissing sound it made. And I am not someone who likes creepy-crawlies at all. Though for some reason making spiders and such giant-sized actually decreases the scare/creepy factor for me.

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 27 2016, 8:34pm

Post #9 of 15 (1037 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

...About the big spiders. Shelob wasn't too scary for me, until that wide-shot looking down where she looks smaller (because the camera is further away) she looks more like a real spider, very creepy.

One of the creepiest moments in all six movies is when the spider is wrapping Bilbo up and there's this split second before we cut to the next shot where the spider strikes this really realistic and sinister pose. Makes my skin crawl. Again, the camera is far away and spider appears smaller, so it looks creepier to me.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Feb 27 2016, 8:35pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2016, 8:46pm

Post #10 of 15 (1027 views)
Shortcut
It was the rapid appearance of her legs [In reply to] Can't Post

coming out of the hole above Bilbo that creeped me out - very realistic movement.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 27 2016, 9:03pm

Post #11 of 15 (1015 views)
Shortcut
I dunno... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Didn't they say it was a trapdoor spider in the appendices?

I don't know, maybe. But when we take a good look at it, the creature is clearly not a spider, even if it is difficult to put a name to it (Shirley?).

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 29 2016, 9:45pm

Post #12 of 15 (843 views)
Shortcut
I hated that scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly because it replaced one of the scenes in the book was Bilbo telling the Company about the Riddles contest, which I guess they couldn't figure out how to fit that in, so they put in this scene instead. I don't know what it was, either, except that it clearly wasn't a spider. I got the idea that it was old, from the wheezing sound & slow movements, so supposedly not a threat, but who can tell if you don't even know what it is?

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Fereth
Rivendell

Feb 29 2016, 10:01pm

Post #13 of 15 (840 views)
Shortcut
I didn't like it either. [In reply to] Can't Post

But because I just found it to be so creepy and unsettling. I get they wanted to show Bilbo's shock at how the ring was affecting him, but I wound up feeling like I was watching some horror flick and not a fantasy film.

Nuradar
Rohan

Mar 3 2016, 12:23pm

Post #14 of 15 (751 views)
Shortcut
Not sure exactly what kind of animal it was, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

..I understand their intent with this scene. Trouble is, for me, it didn't quite work as planned. It was supposed to be a non-threatening, innocent animal, yet it was QUITE HUGE and creepy looking.

I think it would have worked better if it was a smaller, furry animal, perhaps a large rodent-type animal (but smaller than the crab-looking thing they used).

LSF
Gondor

Mar 3 2016, 1:24pm

Post #15 of 15 (746 views)
Shortcut
eh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't go with any type of mammal. Non-aggressive large rodent, large dog, anything... It would be too much, I think. It would be too instantly monstrous for Bilbo to kill it like that. Keeping the creature within the arthropod family does give Bilbo an excuse or added motivation for killing it, He could have at first glance mistaken it for another spider. It keeps a balance between adrenaline-fueled killing and being influenced by the ring.

Seeing him kill anything instantly sympathetic and possibly cute like most mammals might've crossed that line too much.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.