Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The best Star Wars ending scene...(spoilers)

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Feb 26 2016, 8:50pm

Post #1 of 16 (223 views)
Shortcut
The best Star Wars ending scene...(spoilers) Can't Post

Out of all the Star Wars movies which one had the best ending scene? Was it the Gungan parade? Yub Nub? The throne room? The tearful return of Luke Skywalker? Etc.

Mine is the TFA ending scene. Gives me chills every time and J.J. did a beautiful job. Can't wait for Episode VIII!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 26 2016, 9:13pm

Post #2 of 16 (186 views)
Shortcut
I think I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've loved Star Wars since 1977, and that last scene in TFA was amazing. Maybe some of it was nostalgia for me. But I loved it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

malickfan
Gondor

Feb 26 2016, 9:27pm

Post #3 of 16 (182 views)
Shortcut
It's a tie between ESB and TFA for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...both were brilliant cliffhanger's (with John Williams on fine form) that left me fulfilled, but also desperate to see the story continued, Hamill's acting in that single scene was great and Luke looks bad*ss as a haunted, aged exile...let's hope Episode 8 follows up on it in an interesting direction...

The worst ending is undoubtedly The Holiday Special

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Feb 26 2016, 9:54pm

Post #4 of 16 (180 views)
Shortcut
The throne room [In reply to] Can't Post

The ending for episode IV is my favorite, it has great music, great acting and it is a good way to end the film.

malickfan
Gondor

Feb 26 2016, 10:07pm

Post #5 of 16 (184 views)
Shortcut
The Throne room scene is great...but take away the music and something seems a little...off... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as this shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-GZJhfBmI

That may just be my sense of humour, but it's amazing how well Williams score complements/enhances the film...

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Feb 26 2016, 10:29pm

Post #6 of 16 (180 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

That was awkward. Yes you where right, without Williams score that scene feels weird.

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 26 2016, 10:39pm

Post #7 of 16 (169 views)
Shortcut
Same as yours - TFA [In reply to] Can't Post

Although the cliffhanger DROVE ME NUTS.

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website
My LOTR-inspired fantasy novel is on Amazon

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Feb 26 2016, 10:40pm

Post #8 of 16 (169 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Although the cliffhanger DROVE ME NUTS.

I remember seeing it in the theater freaking out it was Luke and then the credits and I was like Darth Vader in ROS. "NOO!!!"

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2016, 1:25am

Post #9 of 16 (161 views)
Shortcut
Williams all the way [In reply to] Can't Post

His music is absolutely the best thing about the series, and especially the prequels, IMO! Heart I hope that wonderful man lives a long life...and not entirely because I want him to be able to score the last two of the sequel trilogy. Blush

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2016, 1:39am

Post #10 of 16 (157 views)
Shortcut
That's a tough question [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to hedge and say NOT the Gungun parade...the children of the planet celebrating to a spritely version of Palpatine's theme? Nooooooooooo! ShockedPirate

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Feb 27 2016, 4:57am

Post #11 of 16 (149 views)
Shortcut
This might be one of the only things [In reply to] Can't Post

"TFA" easily wins. Amazing final scene, though I was half-expecting the lightsabre to suddenly float towards Luke before the credits, and I feel if that had happened (with proper timing and speed of the sabre), it would have been in the running for one of the coolest final shots ever.

"And you can trust me. Because I don't care enough about you to lie."
- Parks and Recreation

GolwenOfRivendell

Mar 4 2016, 2:35pm

Post #12 of 16 (99 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't decide between ANH, ESB, and TPM... Maybe in this order:
ESB, ANH, TPM.. Laugh

I started walking around without any shoes and it sorta became a hobbit...

moreorless
Gondor

Mar 4 2016, 3:37pm

Post #13 of 16 (96 views)
Shortcut
It still feels a bit cheap to me though... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"TFA" easily wins. Amazing final scene, though I was half-expecting the lightsabre to suddenly float towards Luke before the credits, and I feel if that had happened (with proper timing and speed of the sabre), it would have been in the running for one of the coolest final shots ever.

The endings in the OT were all emotional payoffs/comedowns to drama that had built across the film. in TFA on the other hand we end with a cliffhanger that lets be honest the film itself didn't do much to build up, its more just seeing Luke again for the OT where the drama comes.

Honestly if I was Rian Johnson directing the follow up I would be pretty pissed at Abrams for stealing that scene from my film where it naturally belonged and could have been used much more effectively rather than as a cheap cliffhanger.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 4 2016, 4:55pm

Post #14 of 16 (92 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

One of things that makes Star Wars a truly landmark film is Lucas' innovative and integral use of sound, not just in sound design and editing, but in music. Ben Burtt and John Williams both were brilliant in bringing Lucas' concepts to life.

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Mar 5 2016, 12:09am

Post #15 of 16 (78 views)
Shortcut
I guess that depends on what we think is a cheap cliffhanger [In reply to] Can't Post

For a movie that pulls a ton of cheap crap, I'm not so sure the end qualifies and is really an emotional payoff of sorts. From the opening title scrawl to the persistent mystery of "Where is Luke?" to the entire plot being tied to a map that would direct the Republic to his whereabouts, coming across him at the very end of the movie plays out like both a payoff to a central concern of the film as well as a cliffhanger for the next one.

I also think it's an exciting jumping-off point for Episode VIII and I'm much more excited to see where it goes from here than I ever was for this movie itself.

"And you can trust me. Because I don't care enough about you to lie."
- Parks and Recreation

moreorless
Gondor

Mar 7 2016, 5:57pm

Post #16 of 16 (61 views)
Shortcut
The problem is really that Luke isnt focused on very much at all [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
For a movie that pulls a ton of cheap crap, I'm not so sure the end qualifies and is really an emotional payoff of sorts. From the opening title scrawl to the persistent mystery of "Where is Luke?" to the entire plot being tied to a map that would direct the Republic to his whereabouts, coming across him at the very end of the movie plays out like both a payoff to a central concern of the film as well as a cliffhanger for the next one.

I also think it's an exciting jumping-off point for Episode VIII and I'm much more excited to see where it goes from here than I ever was for this movie itself.

The problem is that really TFA isn't actually about the search for Luke very much at all. The map is introduced as a McGruffin early on but the importance of Luke and what finding him might mean is largely ignored for the vast majority of the film.

Come the end I don't think the reveal of Luke having drama is down to what TFA has built up at all, its simply down to seeing Luke again for the first time since the OT.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.