Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How Old Were You When You First Watched LOTR?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How Old Were You When You First Watched LOTR?
Between 6 and 9
Between 10 and 13
Between 14 and 17
Between 18 and 20
Older than 25
View Results (57 votes)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 27 2016, 6:08am

Post #26 of 44 (990 views)
Shortcut
That's one of the things I love about it too <3 // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 27 2016, 6:11am

Post #27 of 44 (993 views)
Shortcut
Annael and I were both on TORn before Jackson's LotR came out :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Feb 27 2016, 8:02am

Post #28 of 44 (991 views)
Shortcut
14 years old [In reply to] Can't Post

First read the hobbit at 6 years old (with help), re-read it many times until 12 when i was introduced to the lord of the rings, read that for a whole year (got stuck on council of elrond chapter which is now one of my favourites), heard a lord of the rings movies was coming out and so re-read it over the autumn before the film came out. It was great, i am pretty sure i was a target audience for it and for me the perfect age to see it. I thought it was the best thing i had ever seen in my life.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Feb 27 2016, 9:08am

Post #29 of 44 (988 views)
Shortcut
I was 15 when I saw "The Fellowship of the Ring" and I fell asleep my first viewing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Long day; exhaustion + 10:50 PM showing + was not a lover of fantasy; no experience with the novels = I slept like a baby after the half-hour mark.

Was talked into going back by an older friend from my church whom I greatly admired due to his unusually high intelligence and insight and I had never had such an intensely emotional reaction to a film before that day.

This profound connection to a motion picture has only been topped once since then: on December 17th, 2003 with "The Return of the King."

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 28 2016, 7:46am

Post #30 of 44 (958 views)
Shortcut
Early 60's. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Feb 28 2016, 5:33pm

Post #31 of 44 (949 views)
Shortcut
before some of these posters were BORN [In reply to] Can't Post

coming up on 17 years for me . . .

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2016, 7:29pm

Post #32 of 44 (942 views)
Shortcut
I was 40. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see the first 2 movies in the theater. I'd never read the books. Hubby brought home The Two Towers and I liked it so he handed me the books and I read all of them in just under 5 days. Trilogy Tuesday was the first time I watched the movies in the theater. My tween daughters and I made a road trip to my hometown because I could still get tickets there, I was 5 months pregnant with my 5th child and it was going to be the last time the three of us girls would get to do something like that for awhile. We had a blast! After that, I read the Sil and some of HOME and I've been wandering in Middle Earth ever since.

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 1 2016, 3:38am

Post #33 of 44 (897 views)
Shortcut
50. [In reply to] Can't Post

I waited at least 4-6 weeks after Fellowship came out. I didn't believe it wouldn't be horrible. Friends finally convinced me it was safe to see it. The huge theatre was nearly empty during the day in the middle of the week. I sat in the centre seat, and the magic happened. Unbelievably perfect, even with such a young Frodo - but those eyes! And Bag End. And Gandalf. And Sam. And Strider. And Rivendell. And Moria. And Lothlorien. OMG.

They'd done it, those wizards of Wellington.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Mar 2 2016, 12:06am

Post #34 of 44 (879 views)
Shortcut
Saw it when I was twelve [In reply to] Can't Post

with my mom, (who had already watched them years before and loved them) That was about two or three years before the Hobbit trilogy came out, which was pure heaven for three years until the release of the EE.
Still looking forward to the week after school ends to watch all six!

TaliaEmerald
Bree

Mar 2 2016, 3:16am

Post #35 of 44 (870 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

TaliaEmerald
Bree

Mar 2 2016, 3:17am

Post #36 of 44 (874 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's an amazing story! Being lost in Middle-earth is the best...Wink

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 2 2016, 6:05pm

Post #37 of 44 (853 views)
Shortcut
I guess I was 12. [In reply to] Can't Post

It depends on what month the movie came out. October birthdays can be awkward when calculating age relative to events that happened in a year. Crazy

Anyways, I really liked (and still like) Bakshi's film, and I regret that he never had the opportunity to complete it. Flaws and all.

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 2 2016, 6:08pm

Post #38 of 44 (854 views)
Shortcut
Bakshi didn't take me to Middle-earth, but neither did Jackson. [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest, I'm not sure I could claim that the books "take me to Middle-earth."

What does make me feel I've been there is eight years spent playing Lord of the Rings Online. I know I'll be heartbroken when they finally close the game down (not too soon, I hope), because I have felt like I've been there.

AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar
Bree

Mar 2 2016, 9:35pm

Post #39 of 44 (842 views)
Shortcut
Let's See [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a whopping 1 year old when Peter Jackson's Fellowship of the Ring came into theatres. I first read LoTR when I was 6, and I only watched the movies after I read the book, so I must've been 6 or 7.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Mar 2 2016, 11:38pm

Post #40 of 44 (839 views)
Shortcut
30ish... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I didn't really get into Tolkien until Peter Jackson's movies started to come out. I first read The Lord of the Rings when I was in college (which meant I was in my 20s), and almost gave up on it (since it was the first big book I've read, but it's still the thickest, since I had the one volume edition. I have the box set with scenes from the movies on the covers now. I bought them over when they got a new cover for The Hobbit when AUJ first came out) and had to rebuy the final volume at my local used bookstore. I've seen all the movies in theaters except for The Fellowship of the Ring, since I didn't get into it until a week after the DVD came out. Smile

TaliaEmerald
Bree

Mar 3 2016, 1:10am

Post #41 of 44 (827 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I was a year old when FOTR came out too!!! That's so cool! I would have jumped at the chase to go see LOTR in theaters...but I was a baby so I had no say in the matter. My dad went to go see all three in theaters though.Wink

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2016, 7:22pm

Post #42 of 44 (760 views)
Shortcut
I read the book in 1978 [In reply to] Can't Post

and fell in love with Legolas (because, riding horse without saddle or bridle).

And awaited the films with the hairy eyeball... go ahead, muck up my most favoritest fictional character ever...

he didn't.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 20 2016, 4:27pm

Post #43 of 44 (744 views)
Shortcut
I was 32 [In reply to] Can't Post

And had been a Tolkien fan for over 25 years. Smile

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Mar 10 2017, 4:47pm

Post #44 of 44 (403 views)
Shortcut
About 10, for the Fellowship of the Ring. Didn't watch the others until a couple years later. [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't watch Bakshi's until years later.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.