The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thorin's map

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Feb 22 2016, 9:51pm

Post #1 of 4 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's map Can't Post

I was watching all six movies together again (over a couple weeks) and noticed that at the end of BOTFA Thorin's map reads "Here of old was Thror King Under the Mountain", but at the beginning of FOTR the map reads "Here of old was Thrain King Under the Mountain".

Also at the bottom of the map in The Hobbit an arrow points to Greenwood the Great, since it became known as Mirkwood over the course of the movies. I couldn't see what it says in FOTR, but as the Hobbit movies were made years later I wouldn't be surprised if it said Mirkwood.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 22 2016, 11:38pm

Post #2 of 4 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

The map in FotR is a straightforward reproduction of Tolkien's map from the book. It's a bit more polished, but otherwise identical. Thrain refers to Thráin I who founded the Kingdom of Erebor.

Most of the changes on the Hobbit movie map reflect the changes made by Peter Jackson in the films.

Mirkwood is changed to Greenwood the Great (although the spider web remains in the corner); and the location of the Secret Door is moved. Note that the new map indicates the location of Ravenhill--although it places it where Tolkien described it and not north of Dale, much closer to the Front Gate of Erebor.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Feb 23 2016, 5:53pm

Post #3 of 4 (986 views)
Shortcut
That explains a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thrain refers to Thráin I who founded the Kingdom of Erebor.

I always thought it was Thorin's father that was on the map, but he was never king under the mountain so it could not be him, now everything makes sense.

Dose that mean that, when they are saying Thrain's arkenstone they mean Thrain I?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 23 2016, 6:16pm

Post #4 of 4 (981 views)
Shortcut
Thrain I [In reply to] Can't Post

Thráin I is a character that Tolkien created because when he was writing The Hobbit he had a problem keeping Thráin, the father of Thorin, and Thror straight. He accidentally placed Thráin's name on the map and then created the backstory of Thráin I, the first King under the Mountain in order to explain it.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.