Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Another year-another San Diego Comic Con shutout!

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Feb 20 2016, 6:48pm

Post #1 of 8 (952 views)
Shortcut
Another year-another San Diego Comic Con shutout! Can't Post

Frown This is the third year in a row that i've been shutout trying to get a badge to SDCC. Just want to know if there are ANY TORnsibs that were successful in obtaining a badge for this years SDCC. What do you have to do to get badges for this great event? The selection process may be fair but it sure hurts to constantly be rejected! Should i give up? i'm 64 and have few good years to go before it will become to strenuous to do it! Sorry for the rant but i feel hurt! Anyway Tolkien's influence on this event will wane until a new cinematic treatment emerges!

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 21 2016, 3:19am

Post #2 of 8 (902 views)
Shortcut
I don't know anything about the process of getting a badge [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wouldn't give up!

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website
My LOTR-inspired fantasy novel is on Amazon

Mikah
Lorien

Feb 22 2016, 1:24pm

Post #3 of 8 (875 views)
Shortcut
We got in! [In reply to] Can't Post

I managed to get in the first 20 minutes. This will be the first year that hubby and I actually got badges! We picked up for a friend as well. I am very excited.

I am very sorry that you did not get a badge. Believe me, I know how it feels....I would not give up. I am very glad that we didn't. I know how discouraging it is. If it makes you feel any better, this gives us first chance at badges for next year. I would be happy to pick up for you as well next year.

(This post was edited by Mikah on Feb 22 2016, 1:27pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 23 2016, 8:49pm

Post #4 of 8 (847 views)
Shortcut
Just to say re: (: [In reply to] Can't Post

If it makes you feel any better, this gives us first chance at badges for next year. I would be happy to pick up for you as well next year.

Breezing through here, if you would do that for someone it would be really, really nice from what I have readSmile - e.g., I was thinking about TRYING to go just to see the last PJ Hobbit panel and the WETA booth, for real, just once.

I'm not panning SDCC or saying folks shouldn't try to go, but from what I have read this event has well outgrown the San Diego convention center even tho the event has become so popular - and the organizers are locked into the location for a while.

And for ME, as the OP comments there are real physical demands placed on ordinary folks going - and I mean anyone, like camping out and no showers and the sheer press of people and then camping out and you may not get to see what you want anywayFrown - that for myself, unless I could be guaranteed I could see what I wanted, even trying to go was a pass FOR MEShocked. I've read the NYCC is having issues as well...anyway I hope to do some smaller cons or maybe Dragon Con at some point.

Supposedly one way to get in is to volunteer to work SDCC tho I bet it's overrun with volunteers. Congrats on getting passes! I suppose if you are rich there are hotels that offer some sort of premium package deal $$$$$$ with passes but I never looked into thatUnsure. It's a thought if you have the money.

Mikah
Lorien

Feb 24 2016, 1:24pm

Post #5 of 8 (816 views)
Shortcut
I understand where you are coming from... [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I understand, the lottery for badges is much easier during pre-registration than open registration. I have no idea if they allow the 3 badge purchase that they do during open registration though. If so picking up an extra badge is no problem then!Smile I picked up for my hair girl, as well as my husband when I got in this time.

I really do not have any one thing that I would like to do that would break the experience for me, so that is a good thing. I would really like to see a couple of the writer's panels though. But, if I do not get in, I would not call it a bust. Hubby plays with the Pathfinder Society, so it gives him an opportunity to meet other players, so that will be great for him!

We take an annual vacay to San Diego every year, so it is not a huge added expense for us. We have rented a house on Mission Beach, so we are very excited!

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 26 2016, 3:36am

Post #6 of 8 (784 views)
Shortcut
There are other comic cons [In reply to] Can't Post

I know San Diego's is certainly the Holy Grail of the Comic Con experience, but there are a number of other really good comic cons around. Just off the top of my head there's New York's, Austin's, Chicago's, Toronto's, Denver's, Salt Lake's, Boise's, Phoenix's, and Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle to name a few. By and large, they're all great events although none are as big as San Diego's and none have the great early trailers and new movie/show announcements that San Diego has, but they're a lot easier to get into. If you want the comic con experience, but can't get the passes to San Diego, consider one of the others. If you live in the SD/LA area, Phoenix's is probably the closest and easiest to get to, but any of the events would be worth attending. Not to mention smaller events like WonderCon in Anaheim (run by the SDCC folks) and StarFest in Denver. You might even be able to find a small con in your area. There are usually a few small and/or specialty cons happening every weekend somewhere in the US. Try another event, and then try again for SDCC tickets next year.

(Full disclosure, I volunteer and do panels at Salt Lake Comic Con, but I'm not trying to push just the one event).

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Feb 26 2016, 3:50am

Post #7 of 8 (785 views)
Shortcut
Inferno, is there any news from the Fantasy Con folks? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know they went heavily into debt over the first con in 2014 but they ran a fantastic show.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 26 2016, 4:51am

Post #8 of 8 (785 views)
Shortcut
I only hear bits and pieces [In reply to] Can't Post

since I don't have any affiliation with that event, but my understanding is they're trying to come up with a viable crowd-sourcing option to keep going, as the guy running it hasn't liked the conditions that the big-money investors have wanted to attach. I don't know what or when they'll be putting up any sort of crowd-sourcing, but they do post occasional updates on their website.

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.