Sharing this great video essay from the NerdWriter,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7BkmF8CJpQ

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 20 2016, 8:04pm

Post #2 of 4 (768 views)
Shortcut
This is excellent! A+++++ [In reply to] Can't Post

The beauty and complexity of Howard Shore's score of the trilogy remains unparalleled. And there is nothing like hearing and seeing the specific music being described along with the specific moment / scene in which it appears, as in this video. This was a fascinating analysis of the Fellowship leitmotif and how HS modified it over the course of the film to reflect what was happening in the story.

"[the score of the LOTR trilogy]...the most complete and complex exploration of leitmotif in the history of cinema."

Hear, hear!

Thanks so much for posting the link, tiamy! I hadn't seen it before. And even after all this time, the music still moves me just as much as it did when I first experienced it.

EvilHeart

Omnigeek
Lorien

Feb 20 2016, 8:37pm

Post #3 of 4 (765 views)
Shortcut
It is truly a stunning soundtrack [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I can say it is unparalleled or the most complete or complex example of leitmotif but it is an amazing work of music which truly does enhance every moment of film. The moments of ethereal aural beauty are incredible. John Williams used leitmotif superbly as well in a tremendous number of films (particularly in the original "Star Wars") but I don't think any those films had as many characters with their own individual themes. The soundtracks in "Gettysburg", "Lawrence of Arabia", and "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" (to name just a few) also built up and enhanced the visual imagery tremendously.

Definitely one of the all-time greats even if I can't quite say unparalleled.

tiamy
Rivendell

Feb 22 2016, 1:24pm

Post #4 of 4 (733 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

For years, I've been trying to find a technical explanation on why LOTR resonates to me so much....like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24tJh7NLr4s
or this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrAT0cD4pvA

but this is my first time I came across on something that discusses about the music. I learned to appreciate film music because of Howard Shore's scores and now, years later...after listening to other newer film scores, I find myself going back to LOTR once in a while. I'm not sure if that's because I love the movies or maybe because of the nostalgia but most likely it's because Howard Shore's tremendous work is so amazing, you can still pick up new things even after listening to it a thousand times.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.