The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
That Smaug shot at the end of DoS that stands out

Bofur01
Lorien

Feb 19 2016, 12:07am

Post #1 of 18 (1264 views)
Shortcut
That Smaug shot at the end of DoS that stands out Can't Post

I didn't realise it before, but the shot where Smaug knocks Gloin and Bifur from their overhead mining carts, which stands out from the other Smaug shots as it looks pretty awful; Forgive me if this has already been discovered, but I've found the problem! There's no motion blur on the shot whatsoever! Just a fun thing I found, anyway. Guess WETA couldn't re-render it in time or something.

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 19 2016, 12:15am

Post #2 of 18 (1227 views)
Shortcut
I guess they missed it when converting from 48fps? // [In reply to] Can't Post

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Feb 19 2016, 12:20am

Post #3 of 18 (1227 views)
Shortcut
The movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS looks awful no offense to anyone who doesn't agree with me. No offense to WETA but they need to find a new effect program.

Bofur01
Lorien

Feb 19 2016, 2:26am

Post #4 of 18 (1207 views)
Shortcut
The motion blur recorded in the image should be the same [In reply to] Can't Post

Just in 24fps half the frames are missing... Guess WETA just forgot/didn't have time to apply by for that particular shot...

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Feb 19 2016, 6:36am

Post #5 of 18 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

That is one of the few shots in the film that looks really bad. It definitely stands out in the film ( not in a good way).

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 19 2016, 4:18pm

Post #6 of 18 (1073 views)
Shortcut
*Puzzled* [In reply to] Can't Post

Which shot are you talking about? IMO Smaug in the forges is some of the best stuffHeart, the way he goes snapping after Thorin, the way he crawls through the forges, the way his neck snaps up and I love that shot of Smaug flailing and his head and neck pulling the ropes down and the mining cart with it. Some interesting "camera" angles too.

There are some shots in DOS I don't like - like the CGI when the statue melts right at Smaug's feet is a shot I think needs work - but there so much superb stuff there IMO.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Feb 19 2016, 5:02pm

Post #7 of 18 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Which shot are you talking about?

https://youtu.be/k5S-z5LwaGg
The shot at 2.33 - 2.37 is what Bofur01 was talking about.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 19 2016, 7:27pm

Post #8 of 18 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Not really seeing it - and I re-watched DOS last night on a good-sized screen. Just don't recall seeing anything wrong here (beyond the wheelbarrow thingCrazy).

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Feb 19 2016, 11:40pm

Post #9 of 18 (993 views)
Shortcut
Saw DOS in IMAX 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

and while watching the movie it looked like a video game except for Smaug but Erebor and everything looked awful even in the theater. No offense.

(This post was edited by HOBBITFAN13 on Feb 19 2016, 11:40pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 20 2016, 12:14am

Post #10 of 18 (986 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

watching the clip thats subsequently been posted just reminds me how convoluted and messy this whole scene is, not to mention the overarching feeling theres a green screen behind everything, annoys me so much as i think dos could have been so decent!

wizzardly
Rohan

Feb 20 2016, 12:34am

Post #11 of 18 (982 views)
Shortcut
erm [In reply to] Can't Post

There's many many problems here...but I think the overuse of green screen is the least of them.

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 20 2016, 11:39pm

Post #12 of 18 (872 views)
Shortcut
There's less motion blur in 48fps... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of the main reasons they used HFR, because motion blur looks weird in 3D (as it's slightly different in each camera, so confuses your eyes). All of the motion blur in the 24fps version is put in digitally as part of their conversion process. Possible they missed one shot, but I don't see how - You'd think they'd do the whole movie at once, not scene-by-scene.

Maybe they tried putting motion blur in, but decided it looked better without. Perhaps the blur obscured important details that they didn't want to lose?

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Feb 20 2016, 11:40pm)

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Feb 20 2016, 11:43pm

Post #13 of 18 (868 views)
Shortcut
Ergh [In reply to] Can't Post

To be fair, that entire scene looks pretty awful, but the shot you mentioned - which I also noticed in my very first viewing - is the worst.

Bofur01
Lorien

Feb 21 2016, 10:40am

Post #14 of 18 (829 views)
Shortcut
They don't add in motion blur for the 24fps version, adding motion blur is very, very difficult [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just that half the frames are removed, that is all. Motion blur, when filmed, depends on the shutter speed of the camera, which is obviously impossible to change in post...

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 22 2016, 1:32am

Post #15 of 18 (764 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

actually motion blur is usually a partially automated process that is added on right at the end of any shot in post production, for the cgi shots anyway, and im sure with 48fps even real life things filmed would would need some blur added when converting to 24fps so it looked smooth and natural, especially when incorporating real elements into cgi shots. adding motion blur to things is actually quite simple. they would probably film with a fast shutter speed under studio lights so they had some room to play with aswell. but usually blurs are matched to the real life elements as a rule.

(This post was edited by balbo biggins on Feb 22 2016, 1:36am)

Bofur01
Lorien

Feb 22 2016, 9:06am

Post #16 of 18 (739 views)
Shortcut
For CG shots yes, but real shots, no... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit was filmed with a 1/64 shutter speed IIRC, and it was definitely the one as shown in the film, the camera tests in the AUJ appendices back this up...

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 22 2016, 1:30pm

Post #17 of 18 (729 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

we were talking about cg shots wernt we! and shutter speed im sure was played with at some point, especially when filming action scenes. the appendices dont show everything the dp did to get everyshot!

but of course motion blur can be added to real shots, its a basic thing that happens more than youd think.

LSF
Gondor

Feb 22 2016, 4:40pm

Post #18 of 18 (709 views)
Shortcut
hm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not tech person, but I wonder if the fact that the wide shots of the forges scene was filmed on mocap stage with "virtual reality" tracking camera would or would not use the shutter speed and other things real cameras have? Would stuff like that have to be added in later?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.