Hobbit ee Trilogy Wrap

squiggle
Rivendell

Feb 15 2016, 2:43pm

Post #1 of 4 (813 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit ee Trilogy Wrap Can't Post

BRLLIANT, quite amazing really Smile

Finally finally, been in the right time to watch all three back to back, BoTF ee first time.

BoTF ee really makes the film come together now.

Once Smaug is killed, & the Dul Guldur has played out, it seems to me that is the point of the beginning of the end of the old magic leaving Middle Earth. AUJ & DoS are very fantasy adventure, filled with quite wild magic & this continues up until these two events have played out.

After that, i feel that the film then goes into a kind of Kurosawa doing a spooky Shakespear about Thorin Oakenshield, except instead of Fuedal Samarui times it's Middle Earth, with a type of King Lear story like Kurosawa's Ran, or Throne of Blood or Kagemusha. It's that kind of movie until Bilbo arrives back to the shire. How amazing is it to have that in the mix! Shocked

The narrative pacing of the battle is super great now, there may be a few small bits here and there that are now quite as good as the rest, but on the whole it's got a great flow now seems to me. I really like those big Ogres in the battles, they are super fun and Alfred's death was GREAT, haha Laugh The acrobatic Lithy fighting of Legolas & Tauriel, along with the woodland Elves has always been really stylistically enjoyable & Leggy's face offs with Bolg were all great.

As the Thorin Oakenshield Shakespearian tragedy is so to the fore now, the other sub-plots mainly relating to the Elfs & Townfolk seem to be in good proportion now in their conclusion alot more, as they are the relatively minor sub-plots to the Thorin saga, it's abit like how the Eagles arrive and obviously wipe out the Orc armies - it doesn't need to be shown in the same degree to that which revolves around the tale of Thorin but it's there, it's the same thing with Tauriel, Thranduil, Bard etc we know the lay of the land, what the characters have gone through and where they have ended up, so can be guessed what this is going to mean going forward.

I feel there's a real bittersweetness at the end of this film now, not so much that it's the end of Middle Earth (I'm about to dive into the LoTR ees Tongue) but that the time of the Hobbit in Middle Earth is over, that the particular era of magic in the land of that time period of Middle Earth is starting to slip away and will never be again, even as for example with the death of Azog, an still distinguishable elvish descendent super bad ass Orc chieftain menace to the lands of Middle Earth.

The Hobbit ees are a special set of films Evil

(This post was edited by squiggle on Feb 15 2016, 2:57pm)

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Feb 16 2016, 2:23am

Post #2 of 4 (652 views)
Shortcut
Honest opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the BOFA EE never really helped the film. I think it improved it but not make the film come together. The narrative of the battle was not ok. Love the dwarves vs elves though.

squiggle
Rivendell

Feb 16 2016, 4:09am

Post #3 of 4 (629 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for taking time to post your take [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it was ok either, more like very very good Wink

PJ & Team are really good with getting ee's right seems to me.

Don't know what the situation was in relation to time limits etc & sure it wold have been nice to have seen the Elves not getting totally outdone by the Iron Hill Dwarves before the pre Orc Melee for example. That's a very small thing, & there are some other things like that as the battle proceeds. Overall though, it seems to me to have a nice narrative arc though & all i can say is when sometimes things in that arc get deeper depth in tandom with the battle unfolding it's welcome.

In the theatrical experience alot of the battle's character in distinction & mood in it's sequences of mayhem I didn't find nearly as involving, with the type and definition of the cinematic story beats more difficult to pick up on despite my decent fandom of what's happening with the previous two ees. Now, i can enjoy a constant cinematic story heart beat continuation of things Laugh Laugh Laugh

nymmerod
The Shire

Feb 18 2016, 4:52pm

Post #4 of 4 (464 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

watching the three EE films back to back makes the story really come together. I was really disappointed in BOTFA when I saw it opening night but when the EE came out and I watched all three together in one sitting I really loved it. I was absolutely moved by the final conversation with Bilbo and Thorin and that felt like the scene that all of this was building up to. As it should have been.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96226

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.