Starling
Half-elven

Feb 14 2016, 4:21am

Post #1 of 34 (890 views)
Shortcut
It's deja-earthquake-vu all over again Can't Post

Yep, we've had another one.
Severe earthquake hits Christchurch.
All fine here, but it was a very nasty shake, by far the biggest we have had in a long time.
One good thing about having a dog on valium for back pain is it also vastly reduces earthquake trauma for him. There is always a silver lining. Cool

Nieriel
Rivendell

Feb 14 2016, 5:05am

Post #2 of 34 (812 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear you're safe [In reply to] Can't Post

all good here too - I thought about you when I heard of it (as a fellow Cantabrian) and others of our happy band here, not sure where they are based but I thought about them!

I was 'out of town' when the quake hit having a very chic lunch and lots of Pinot Gris at a lake side destination and missed the shakes altogether - but got texts from friends and family who felt it. Just so glad all safe and so glad that there wasn't too much damage.

(This post was edited by Nieriel on Feb 14 2016, 5:09am)

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 14 2016, 5:14am

Post #3 of 34 (809 views)
Shortcut
Happy Valentine's Day! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or something...
It will be a setback for a lot of people who have been struggling. And the timing is rather rotten, coming so close to the anniversary. There has been some liquefaction, but not at a 2011 level as far as I know. It's the toll on the mental health of people that is the real worry.

I am secretly hoping for a day off school..

By the way 'lots of Pinot Gris' is a legitimate earthquake coping strategy!

Nieriel
Rivendell

Feb 14 2016, 5:21am

Post #4 of 34 (808 views)
Shortcut
You know it's crazy because [In reply to] Can't Post

at lunch, I got talking to someone whose house is STILL unrepaired after the last earthquakes .. Just mindblowing. So yes, the timing is just terrible. My heart goes out to people whose lives are still messed up from 2011.

I find Pinot Gris an excellent coping strategy for most of life's curve balls Wink

This irritated me, since when was this quake expected? Because I am sure I wasn't expecting it.
MadUnsureUnimpressed

http://www.stuff.co.nz/...s-shake-was-expected

(This post was edited by Nieriel on Feb 14 2016, 5:26am)

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 14 2016, 5:43am

Post #5 of 34 (802 views)
Shortcut
Much as I can't stand Brownlee, [In reply to] Can't Post

he is right - it is expected, and part of what we should always be prepared for in this pattern of aftershocks, which will go on for years and years. The science backs him up.
Unfortunately.

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 14 2016, 10:15am

Post #6 of 34 (795 views)
Shortcut
Emergency supplies kits [In reply to] Can't Post

should contain wine - and chocolate. You told me that years ago.

Hang tough, Ms. Starlin'.

Photo of African starling by Allan Block

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 14 2016, 1:27pm

Post #7 of 34 (777 views)
Shortcut
*tearing* oh no... [In reply to] Can't Post

Christchurch is still healing from the last one. *warm hug* I'm so glad you're okay... I just saw it announced on the news, and I couldn't believe the footage they showed!

I hope this is the end of it. No more shakes!

*another hug*

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 14 2016, 3:48pm

Post #8 of 34 (769 views)
Shortcut
My heart sank a bit when I saw the news this morning [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope everything stablises again quickly.

Storm clouds

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 14 2016, 6:11pm

Post #9 of 34 (757 views)
Shortcut
!!!!!!!!! This is just [In reply to] Can't Post

not right. Mad

I have this crazy wish that I could sail over with a hose and a giant load of concrete and just pump it under there to fix it all.

So sorry about Midgie, too! My dog had back pain too at one point. Our vet actually referred us to a Doggie Chiropractor (at an enormous price--the Chiro. not the referral) that actually did help some.

I'll be checking the news all day. Glad there seems to be no serious injuries or anything worse reported yet.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 14 2016, 6:26pm

Post #10 of 34 (756 views)
Shortcut
Lee Pace eyebrows on a psychedelic bird. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I've seen everything. Laugh

Starling: I'm glad to hear that Midgey was too chilled out to bark at the oven again - and that you're OK too, of course. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 14 2016, 8:08pm

Post #11 of 34 (743 views)
Shortcut
Oh no, not again! [In reply to] Can't Post

To quote the great Douglas Adams.

It sounds like a seriously scary shake, and must be such a blow to fragile confidence. I'm very glad to hear that Midgey took it comparatively in his stride, though!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 14 2016, 9:03pm

Post #12 of 34 (736 views)
Shortcut
We saw that on 'stuff' yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a Kiwi, stuff.co.nz is almost always open in a window on his computer. Thank goodness no one was hurt, especially you and Midgey, and that he wasn't traumatized. Us humans can process what's going on and deal with it accordingly, but the poor animals must just be scared and confused. I hope things settle down there!

*hugs* Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 14 2016, 9:44pm

Post #13 of 34 (732 views)
Shortcut
Ugh. I's so sorry to hear it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you (and your medicated dog) are all right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 15 2016, 5:24am

Post #14 of 34 (716 views)
Shortcut
One of the boys in my class [In reply to] Can't Post

said, "I had a earthquake at my house!" at news time this morning. (He has just started talking in sentences.)
He was completely astounded to find out that everyone else had an earthquake too! Very cute.
We had yet another turtle practice.
It was a bit of a shock for a couple of our new staff - one from the UK was at Sumner beach and saw cliffs coming down. And another new staff member had two very frightened children who had never experienced a decent earthquake before.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 15 2016, 12:59pm

Post #15 of 34 (697 views)
Shortcut
Glad everything seems to be OK // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Sarahbor
Lorien

Feb 15 2016, 10:03pm

Post #16 of 34 (689 views)
Shortcut
Was that an earthquake? [In reply to] Can't Post

That, my lad, was a dragon.

Seriously though, I hope you're all OK! My mom's from California, and she's felt her share of earthquakes there too. Being in the Ring of Fire is tough Frown

Hobbit/LOTR cartoons & humor: http://www.sarahbor.com/

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2016, 3:06am

Post #17 of 34 (672 views)
Shortcut
Taking care of the little ones [In reply to] Can't Post

What a difficult part of your work, that must be - you never know what the reactions of the kids will be, and doing your best to deal with it with compassion and love, while managing your own fears!

You're all heroes, y'know. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 16 2016, 5:37am

Post #18 of 34 (665 views)
Shortcut
It is a pain [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes I wish I didn't have quite so much earthquake experience.
On the plus side, it's quite the most exciting Valentine's Day I've had in ages. Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 16 2016, 5:42am

Post #19 of 34 (661 views)
Shortcut
That starling [In reply to] Can't Post

is very good at making what is known around these parts as 'earthquake face'. Cool
It's the face that goes, is it over a 5 and do I need to move?

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 16 2016, 5:53am

Post #20 of 34 (665 views)
Shortcut
It is a big blow [In reply to] Can't Post

for a lot of people who are suffering.
With the 5 year anniversary of the February earthquake approaching, the timing is pretty rotten. Some people with PTSD are back to square one.
A work colleague has just had her house repairs completed after February '11 damage (repairs which were substandard and had to be re-done, which is sadly a common problem) and now her house is stuffed again.

And now we have this.
I am doing pretty well, but I am living in a city of hurting and sad people. There are children starting school who have never slept in their own beds, and they are angry and sad and definitely not school-ready.
Good and positive things are happening here, but I worry about those who are being left behind.

Thank you all for your kind wishes.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 16 2016, 4:21pm

Post #21 of 34 (643 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry y'all are on such a roller coaster ride... [In reply to] Can't Post

...both geologically and emotionally! It's so not fair when bad things happen to good people. Unsure You and your fellow Kiwis have MY kind wishes, too. Take care!

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 17 2016, 7:47am

Post #22 of 34 (620 views)
Shortcut
Another birdie, Starling. [In reply to] Can't Post

Photo by Ross Weinberg

Maybe these will be more calming than Neon Bird.Smile I just spent nearly an hour watching a pair of keruru outside my living room window. We're in beech forest and have a variety of native plants right around the house. The keruru fly through here often, but I'd never seen a pair of them this close just hangin' out. We were eating dinner, listening to a Windham Hill sampler (remember them?) Laugh https://www.youtube.com/...t=PL9D83B4ADF04805E4 and watching birds. Very peaceful interlude. Their greeny hue blends into the bush and you only see them when they move. The fella just sat there looking magnificent while the lady flitted around eating kawakawa fruit.

Keruru dance video: these two tonight were an old comfortable couple, so not much of this going on, but it's a nice video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksrOvldvrE0
And here's one doing its part for forest regeneration.Wink We need you, keruru!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK-gFpy6Kig

Here's to a peaceful, still night for all.Smile

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 17 2016, 8:13am

Post #23 of 34 (617 views)
Shortcut
And 3 hours of NZ forest sounds. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1yAj11-8g8
(sigh)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 17 2016, 5:50pm

Post #24 of 34 (603 views)
Shortcut
I have some kowhai bushes next to the garage [In reply to] Can't Post

and just before Christmas a kereru that had been sitting camouflaged on a branch gave me a fright when he suddenly took off when I wandered to within a metre of him. 'Whomp whomp whomp...'

A few weeks before that when I came home from work, I heard a branch crack in the garden then a low-flying kereru went whomping past my head. I cracked up laughing - undoubtedly the branch had snapped under Big Bertha's weight. Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 17 2016, 5:51pm)

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 17 2016, 6:12pm

Post #25 of 34 (595 views)
Shortcut
"Whomp" is the right word for the sound. [In reply to] Can't Post

You certainly know when a kereru (sp - duh, I know that, brain glitch)Evil is passing by. There was an flock of about 12-15 (didn't know that that many would stay together) at one spot on the Rimutaka Hill road last year that seemed to love cruising across the slopes. Windows down, no radio reception so all quiet, and suddenly the "whomp whomp whomp" of many very large, green/purple flying objects above, beside and in front of the car. Crazy things! Lack of human concentration on that road can lead to very uncomfortable results. But I must say it was worth it to see so many.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.