The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOFA Denial Association?

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Feb 11 2016, 4:08pm

Post #1 of 14 (1550 views)
Shortcut
BOFA Denial Association? Can't Post

After reading many posts what is the BOFA denial association?

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 11 2016, 4:18pm

Post #2 of 14 (1501 views)
Shortcut
There are two divisions. [In reply to] Can't Post

One for those in denial that The Hobbit movies are absolute drek.

The other for those in denial that The Hobbit movies are total masterpieces.

They don't tend to play well with each other.

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Feb 11 2016, 4:20pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 11 2016, 5:20pm

Post #3 of 14 (1467 views)
Shortcut
And the River folks LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Those, to the horror of the "Tolkien purists"Shocked, have thoroughly embraced the concepts of the Norse and the Vikings and *fiesty dwarven defiance*. E.g., those who cried out in Khuzdul "we aren't putting up with this *tragic ending stuff* because life is better with the THESE DurinsHeart in it", got the kayaks out, and headed straight for the "River of Denial" - also known as the "BOFA FIX-IT", fan-fiction, and the "BOFA Denial Association".

It's a lifestyle dominated by interesting and nutritious fruit drinks (frequently set on fire and served in tiny mugs that look like barrels) and lots of HAIR. Basically, in this parallel universe, the Durins are alive and well after either 1) faking their own deaths; 2) being saved by the deus ex machina of the writer's choice; or 3) being brought back from the great beyond - again, writer's choice as to how.

Some observers have unkind comments. Some say it's disrespecting canon and "Tolkien's intent" (although I'd love to know how folks are getting this information as alas, Tolkien actually IS in the Great BeyondFrown). Some say it's insaneCrazy. But IMO it's a huge amount of fun.Cool

Anyway, to quote a meme I tripped over: "Reality is Just Spam."Wink

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 11 2016, 5:37pm

Post #4 of 14 (1444 views)
Shortcut
We're all in Egypt [In reply to] Can't Post

floating down "de Nile!"Tongue Not sure about Darkstone's denial, there's certainly some truth to that - especially the part about the two sides not playing nice with each other (although TORners are mostly civilized in their disagreements). But Avendel does get the best pics, love that one! As for me, I'm a Lover (of the Durins), not a fighter, so I'm most happy to hang out with the fang-guriells on the party barge. And since it's getting close to Valentine's Day, we should really share the LUVHeart

Yeah, my moniker says it allEvilHeart

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 11 2016, 10:14pm

Post #5 of 14 (1366 views)
Shortcut
What? [In reply to] Can't Post

And since it's getting close to Valentine's Day, we should really share the LUVHeart

You mean, because long ago, in *thousands* of darkened theaters far, far away (ok, for me, not THAT far, there's an IMAX right up the street, and then there's a mall, and that other mall, and then that dinner-and-a-movie place, and that other fake mini IMAX with the lousy sound system....but I digress...)

Because, in thousands of theaters across the land, wrapp'd in the cold breath of winter (depending, because, some folks live nearer the Equator, or maybe were having a kind of warm winter, but ANYWAY...)

There we were, comfortably stuffed with that tray of ghastly nachos made with the fake cheese, or maybe we'd downed most of that biggee bag of popcorn with the EXTRA fake butter, happily enscon'd in our seats. We'd suffered the commercials, ticked off the films we just KNEW would be losers from the previews. We watched, intrigued, as this dark-haired blacksmith grimly wielded a hammerHeart. We smiled seeing Frodo. We smiled more, seeing Dwalin eat a fish head. We fell in love with two adorable brothers.Heart

And then, HE was HEREShockedShockedShocked. That intriguing young prince blacksmith who was older now...who would step through a door, and with the first molten syllables from his mouth, from the first back view of that tumbling cascade of decadent softness, would for evermore re-define the word "chocolate".

A voice that could command armies. A voice like wine pouring through our souls...

Just you waitLaugh. The man (e.g. N&S) had already practically become synonymous with Valentine's Day. Never mind all that leatherAngelic.

Cool

Dwarewien
Rohan

Feb 11 2016, 10:55pm

Post #6 of 14 (1343 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to disappoint you... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I didn't care for North & South, since I much prefer action/adventure movies like The Hobbit and Into the Storm. I really have no desire to see North & South again (I've only seen it once). Like I mentioned in another thread, not all Thorin fans like romantic movies (though fantasies are a different story, since most of my Thorin fantasies would go into the NSFW category, which stands for "not suitable for work").

To answer the OP's question, the BOFA Denial Association is for those of us that refuse to accept what happens to the Durins in both the book and/or movies as canon. Even the fan fiction stories I either follow or bookmark are "alternate universe" stories where Thorin lives (and are pretty naughty, so I won't be posting any links on such a family friendly site). They're what you would call stories written in second person, which teams up the reader with his or her favorite character (from any fandom, since I also have a Jurassic Park/World one bookmarked on Ao3, the only fan fiction site I don't have a Hobbit related username, it's more Jurassic Park/World related). I wrote one myself, but since it was more of an adventurous story (for a Secret Santa for someone on another Tolkien site), I made the reader gender neutral (either male or female), since it contained no romance whatsoever (it was for a guy).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 12 2016, 1:15am

Post #7 of 14 (1294 views)
Shortcut
Well, let's get this party (barge) started! [In reply to] Can't Post

So how do we want to do this? And wasn't someone on the Fan Art thread talking about a "Hair of Durins" thread? We could cover both with a single thread! Maybe have a "make the best Valentine" contest, or find the best Fan Art, fanfic, caption for photos, etc. Of course, I have neither artistic talent nor Photoshop, so I'd be limited to drooling, er, um, I mean "Judging" the best artwork - or at least making stupid comments, something I'm really good at. So, what do you think?

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 12 2016, 1:24am

Post #8 of 14 (1292 views)
Shortcut
Questionable fanfics [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I think I've read a few of those, quite by accident.Angelic Yeah, right!Evil

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 12 2016, 2:46am

Post #9 of 14 (1267 views)
Shortcut
Well, for now.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I'm in love with my own posts or anything. But ah-ohShocked, so much was done last yearShocked...
hhttp://ttp:/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

And that was a thread that was on the main board, as I was trying to find out if Tolkien's Middle Earth had any mention of anything like our
Valentine's Day (not that I had found, except for spring festivals?) And there were the *poetic contributions* tooLaugh, plus loads of pics...

So right now my brain is stalledFrown. But I will offer this link of Miss-Merriweather's work in the meantime - Valentine # 2 to the Peckish Owl.
These Oakenchilled 'toons are the most adorable things this side of a Thorin chibiHeartHeartHeart.

http://www.deviantart.com/...ecial-No-2-589757074

Of course, some are quite shockingLaugh, like the one of our Mountain King in his BATH:

OMG!!!!ShockedShockedShocked
http://www.deviantart.com/...-Chapter-3-514867556

*(And for the OP - I hope she had her question answeredAngelic. At least for some, re these Hobbit characters, the *end* of things was pretty much a revolving door of sorts. But that's typical for Hollywood these days.Wink)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Feb 12 2016, 12:52pm

Post #10 of 14 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Valentine's link [In reply to] Can't Post

The link was broken and took me somewhere strange, so here is the link again, for anyone wanting to taste the Heartsweet flavorsHeart of last year's Valentines... Tongue

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 12 2016, 1:05pm

Post #11 of 14 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Was it mentioned [In reply to] Can't Post

that Gandalf was resurrected on Feb. 14? Heart

(Your link doesn’t work (for me)). ?

In Reply To
And that was a thread that was on the main board, as I was trying to find out if Tolkien's Middle Earth had any mention of anything like our
Valentine's Day

I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of
gold there grew:
Of wind I sang, a wind there came and in the branches
blew.

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 12 2016, 5:47pm

Post #12 of 14 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Thank you!!! (: re the link repost! - whoops.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Apologies to Bracegirdle (love your sig BTW) - broken links BOTHER me. Not sure what I did wrong there......Unsure

LOL there's some lovely poetry in last year's post. And now I am thinking of CHOCOLATE - can't imagine why.Cool

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 13 2016, 12:00am

Post #13 of 14 (1080 views)
Shortcut
So basically just people offended that everyone else doesn't agree with them. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a lot of that going around these days. Tongue

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 13 2016, 5:11am

Post #14 of 14 (1046 views)
Shortcut
I don't agree with that [In reply to] Can't Post

And now I am totally upset. Angelic

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.