Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
References to LOTR in The Bible

TiliMithrilfist

Feb 10 2016, 5:42pm

Post #1 of 7 (528 views)
Shortcut
References to LOTR in The Bible Can't Post

I’m sure we’ve all seen articles or books showing how biblical principals are show or referenced in The Lord of The Rings. I was reading through my Bible the other day when I decided to try the opposite. I’ve found some places in the Bible, where, if you look at them in the wrong way, it would look like a reference to The Lord of The Rings characters.

ENTS:

“and all the trees of the field will clap their hands…”. Isaiah 55

Think about it. Trees, clapping their hands. Obviously Ents.

“He looked up and said, "I see people; they look like trees walking around." Mark 8:24.

How could he know what trees walking around looked like?
Maybe this guy saw some Ents?

GREAT EAGLES:

“But there was another great eagle with powerful wings and full plumage. The vine now sent out its roots toward him from the plot where it was planted…” Ezekiel 17:7

Powerful wings, Great Eagle, possibly Gwaihir?

OGRES (referenced in the Hobbit, possibly another name for orcs):
“They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want…orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.” Galations 5:17-21

Obvious misspelling or ogres.

DWARVES:

“No man who has any defect may come near:… or a dwarf”. Leviticus:18:20

Were there really dwarves in these times?

DRAGONS:

Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back - Revelation 12:7

Could it be one of Smaug’s realtives?

GIANTS (mentioned a few times fleetingly):

These four Philistines were descendants of the giants of Gath, but David and his warriors killed them.” - 2 Samuel 21:22

Maybe related to Tarlang?

If you find or know of any others, please post them here!

joec_34
Rivendell

Feb 10 2016, 6:46pm

Post #2 of 7 (495 views)
Shortcut
I'm playing fast & loose with this one... [In reply to] Can't Post

1 Corinthians 15:32 says "...eat, drink, and be merry..."
It is unclear if this is a general reference to Hobbit lifestyle or a specific reference to Meriadoc Brandybuck. Either way it clearly embodies the spirit of the Green Dragon.

P.S. I don't know if they served liquor at the Green Dragon, but I couldn't resist that pun.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

(This post was edited by joec_34 on Feb 10 2016, 6:47pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 10 2016, 6:51pm

Post #3 of 7 (491 views)
Shortcut
Out of Bondage [In reply to] Can't Post

Moses’ hidden Jewishness (and Bilbo's buried Tookishness) gets him selected for an adventure. The rather comic browbeating by the Burning Bush (I am that I am!) of a reluctant Moses resembles the rather comic browbeating by Gandalf (I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!) of a reluctant Bilbo. Bilbo leading a greed corrupted Thorin and the Twelve Dwarves mirrors Moses leading a greed corrupted Korah and the Twelve Tribes. Near the end of their lives Moses gives Aaron the Pentateuch to finish and Bilbo gives Frodo the Red Book to finish.

I recently posted other comparisons in the Reading Room:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 10 2016, 8:21pm

Post #4 of 7 (482 views)
Shortcut
"And before the First Day had begun God created LotR" [In reply to] Can't Post

Jesus answered and said unto them, ‘Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
-John 2:19

Obtusely a reference to Gandalf’s ‘death’ and ‘resurrection’, as the timeline was simply changed from three days to nineteen days, as John’s way of avoiding any assumption of LotR plagiarism. Wink

I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of
gold there grew:
Of wind I sang, a wind there came and in the branches
blew.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 10 2016, 9:14pm

Post #5 of 7 (474 views)
Shortcut
Or...? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Jesus answered and said unto them, ‘Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
-John 2:19

Obtusely a reference to Gandalf’s ‘death’ and ‘resurrection’, as the timeline was simply changed from three days to nineteen days, as John’s way of avoiding any assumption of LotR plagiarism. Wink

Or might this be a reference to the White Rider revealing himself at Helm's Deep?

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Feb 11 2016, 12:32am

Post #6 of 7 (457 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

A second resurrection perhaps?

Naw! That’s just pushing things too far. . .

In Reply To
Or might this be a reference to the White Rider revealing himself at Helm's Deep?

I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of
gold there grew:
Of wind I sang, a wind there came and in the branches
blew.

Sarahbor
Lorien

Feb 11 2016, 11:17pm

Post #7 of 7 (396 views)
Shortcut
Eagles [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hebrew word for eagle and vulture is the same (nesher) so that passage could actually be referencing vultures. I've seen vulture mistranslated as eagle in Bible verses before; I don't remember which book it was from, but it was a reference to a scavenging "eagle" that should have been vulture (eagles are not scavengers, vultures are).

Hobbit/LOTR cartoons & humor: http://www.sarahbor.com/

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.