The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Legolas in FOTR prologue?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2015, 4:57pm

Post #1 of 8 (1164 views)
Shortcut
Legolas in FOTR prologue? Can't Post

Im sure this has been discussed but I didnt find it. Is Legolas the elf we see in Mordor during battle of the last alliance?

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to The Battle for the Fifth Trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

There and Back Again Traveller

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 11 2015, 5:04pm

Post #2 of 8 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Fereveldir [In reply to] Can't Post

Played by Ben Britton.

He's also at Helm's Deep

http://www.theargonath.cc/fereveldir/

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2015, 6:53am

Post #3 of 8 (1064 views)
Shortcut
Ok thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to The Battle for the Fifth Trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

There and Back Again Traveller

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Dec 19 2015, 3:45pm

Post #4 of 8 (890 views)
Shortcut
Legolas was considerably older [In reply to] Can't Post

than the other Fellowship members excepting Gandalf (in fact I think I remember him teasing them lightly about that at some early points of the novels) - hence his addition in the Hobbit movies on the grounds that he would likely have been in Mirkwood at the time of Bilbo's adventure - but not old enough to have been around during the Battle of the Last Alliance.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 19 2015, 7:48pm

Post #5 of 8 (876 views)
Shortcut
Legolas' Age [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Legolas was considerably older than the other Fellowship members excepting Gandalf (in fact I think I remember him teasing them lightly about that at some early points of the novels) - hence his addition in the Hobbit movies on the grounds that he would likely have been in Mirkwood at the time of Bilbo's adventure - but not old enough to have been around during the Battle of the Last Alliance.

Well, background materials for the LotR films assign the year TA 87 for the birth of Legolas. But I've read guesses for his age in Tolkien's legendarium that puts him anywhere from 500 years old at the time of the War of the Ring to having been born some time in the Second Age. Of course those guesses don't apply to the Peter Jackson films.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 19 2015, 7:50pm)

TaliaEmerald
Bree

Feb 10 2016, 1:18am

Post #6 of 8 (511 views)
Shortcut
Legolas's birthday [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas I think was born a few decades AFTER the battle.

Elven Lady of the Greenwood Realm

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 10 2016, 3:28am

Post #7 of 8 (503 views)
Shortcut
Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Legolas I think was born a few decades AFTER the battle.

If you mean the Battle of the Last Alliance then Tolkien never said. But if you are thinking of the movie continuity, yes, TA 87 would be a few decades after the battle.

All we know from Tolkien is that Legolas was far older than anyone else in the Fellowship except for Gandalf (and maybe even older than Gandalf in his mortal incarnation).

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 10 2016, 3:30am)

TaliaEmerald
Bree

Feb 19 2016, 11:51pm

Post #8 of 8 (476 views)
Shortcut
Age [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool to know!
Thanks. Wink

Elven Lady of the Greenwood Realm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.