It's the Mardi Gras reading thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 11 2016, 3:34pm

Post #26 of 43 (280 views)
Shortcut
Sort of [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a new "normal" now, which, despite its drawbacks and annoyances (for example, after a lifetime of being nearsighted, I'm now farsighted), is infinitely better than no sight at all!

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

Feb 11 2016, 5:00pm

Post #27 of 43 (278 views)
Shortcut
back to Prue Shaw's "Reading Dante" [In reply to] Can't Post

One month to go before the start of my class on Dante so I figured I'd better buckle down & put together my lectures!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 11 2016, 5:09pm

Post #28 of 43 (275 views)
Shortcut
You're not going to [In reply to] Can't Post

just stand up and "wing it"? Wink

I do believe I've heard some lecturers who've done that...Tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 11 2016, 5:19pm

Post #29 of 43 (274 views)
Shortcut
That usually requires even more preparation. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately some lecturers forget spontaneity takes a lot of practice.

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 11 2016, 5:30pm

Post #30 of 43 (268 views)
Shortcut
It's nothing [In reply to] Can't Post

to apologise for Notta - it's not as if NZ's history is relevant in your education system. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 11 2016, 8:18pm

Post #31 of 43 (262 views)
Shortcut
Shoot [In reply to] Can't Post

With all the Common Core changes being made, I've discovered that AMERICAN history isn't even relevant to our American education system...

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Annael
Immortal

Feb 11 2016, 8:34pm

Post #32 of 43 (264 views)
Shortcut
one of my profs could do that [In reply to] Can't Post

for a full day of class. No notes.

But he's been working in the field for 40-odd years.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 11 2016, 8:41pm

Post #33 of 43 (259 views)
Shortcut
When I was at school [In reply to] Can't Post

(all those dusty years ago), New Zealand history was covered only for a term in 7th form - the last year of high school (17/18 year old students) - when most kids left school after 5th or 6th form. Hardly surprising that so many people in NZ don't have a solid understanding of the issues around the founding of modern NZ.

I have no idea what the modern curriculum is like. Hopefully it's better than before!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 11 2016, 10:04pm

Post #34 of 43 (257 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Way way back when I taught college for a while I freaked out my class that way, lecturing with no notes, telling them to turn to page x then quoting the text. Made them think I knew the whole textbook by heart, but just a trick of memorizing only what you needed for the lesson. Yeah, I was a young jerk back then. Now I'm no longer young.Wink

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 12 2016, 1:02am

Post #35 of 43 (252 views)
Shortcut
Absalom, Absalom! [In reply to] Can't Post

Continuing with Faulkner, I'm 115 pages into this one. To be honest, I've become a bit bored with it in the last 30 or so pages. I appreciate what's being done, working a tale within two or three degrees of separation and half-truths. But I think I'm losing interest in the whole affair. Keeping my hopes up, though!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 12 2016, 10:11am

Post #36 of 43 (237 views)
Shortcut
How are you enjoying Faulkner in general? // [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 12 2016, 6:10pm

Post #37 of 43 (234 views)
Shortcut
Fairly well, overall [In reply to] Can't Post

As I Lay Dying didn't particularly grab me, although I found bits and pieces I did find interesting.

Sound and the Fury *did* go over well for me. Very tenacious, if I had to describe it based on my experience.

I'm still working through my thoughts comparing him to other modernists, while knowing he's wholly unique as well. I think in general, I prefer someone like Woolf or Joyce.

Do you like Faulkner?

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Feb 12 2016, 6:11pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 12 2016, 7:05pm

Post #38 of 43 (227 views)
Shortcut
I do [In reply to] Can't Post

I *loved* The Sound and the Fury--it's one of the few books that has shaken me to my core (maybe not quite to the level of Crime and Punishment, which has remained the epitome of grandness for me, but close), but when I took a course on him a few years ago, I found that the rest of his writings didn't quite match the brilliance of S&F. So while he's unquestionably a great author, I wouldn't consider him one of my favorites. I guess you can say overall I like more *how* he writes, than *what* he writes about.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Feb 12 2016, 7:14pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 14 2016, 1:16am

Post #39 of 43 (208 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, all of the American racial politics sit at the core of his work--I wonder how that history (or lack thereof) in your reading, compared to mine as an American, changes the experience? Interesting to wonder, I guess!

And yes, I agree re: your last sentence on "how" vs. "what".

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 14 2016, 2:55am

Post #40 of 43 (203 views)
Shortcut
Wind, Sand, and Stars [In reply to] Can't Post

by Antoine de St Exupery. Purple prose? He's gone indigo! There is some beautiful writing there, but the language is so wordy and flowery that I have little desire to read any of his other works. Wonder if that's really the way he wrote, or if it's more from the translator. Maybe in small doses I could enjoy it , but a full book is too much for me.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 14 2016, 11:49am

Post #41 of 43 (192 views)
Shortcut
It certainly plays a role [In reply to] Can't Post

Here, race has only just now become a topic, in the light of the refugee crisis.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 14 2016, 8:39pm

Post #42 of 43 (180 views)
Shortcut
I love that one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Charming and magical, but not shying away from sadness.

I've read a few of her adult novels, and *love* The Dean's Watch (made me cry, in a good way). I've listened to an audio version of her partially set in New Zealand Green Dolphin Country, though didn't manage to hear the whole thing. I wasn't fond of the male mc, which somewhat put me off that one.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 15 2016, 3:54am

Post #43 of 43 (176 views)
Shortcut
The Wright Brothers [In reply to] Can't Post

by David McCullough. Interesting look at the personalities of Wilbur and Orville. It was a little light on the technical side of their work for my taste, but I'm a long time aviation tech head.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.