Bowie would have been a better Elrond
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jan 29 2016, 5:30pm

Post #1 of 27 (1579 views)
Shortcut
Bowie would have been a better Elrond Can't Post

Just my opinion, seems like perfect casting for me. such a shame PJ thought otherwise, he states that becuase bowie was so recognisable it wouldnt have worked, but elijah wood as frodo? lee as saruman? that theory doesnt make sense to me. such a shame!!

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 29 2016, 6:04pm

Post #2 of 27 (1539 views)
Shortcut
Bowie was internationally known and recognized [In reply to] Can't Post

At that time, with the exception of Christopher Lee, the other actors & actresses in the films - while some were well-known in certain countries or in certain genres - had nowhere near the worldwide celebrity that Bowie did.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 29 2016, 6:38pm

Post #3 of 27 (1537 views)
Shortcut
Well, each to his own... [In reply to] Can't Post

But he wouldn't have been 'my' Elrond. Very distinctive looking, as you say, and otherworldly, but I always thought his features lent themselves to cruel-looking characters rather than kind ones. And Elrond's kindness was embodied in his house - nothing sinister there.

I wouldn't have chosen Hugo Weaving beforehand because I'd never heard of him, but as a stage actor with real presence I thought he filled the role really well, so I can't see his casting as a shame or a lost opportunity. Inspired, I'd call it. I think one of the great strengths of the whole suite of films has been the casting. Even when it came out of left field it worked very well.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jan 29 2016, 6:46pm

Post #4 of 27 (1532 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

i think alot of younger people would have never been knowingly subjected to david bowie , he wasnt that prolific around the 2000s, and anyone older would have recognized bowie as much as sean connery, ian mckellan, elijah wood, and hugo weaing, he was huge after films like the matrix, so i still dont think that argument holds up.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2016, 8:36pm

Post #5 of 27 (1518 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

He ended up being one of my very favorite characters in all the movies.

Just my opinion, though. Smile

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2016, 6:35am

Post #6 of 27 (1480 views)
Shortcut
I'm extremely biased when it comes to the casting... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because I only read The Lord of the Rings after the films had been in production for a while. So there were images already floating around of Elijah Wood as Frodo, Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn, so forth and so on.

The timing wound up being utterly perfect because I imagined all the characters as they would appear in the films, and so they all seemed perfectly cast to me...and that included the wonderful Hugo Weaving as Elrond Half-elven.

To change one aspect of the casting is tantamount to blasphemy for me.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 30 2016, 6:36am)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jan 30 2016, 10:11pm

Post #7 of 27 (1442 views)
Shortcut
forget these films if you can [In reply to] Can't Post

elijah wood perfect casting for frodo ? hmmm

its hard to shake these films out, but if you had to pick before you saw them bowie would always win i think, but these films are only one production, and if you compare alot of the actors or performances how they ended up in the films, they are quite removed from the book.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2016, 10:28pm

Post #8 of 27 (1428 views)
Shortcut
I have absolutely no desire to do as you suggest.// [In reply to] Can't Post

//

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 31 2016, 2:29pm

Post #9 of 27 (1408 views)
Shortcut
For you perhaps.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but if anyone had told me years ago that there was to be a film of Lord of the Rings with David Bowie as Elrond I'd have fainted in horror and then pronounced anathema on the whole project - and wild horses wouldn't have dragged me in to see it. And that's not because I didn't like his music, but because I could never have seen him as Elrond.

In fact, thinking about it, that's pretty much how I felt about the whole idea of Peter Jackson's films at first (fainting in horror, etc.), when I saw the name Lurtz mentioned (who?), and a still of Arwen usurping Glorfindel... But those early stills were just so beautiful (orcs excepted) and Alan Lee and John Howe's names drew me in, with huge misgivings. And look where I am now - funny old world, ain't it!

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Omnigeek
Lorien

Feb 1 2016, 1:40am

Post #10 of 27 (1375 views)
Shortcut
I don't knwo about better ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bowie would have been a good choice but I was very pleased with Hugo Weaving and Bowie might have had a problem with the more active sequences. I was pleasantly surprised by Elijah Wood as Frodo (I admit I had my doubts before FOTR). I never really liked Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn but the additional material mollified my objections somewhat because of his dedication to making the picture. I didn't much care for his portrayal but that could have been how he was directed by PJ and he certainly put heart and soul into it.

I had always pictured Alec Guinness as Gandalf but that's probably because I felt the Obi Wan character was more-or-less modeled after Gandalf (and Ian McKellan had a much better beard, even if it was prosthetic).

joec_34
Rivendell

Feb 4 2016, 6:10pm

Post #11 of 27 (1294 views)
Shortcut
I like your thoughts on casting; mine are much different [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I think that Viggo is the perfect Aragorn. I think that he, Ian McKellan, Bernard HIll, and Sean Bean were perfect for their roles. I had a bit of trouble with Hugo Weaving as Elrond, but I have come around. My chief complaint was that he seemed too cold to be Elrond. As I reflect on it, I think that this is in part due to trying to portray a distinction between Elves and Men. I think it mostly due to the juxtaposition of Him and Liv Tyler, Viggo, & Ian: three incredibly warm actors. The scenes in The Hobbit have really warmed me up to Hugo's Elrond.
Bowie as Elrond would've pulled off the "otherworldliness" of Elves in a more natural way.

It's interesting hearing from someone whose opinions are so much different than mine.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Omnigeek
Lorien

Feb 4 2016, 8:26pm

Post #12 of 27 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Sean Bean did an outstanding job [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first saw FOTR, I actually thought Bean would have been a better Aragorn. I really really didn't like Mortensen in the role. OTOH, I think Bean did a fabulous job with Boromir and it was a frankly juicier role for an actor. To my mind, Mortensen's Aragorn was too diffident and uncertain of himself (although that could be how he was directed). To my mind, Aragorn was always surer of himself without being cocky while Boromir was cocky and headstrong.

I agree, Bernard Hill as Theoden was superb and McKellan brought a warmth to Gandalf that I never really saw in the books but liked. I always viewed Gandalf as somewhat removed -- he was fond of the hobbits but his mind was always on the end game -- at least, until the Ring was destroyed and he was able to relax somewhat. This visualization is why I invariably recommend people read books before viewing the video version. It's very hard to form an independent mental image once you've been immersed in someone else's.

emre43
Rohan

Feb 8 2016, 7:13pm

Post #13 of 27 (1206 views)
Shortcut
For me, Hugo Weaving is the perfect Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

Bowie, just doesn't fit the character at all well for me

Two things I love most, good horses and beautiful women, And when I die I hope they tan this old hide of mine and make it into a ladies riding saddle, So I can rest in peace between the two things I love.
- Russell J. Larsen

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 8 2016, 7:14pm

Post #14 of 27 (1203 views)
Shortcut
If not Elijah Wood as Frodo, who would you have cast? [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 8 2016, 7:52pm

Post #15 of 27 (1203 views)
Shortcut
Elijah Wood's Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

The only real problem with Wood as Frodo is that, even making him contemporary in age with the others, the character should not have looked like the youngest of the four Hobbits--that should have been Pippin (who actually looked too old).

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 8 2016, 7:54pm)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 8 2016, 7:56pm

Post #16 of 27 (1197 views)
Shortcut
I think it's possible Jackson put in an inconsistency intentionally, [In reply to] Can't Post

Since Frodo is not shown as aging between the ages of 33 and 50, the ring was possibly already having an effect on him. Bilbo, for instance, according to the books, looked mostly unchanged from when he arrived back in Bag End from his adventures to his birthday party 60 years later.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 8 2016, 8:31pm

Post #17 of 27 (1195 views)
Shortcut
Mostly [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Since Frodo is not shown as aging between the ages of 33 and 50, the ring was possibly already having an effect on him. Bilbo, for instance, according to the books, looked mostly unchanged from when he arrived back in Bag End from his adventures to his birthday party 60 years later.

And Gandalf did say that Bilbo had not aged a day since the last time he had seen him, maybe ten years or more earlier.

However this Frodo is younger than he was in the book. He might be only thirty-four himself when he sets out for Rivendell (assuming that Bilbo still waited until his ward was a legal adult before pulling his disappearing trick). Note that Pippin was still a young boy (born TA 2990) at the time of Bilbo's birthday party according to Tolkien's Appendices. In AUJ he is not only a full-grown adult, but he looks older then Merry, Sam or Frodo. If anything, he should seem to be the same age as Elijah Wood (if not younger).

- Dream of the Endless

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 11 2016, 3:19am

Post #18 of 27 (1146 views)
Shortcut
I've thought that Hobbits age slower than humans. [In reply to] Can't Post

For example, Frodo is recognized as an adult at 33 in the book. Most humans are recognized as adults at about 18, at least in the US.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 11 2016, 3:42am

Post #19 of 27 (1142 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Hobbits seem to age at only about two-thirds the rate of normal Men. I'm not sure what you are getting at though.

Frodo looks like a human youth of around 20 years old when he reaches his majority at age 33. At age 50, he would be equivalent to a Man of about 33 to 35, except that the Ring has slowed his ageing even further. Frodo should still seem to be almost the same age as he was when Bilbo vanished and left for Rivendell.

When Pippin, in the book, joins Frodo, Sam and Merry on the journey to Rivendell he is about 28 years old, but is still a young man of around 17 or 18 by human standards. What is confusing you?

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 11 2016, 3:52am)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 11 2016, 3:48am

Post #20 of 27 (1140 views)
Shortcut
It was a simple statement, no confusion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 11 2016, 3:53am

Post #21 of 27 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seemed like you were asking something about my previous post.

- Dream of the Endless

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 11 2016, 3:56am

Post #22 of 27 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Offhand, [In reply to] Can't Post

If Balbo didn't like Elijah Wood as Frodo, who would he have cast instead?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 11 2016, 4:01am

Post #23 of 27 (1133 views)
Shortcut
Um... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If Balbo didn't like Elijah Wood as Frodo, who would he have cast instead?

How should I know? Just ask Balbo.

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 11 2016, 4:04am)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 11 2016, 4:03am

Post #24 of 27 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 16 2016, 4:53pm

Post #25 of 27 (1045 views)
Shortcut
dunno [In reply to] Can't Post

i didnt say i did not like elijah as frodo just that he was a very recognisable film star at that point!

but i didnt particularly think elijah was the best casting, it needed a young english stage actor who was unknown, the performance was ok but it needed to be more realistic rather than movie acting, elijahs turns during shelobs sting or when the ring takes hold are pretty comedic looking at it now.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.