The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** April 20th Game

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 20 2008, 4:29pm

Post #1 of 11 (512 views)
Shortcut
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** April 20th Game Can't Post

but... but... (they sputter)... where are the answers to last week's game? Well, every player got every answer right. No need for a new thread to disclose the answers nor discuss them I think.

We have another themed set of questions this week. Last night I went with my two (grown) sons to a midnight showing of Cloverfield. It's at the second run theaters now and I wasn't going to spend full price for it but I definitely wanted to see it on the big screen. I had a (too?) strong cup of coffee at 10 pm and then got all hyped and nauseous in the movie. Came home and, still buzzed on caffeine, started investigating the easter eggs of the movie (Cloverfield). But first, as always, I checked into TORn. Sunflower caught that I was online and PMed me about Guillermo's post on Off Topic. Just between you and me, that post was on movie but I thought it was just a newbie who'd caught the wrong forum to post an introductory post. Lots of people love a grand name and I just thought this was another name choice like Celeborn, Earendil or FrodoBaggins. I was pretty skeptical when Sunflower suggested it was 'the' Guillermo but I'm less now. And I feel badly that I suggested it be moved to off topic. I'm sure it was placed on movie for a reason not clear to us at the beginning. But it will get way more exposure on off topic so perhaps I shouldn't feel too bad.

Anyhow, to get back to the theme we get back to Cloverfield: Monsters. Big ones. By rights, I don't know if we would call all of these creatures monsters but they're all big and could do some damage should they step on you. (Have you guys ever seen the Bambi vs Godzilla animated short? I think I'm still buzzed on caffeine!)

Finally.. .the questions:

1. Which Hobbit's blade beats back the first tentacle of the lake beast that snatches Frodo?

2. What weapon does the Cave Troll first use to attack Legolas?

3. What weapon is used to deliver the killing blow to the Balrog? Now, the card goes on to give you multiple choices. I don't think you need them. (after last week's perfect scores....) But if you would like them, here they are in hidden text >>> a staff, a sword, or a whip? <<<

4. How many tusked mammoth creatures do Sam and Frodo see in Ithilien?

5. In what general body area does Shelob sting Frodo? (This is my question and it's very tricksy, my friends. Very tricksy indeed.)

6. How many great horned beasts are pulling Grond?

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2008, 6:46pm

Post #2 of 11 (370 views)
Shortcut
hm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel slightly out-of-shape with these after last week's....

1. Sam (he absolutely cannot miss one of his first oppertunities out of many to save Frodo)
2. he has a mace/hammer thing- but doesn't he use a chain with Legolas? It makes Legolas look cooler, anyway, I think...heh Smile
3. sword (love that part- Glamdring, right?)
4. two? (not many, and then one falls, so I think one was left- I don't really remember that part too well, though...I like the oliphaunts, though!)
5. ok, this was the hardest...I don't actually remember seeing the place where she stung him; I want to say neck/collarbone, but that was in the book, and if this is a "tricksy" question, then that's not the right answer.....wait!!! Ok, I remember this scene...Frodo is standing there, turns around, and her stinger thing is up high around his face, and then goes down and stings him....stomach/chest? I really can't remember where she actually stung him, though....I'll go with stomach/chest area
6. two or four....four, I think (I remember wondering how they were all going to fit in front of the Minas Tirith gate for a minute)

And I definitely had the worst headache ever after seeing Cloverfield in theatres...I guess it was a good movie, but I did not like the shaky camera thing at all *shudder* Hope you had a fun time with your sons, though!

Thank you, Magpie!

(This post was edited by laerasea on Apr 20 2008, 6:54pm)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2008, 9:07pm

Post #3 of 11 (361 views)
Shortcut
"It was all too easy" . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . as said by Darth Vader from "The Empire Strikes Back".

1.) Sam

2.) Whip/Chain

3.) Though there are multiple answers, it would have to be the sword, because in the end, glamdring is what brings down the Balrog.

4.) Two

5.) His upper chest area, you can tell because there's a scar from it later on in the movie (the second scar near it is the Weathertop scar).

6.) Three

Good questions Magpie! Smile

By the way, Cloverfield was awesome. Got a bito f motion sickness, but I thought it was great!

Ash nazg durbatulūk, Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

My Upcoming Discussion Leads:

THE TWO TOWERS READING DISCUSSION: The Uruk-Hai - April 21st-27th

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Apr 20 2008, 9:09pm)

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 21 2008, 1:24pm

Post #4 of 11 (332 views)
Shortcut
Here we go! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Sam

2. chain

3. sword, specifically, Glamdring.
4. Two. You can tell these questions are written for casual fans. Why don't they just say "mumakil" instead of "tusked mammoth creatures"? And the multiple choice question above. Of course it's a sword!

5. Well, I vaguely remember seeing the circular scar on Frodo later. I think it is his upper left shoulder/chest area, above the wound from the WiKi, but below the collar bone.

6. four

Thanks, Magpie!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 21 2008, 2:55pm

Post #5 of 11 (341 views)
Shortcut
I've not only seen Bambi vs. Godzilla... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've actually had a lot of real life experiences like that (in the role of Bambi)...

A classic, to be sure.

As are your themed quizzes. My attempts for this week:

1. Which Hobbit's blade beats back the first tentacle of the lake beast that snatches Frodo?

Sam is the only one I remember getting any action here, so he gets my vote.

His chain, I think -- throws it at him bunches of times.

3. What weapon is used to deliver the killing blow to the Balrog?

Hidden answers -- pshaw. No trivia wimp am I!

It was an arrow from Legolas into his brain. Same way he takes out the Mumakil in ROTK. That must be something you learn in the Elven Archery Academy. When up against big scary things, shoot arrows into their brains.

Uh...more than one...?

Too bad you didn't ask us how many tusks were on each of the tusked creatures. I know that one. Just don't ask me to prove it.

5. In what general body area does Shelob sting Frodo? (This is my question and it's very tricksy, my friends. Very tricksy indeed.)

I always thought it was below his neck, in the general chest area, but above the mithril shirt line. But you are scaring me with that tricksy line. And I bet you have the screencaps to prove it....

Two. Somehow that scene makes me think of Noah's ark, with the pair of them going toward the gate...

Weaver

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2008, 4:46pm

Post #6 of 11 (335 views)
Shortcut
A little trickier today [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam (who else?)

I'll say his chain, but I'm still wondering if that's right.

3. What weapon is used to deliver the killing blow to the Balrog?
Glamdring.

Two.

Well, we don't see the blow, only a scar which may or may not be the result. Let's see, his stab-wound from the WitchKing is just below his left shoulder, so that makes the spider-wound the mark just below his right shoulder. It doesn't *look* like it would have been outside the mithril vest, but I guess he was wearing the off-the-shoulder look that seems to be popular.

I'm going to say two, but I bet that's wrong.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 21 2008, 5:55pm

Post #7 of 11 (330 views)
Shortcut
weaver... [In reply to] Can't Post

I want you to go back and reread question #3 carefully... and then change your answer if you need to.

Menelwyn
Rohan

Apr 21 2008, 9:33pm

Post #8 of 11 (323 views)
Shortcut
ok, this one's harder [In reply to] Can't Post

I never bother to count anything in the movies....

1. Which Hobbit's blade beats back the first tentacle of the lake beast that snatches Frodo? Sam of course

2. What weapon does the Cave Troll first use to attack Legolas? the chain thing, which Legolas then creatively turns against him

3. What weapon is used to deliver the killing blow to the Balrog? Now, the card goes on to give you multiple choices. I don't think you need them. (after last week's perfect scores....) But if you would like them, here they are in hidden text >>> a staff, a sword, or a whip? <<< Sword, specifically Glamdring

4. How many tusked mammoth creatures do Sam and Frodo see in Ithilien? two

5. In what general body area does Shelob sting Frodo? (This is my question and it's very tricksy, my friends. Very tricksy indeed.) Well, I think it's his chest, but your comment on the tricksiness (now there's a word) of the question makes me doubt myself. I'm usually covering my eyes at that point. But the wound in the left shoulder is definitely from the Witch-king, so it's gotta be the chest. Now all we need to know is how she got around the mithril vest.

6. How many great horned beasts are pulling Grond? three? No idea, really.

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 21 2008, 11:24pm

Post #9 of 11 (338 views)
Shortcut
uh...would you believe....?? [In reply to] Can't Post

..that I had been saving up that Elven Archery Academy bit for a long time and just couldn't wait one more day to use it?

Or...maybe...

..that Legolas actually swooped in and killed the Balrog with an arrow to the head when everyone was looking at Gandalf dangling from the edge like that?

No?

...how about this -- "Smote" is Gandalf's nickname for Legolas...(As in "...And Smote ruined him on the mountaintop...")

**Thanks for giving me another chance, but really, I don't deserve it...I'll just go off and hang my head in Trivia shame for awhile...

And to think I used to run this contest -- sheesh!**

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 22 2008, 1:09am

Post #10 of 11 (334 views)
Shortcut
ha ha.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew you were totally thinking Cave Troll and would kick yourself when you realized what you did.

hasufel
Rivendell

Apr 22 2008, 2:45pm

Post #11 of 11 (366 views)
Shortcut
guesses! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I believe Sam was the first to beat back a tentacle. but Frodo took a whack at one while being dragged. So I would say Sam if looking for the beat back, but Frodo took the first swing and was unsuccessful.

2. The chain around his neck

3. His sword

4. two

5. I would say around the collarbone area. Because it was above the mithril.

6. three

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.