Rotten Tomatoes for The Hobbit?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Feb 7 2016, 7:07pm

Post #1 of 39 (2113 views)
Shortcut
Rotten Tomatoes for The Hobbit? Can't Post

The LOTR trilogy was critically acclaimed and I think it deserves it. But the thing is that the TH trilogy did not get the same.
Rotten Tomatoes for LOTR was in the 90's out of 100%

Hobbit Rotten Tomatoes score:
1. AUJ-64%
2. DOS-74%
3. BOFA-60%

Do you think the TH films should be scored lower and if they are what would you score them and if you think that they should be higher what would you score?
(Bonus: You can give a summary review if you want.)

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Feb 7 2016, 7:17pm

Post #2 of 39 (2053 views)
Shortcut
I think they all should be higher [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially if we take into account the EEs. However, 74% for the theatrical "Smaug" sounds about right (how greatly the EE improved the film is astounding).

Bilbo: These are dark days.

Bofur: Dark days indeed.

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Feb 7 2016, 9:29pm

Post #3 of 39 (2018 views)
Shortcut
To be fair... [In reply to] Can't Post

The LOTR trilogy was critically acclaimed, which is deserved.
The Hobbit trilogy didn't get the same, which is also deserved. But, hate to say it as always, I personally think the scores on TH films should be even lower, especially on DOS. The only reason the scores aren't any lower is because they're labeled as Middle-Earth films, I'd say.

AUJ, 50%, I guess.
DOS, around high 40s to 50%.
BOFA... somewhere around 30%, maybe even as low as 20%.

Maybe a little bit higher here and there, but that's approximately it. I still really wish I'd be rating "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and "The Hobbit: There And Back Again" with the scores being around 80% right now, as I once hoped for, but alas.

(This post was edited by Gandalf the Green on Feb 7 2016, 9:33pm)

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Feb 7 2016, 10:00pm

Post #4 of 39 (2004 views)
Shortcut
That would mean they're worse than most films [In reply to] Can't Post

You honestly believe that the majority of films released are better than the Hobbit movies?

HeadingSouth
Bree

Feb 7 2016, 10:36pm

Post #5 of 39 (1984 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

that the LOTR films are scored way too high, and The Hobbit films are too high as well.

I would score them:

FOTR: 50%
TTT: 45%
ROTK: 40%

AUJ: 30%
DOS: 10%
BOFA: 10%.

And yes this is my genuine opinion, I think that The Hobbit films are even overrated.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 7 2016, 11:53pm

Post #6 of 39 (1969 views)
Shortcut
If I was being really mean with the marks.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd give 95% to each of the six films.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

HeadingSouth
Bree

Feb 8 2016, 2:00am

Post #7 of 39 (1944 views)
Shortcut
So, [In reply to] Can't Post

You like them all equally?

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Feb 8 2016, 3:05am

Post #8 of 39 (1929 views)
Shortcut
If I was overlord of all critic's reviews (lol) [In reply to] Can't Post

They would all be in the 90s, as well. I'd have some variation, though, as follows (with the EEs):

AUJ - 94%
DoS - 95%
BotFA - 95%
FotR - 98% (so TTT's actual score)
TTT - 92%
RotK - 99% (ala "Finding Nemo")

EDIT: This is me being 'mean,' as well. In my perfect world, at least FotR and RotK would have a universal 100% with the rest in the mid-upper 90s. But it takes years and years (and 'misplaced' negative reviews) for anything to get a mark like that.

Bilbo: These are dark days.

Bofur: Dark days indeed.

(This post was edited by TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense on Feb 8 2016, 3:09am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 8 2016, 9:26am

Post #9 of 39 (1880 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Each film contains favourite scenes, each some less favourite ones. With Lord of the Rings these days I have to stop and think to recall which film some scenes belong to - for me they're all one because I always watch them in sequence (not in one sitting, of course!). It wouldn't even cross my mind to watch one part without the other two, and I'm sure that it time the same will be true of The Hobbit.

So yes, I like them all equally. Is this a problem?

that I have never seen:

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Feb 8 2016, 10:40am

Post #10 of 39 (1869 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see how you could come up with this conclusion when the only movies I re-rated were the Hobbit films. Actually, the majority of films may be beneath that for me, or roughly the same as BOFA. I was in a bit of a mood of criticizing things more harshly - the ratings would maybe be a little higher, normally, but not much, and do remember that the ratings weren't meant to cater to the "Middle-Earth" label on these films. They have good scenes, but the bad and mediocre scenes as well as the broken narrative structure, inclusion of many many elements that bear no relevance to the plot whatsoever, the trilogy's inability to stay true to the world established in the first trilogy and all the other unnecessary things that were either there for fanservice, regardless of it affecting the story in a bad way, or simply rushed, or half-Legolassed things and the poor attempts at comedy (with only few successes there), or simply the fact that this trilogy was suffering from a bad identity crisis, not knowing what it actually wanted to be and hopping from tone to tone (one moment, slapstick comedy, the next, a serious, brooding, dark scene! Followed by a vulgar joke, and then we're back to childish things again... and now there's brutal decapitations and outright murder), all these things make for a low rating in my book, on each of these films, but mainly DOS and BOFA. An Unexpected Journey is deserving of a 60%, I guess I'd say, since it's the most faithful to the source material of all three Hobbit films, in the sense of feel, spirit of the book, etc., and it actually felt like a film on its own. It had a beginning, a middle and an end, just like all of the Lord of the Rings films. DOS was missing its end and BOFA actually started 20 minutes into the film. Or maybe you just view them all as one story, but I'm rating the films individually here.

So other than that, especially these last two films simply deviated too much from what they should've been and were lackluster as a result of the things that came from that. Too much filler, too much nonsense, too many cases of tone-hopping, not really any interesting characters, the scenarios were not believable, the action scenes lacked suspense because the "not-warrior-dwarves" (or so Balin said) were apparently capable fighters from the beginning. And most of the orcs look cartoony (blame CGI, and blame HFR and 3D for the CGI, and blame either PJ or Warner Bros or both of them for that), and are only "dangerous" when the plot needs them to be. One moment, orcs being slaughtered by fishermen, next moment, tables are turned! It just doesn't work. They try to trick you into suspense by having characters say things like, "If there is indeed a live dragon down there... don't awaken it.", or "His name is Beorn... he will help us, or, he will kill us.", or "The world is in grave danger!" (but everyone already knows how that ends), or the "Your world will burn!" scene. Framing it all as one big flashback doesn't help to add suspense either. In the LOTR trilogy, this was all handled masterfully, but in The Hobbit... not so much. Character development is either hardly existent or not nearly as obvious as it should be, they just try to trick you into believing there is by having Gandalf say, in response to Bilbo, "But if you do come back, you will not be the same", followed by him saying "You've changed, Bilbo!" in the second film. They say it, they try to make you believe it, but they never show it or make you feel it. I might rate a fanedit around 70%, actually, but definitely not the original theatrical or even the extended editions of the films.

(This post was edited by Gandalf the Green on Feb 8 2016, 10:53am)

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 8 2016, 2:02pm

Post #11 of 39 (1832 views)
Shortcut
What's inerseting... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that the Audience scores are significantly better than the Critic scores:

AUJ: 83% (19% better)
DOS: 85% (9% better)
BotFA: 75% (15% better)

This means something.

Fimbrethil, Warrior Entwife

Sez: "Why don't we terraform Earth? It's closer."

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Feb 8 2016, 2:39pm

Post #12 of 39 (1829 views)
Shortcut
And what, would you say... [In reply to] Can't Post

...does that mean? That it's easy to make a film appealing to the masses when it wears the label of an already popular series?
Not to mention the fact they tried to cram all sorts of things into these films to try to make them appealing to as many demographics as possible.

(This post was edited by Gandalf the Green on Feb 8 2016, 2:41pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2016, 3:09pm

Post #13 of 39 (1801 views)
Shortcut
EE of DOS is a masterpiece [In reply to] Can't Post

If you fix a bit the messy ending, but is a terrific movie

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to The Battle for the Fifth Trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

There and Back Again Traveller

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 8 2016, 3:35pm

Post #14 of 39 (1792 views)
Shortcut
Could have done without the Wilhelm Scream from Thrain when Sauron kills him. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kills all the dramatic tension.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2016, 3:37pm

Post #15 of 39 (1788 views)
Shortcut
Not all the drama for me [In reply to] Can't Post

but yeah I agree

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to The Battle for the Fifth Trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

There and Back Again Traveller

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Feb 8 2016, 3:49pm

Post #16 of 39 (1780 views)
Shortcut
Hmm. Speaking of Thrain... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Tell my son that I loved him."

And then Gandalf never tells him.
I see that as another barely resolved plotline.
It would've made it all the more relevant to the plot. It could've been one of the reasons for Thorin (which he to toss his crown - in fact, it could've added a bit more build-up towards that moment rather than having it happen immediately after one "golden hallucination". Have Gandalf tell Thorin his father loved him, as he is standing on the rampart, and have him think about what Gandalf said, a bit later on during the story. Add something extra...

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 8 2016, 4:02pm

Post #17 of 39 (1777 views)
Shortcut
Easy... [In reply to] Can't Post

It means that the films were enjoyed more by audience members (those who bothered to vote online) than they were by critics.

Now, what do you mean by 'the masses'? It sounds awfully condescending.....

that I have never seen:

LSF
Gondor

Feb 8 2016, 4:07pm

Post #18 of 39 (1767 views)
Shortcut
wouldn't say unresolved [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly, that's not the most appropriate place to tell Thorin about personal family matters. If anything, that might make him more upset to have that aired in front of Thranduil. Though Gandalf does try to do it discreetly by mentioning he is Thrain's son.

Someone else on here said this being "unresolved" actually adds to Thorin's tragedy, which I agree with. He dies not knowing everything, not getting that message from Gandalf.

I also believe that good stories to not always have to resolve every little thing perfectly. Sometimes leaving something for the audience to think about is a good thing.

LSF
Gondor

Feb 8 2016, 4:14pm

Post #19 of 39 (1768 views)
Shortcut
You mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

You mean the general audience the movies were made for showed a favorable reaction? Shocked How could such a thing happen with "professional" critics saying they didn't like it as much? Tongue

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 8 2016, 4:17pm

Post #20 of 39 (1766 views)
Shortcut
Simple [In reply to] Can't Post

As you said, if the Audience rating is higher then the film simply appeals to the great unwashed masses.

However, if the Critic rating was higher then I'd wager you'd reply that the film appeals to an ossified out-of-touch elite.

It's your reaction to the ratings that means something, not the ratings themselves.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 8 2016, 4:20pm

Post #21 of 39 (1762 views)
Shortcut
You'd be surprized... [In reply to] Can't Post

...how many films made for the great unwashed masses failed to appeal to them.

They're not as stupid as you think.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 8 2016, 4:24pm

Post #22 of 39 (1755 views)
Shortcut
What is the world coming to...... [In reply to] Can't Post

...with audiences running amuk and enjoying films. That's not supposed to happen! Evil

that I have never seen:

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Feb 8 2016, 4:50pm

Post #23 of 39 (1734 views)
Shortcut
Artificially Lower Score [In reply to] Can't Post

It is apparent from reading the critics' reviews for AUJ that the rotten tomatoes score would have been higher if it wasn't for the high frame rate. I think it's stupid to take a knock against a film based on the viewing conditions....it's like a reviewer knocking a star off a movie because the theater they saw it in sucked.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 8 2016, 4:54pm

Post #24 of 39 (1738 views)
Shortcut
Obviously... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Now, what do you mean by 'the masses'? It sounds awfully condescending.....

It means if everybody liked something he didn't like it's clear evidence of the ignorance and impercipience of the great unwashed masses.

However, if they like what he liked then it's proof of his superior judgement and discernment.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 8 2016, 5:07pm

Post #25 of 39 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, Tolkien is srs bsns!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's "serious business" to all us great unwashed.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.