The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Scooby Do Smaug Chase

StingingFly
Lorien

Feb 7 2016, 6:45pm

Post #1 of 7 (675 views)
Shortcut
Scooby Do Smaug Chase Can't Post

The Smaug chase scene reminds me of the monster chase scenes in Scooby Do. Scary monster, no real danger to the protagonists, an elaborate trap is set up then sprung on the unsuspecting beast.

The only thing missing was an unmasking and subsequent villain monologue explaining why they did it.

So, let's say Smaug is buried up do his neck in gold and the dwarves pull off the mask...

Who is it and what is their monologue?

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 8 2016, 10:43pm

Post #2 of 7 (535 views)
Shortcut
Dr. Strange? [In reply to] Can't Post

JKCool

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 8 2016, 11:02pm

Post #3 of 7 (533 views)
Shortcut
Barliman Butterbur [In reply to] Can't Post

"OK, Barliman! What’s the big idea?"

"Uh, well, I thought I'd steal all the Dwarven gold, and so I'd be rich, and then I wouldn't have to work anymore."

"You fiend!"

"And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling dwarves!"

Fimbrethil, Warrior Entwife

Sez: "Why don't we terraform Earth? It's closer."

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Feb 8 2016, 11:07pm)

StingingFly
Lorien

Feb 9 2016, 12:19am

Post #4 of 7 (506 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

...not who I had in mind at all! I have an idea, but will wait to see if anyone else comes up with the same.

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 9 2016, 6:32pm

Post #5 of 7 (451 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf... [In reply to] Can't Post

He then explains his incredibly elaborate reason for pretending to be a dragon all these years - So that people would think he's a real wizard. "And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling dwarves"

...It always turns out to be the person who started the whole thing. And it would explain where he keeps going - running ahead setting up situations to pretend to save everyone from.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Feb 9 2016, 6:47pm)

StingingFly
Lorien

Feb 10 2016, 2:13am

Post #6 of 7 (424 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Two great ideas, I was thinking Thrain.
All: Thrain!
Thorin: Dad! How could you?
Thrain: Well, your grandfather came down with an awful case of the dragon sickness. I had to do something. Then I remembered the old dragon legends and created this costume.
Balin: but did you have to destroy Erebor!? Not to mention Dale.
Thrain: in retrospect it was a bit much, but I just didn't want him to fall back into old habits. And I certainly didn't want my son to follow in his footsteps! I was going to keep my family out of this mountain forever...and I would've gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling dwarves!

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Feb 10 2016, 2:45am

Post #7 of 7 (420 views)
Shortcut
Balin: Is that... a mask? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin: Remove it!

*Balin and Dwalin remove the mask*

Bilbo: Lobelia Sackville-Baggins!?!?

Thorin: You know this deceiver?

Bilbo: Well, yes... but how... why???

Lobelia: What's it to you?! I've been after your things for some time, Bilbo, sneaking about your windows, waiting for the right moment to make off with something shiny and valuable. Then one night I just so happen to hear the commotion inside involving a large fortune of gold and couldn't resist! I immediately set off to the mountain.

Balin: But then, what about the real Smaug?

Lobelia: I killed him with flair and a greater love of petty theft! And I would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for the gold you miserable rodents drowned me in.

Bilbo: Well, that is ironic, isn't it?

Bilbo: These are dark days.

Bofur: Dark days indeed.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.