The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Tauriel's Story Chapter 6 - The Variags at Taras

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 7 2016, 4:37am

Post #1 of 19 (2381 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel's Story Chapter 6 - The Variags at Taras Can't Post

This one is a bit shorter, but there's lots of action and two new characters - one of which is canon. Any info on this canon character will be greatly appreciated. Also, I didn't make up the eagle-owl; they actually exist. Here's a picture:

The Variags at Taras

Grigore shouted commands to the Elves before leaping behind Tauriel on her horse. One of the male elves joined Andriev, while the short-haired female rode with Mattias. They kicked the horses into full speed and turned to intercept the Variags, while the other elves ran toward the village.

The main group of Variags moved like a storm-cloud toward Taras, but a small wave broke from the main group and charged toward Tauriel and the others. They were nearly indistinguishable in grey and black clothing, noses and mouths covered by scarves. Their black hair appeared to be thin, knotted or braided on the back of their heads. Their horses, tall and strong, ranged in color from cream to deep brown – not unlike Tauriel’s. The three Elven riders fired arrows, thinning the ranks somewhat. As the distance closed, Mattias pulled out a boot axe and launched it at a Variag rider, not only killing him but knocking his body off the horse. The steed kept running until it was retrieved by one of the elves still on foot. Meanwhile, Grigore hopped into a low crouch and leaped towards another Variag, catching him by the throat, spinning around and breaking the rider’s neck before tossing the body over and settling on the horse’s back. He turned and came up beside Tauriel, shouting “Make for the village!”

Tauriel did as he requested, and quickly realized why he sent her away. The Variags could fire arrows while their horses ran in full gallop; something she couldn’t do – but Grigore could. He covered her retreat as she raced to the village. She could see most of the villagers were fleeing into the forest; the rest were erecting a barricade of simple netting. Those manning the barricade shouted and waived at her. She couldn’t understand the words, but she could follow their directions. She rode toward the end of the barricade, and as soon as she passed by the end was pulled up and staked into place.

Inside the barricade was a wooden fence, and behind that fence stood a line of archers led by a lone she-elf. Her hair, black as Grigore’s, flowed down her back except for two braids that wrapped around her head like a crown. She wore something of a dress in bright blue, however the bow arm and shoulder were bare. A colorful sash was tied around her waist, and silver hoops like Grigore’s dangled from her ears. She motioned for Tauriel to join the archers at the end of the line. Tauriel pulled an arrow and stood ready to fire.

Most of the Variags swung to either side of the barrier, but a few were able to jump their horses over it; they were hit by a barrage of arrows. Tauriel then fired at a horseman coming around the barricade, but she forgot her bow wasn’t as powerful as her former weapon, and the arrow fell short. The she-elf glared at her dismissively. Tauriel tossed her bow aside and produced her daggers as the horseman drew near. She was unaware that the Variag rarely dismount while in battle. The rider was struck by an arrow and fell from the horse – surprisingly, he stood and continued to advance, drawing his sword in the process. Tauriel quickly dispatched him. Another horseman charged her with a spear; she ducked and evaded him with ease. Grigore came around the barrier and fired two arrows into the rider’s back. He fell from his horse, dead.

More riders came around the barrier; all were hit by arrows, many fell from their horses, but some of those were able to stand and fight with swords and spears. One rider threw his spear over the barrier, killing an archer. Mattias and Grigore joined Tauriel in hand to hand combat with the unhorsed Variags, while the archers continued firing at the riders. The main group of riders were circling and regrouping for another attack when Tauriel saw something out of the corner of her eye. It was an eagle-owl, flying out of the forest and circling over the battlefield. Tauriel thought that strange, since owls are nocturnal hunters. She was even more surprised to see an old man walking out of the forest, dressed in blue and carrying a long staff. Despite the obvious danger he kept walking forward, until he reached the fence. He raised his staff overhead then swung it around, pointing the decorative top at the Variag. An icy cold blast of strong wind struck the horsemen, chilling both man and animal to the bone and bringing them to a standstill. They stayed for a moment, looking confused, before their apparent leader signaled a retreat. The assault had failed.

Tauriel watched the eagle-owl fly back into the forest; some of the villagers were cautiously coming out. She turned to ask Grigore who the man in blue was. Grigore was checking a fallen Variag, noticing the rider wore a thickly padded vest made of tightly woven material – enough to stop the arrows from penetrating. “This is something new,” he sighed. Before Tauriel could speak, the she-elf archer came up to Grigore and spoke harshly, gesturing at Tauriel as she spoke. Grigore answered equally harshly before finally saying, “Minya, this is Tauriel – Tauriel, this is my sister Minya.” Minya clearly wasn’t interested in meeting Tauriel, she continued speaking in rough, guttural tones until Grigore shouted “Enough! She is my guest, Minya!” She glared at Tauriel one last time before walking away. Grigore stood, clutching the vest he’d removed from the Variag. “I am sorry – Minya hasn’t been herself lately.” He noticed Andriev kneeling by the dead archer, crying. He came up beside Andriev and clasped his shoulder. “I am sorry,” he said softly.

Tauriel was moved by his grief as well. “He was family?” Andriev nodded, but was unable to speak. She noticed Grigore also looked grief-stricken, but she also realized now would not be the time to ask. Besides, the man in blue was approaching.

Grigore hugged Andriev fiercely before saying, “Tend to him. I will speak for you.” Andriev sniffed and nodded. By this time Mattias and the other Elves were standing nearby. Grigore rose and addressed the man in blue. “We have much to tell you.”

“I don’t doubt it,” he replied, glancing at Tauriel. “You are from the West, are you not?”

“Yes – how did you know?”

He smiled. “When you are as old as I am, you learn a thing or two. What is your name, child?”

She wondered why he would call her ‘child’ – surely he knows of the long life of Elves? “I am Tauriel of Mirkwood.”

“Mirkwood?” He looked puzzled.

“Never mind that,” Grigore cut in, “she has important information you must here.”

“Well then, let us proceed to the Meeting House.” He turned and started toward the village. Grigore and Tauriel started to follow him when he suddenly stopped, turned and said, “Where are my manners? I forgot to introduce myself – my name is Alatar.”

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 7 2016, 4:58am

Post #2 of 19 (2362 views)
Shortcut
"...my name is A*****." [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest, I saw that coming. I am curious how you will handle him and whether or not he achieved any of his original goals. I'm guessing that we will not encounter his (former?) colleague in this tale as he might be somewhere in Far Harad.

Nice observation of yours that he would likely not recognize the name Mirkwood as if he knew of the Forest at all, it would have still been the Greenwood or Eryn Galen in Sindarin.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Feb 7 2016, 12:18pm

Post #3 of 19 (2352 views)
Shortcut
The Blue Wizard [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel meeting one of the Blue Wizards is interesting, in fact I was hoping that she would! Smile
Also, Minya's attitude towards Tauriel is understandable imo - maybe the Avari really don't like change. Wink

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Feb 7 2016, 1:42pm

Post #4 of 19 (2349 views)
Shortcut
Great [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all I really like Tauriel's Story, looking forward to the next part.
Second this is the first time I have ever heard my name (Mattias) with something that has to do with Middle Earth, and I like it.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 7 2016, 2:10pm

Post #5 of 19 (2347 views)
Shortcut
His mission [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I've read conflicting reports about that subject - some say they failed, but others say they were successful, but I don't exactly know what the mission was. I've also read that they traveled with Saruman to the East in search of Sauron, and the two blues stayed to keep watch. That's the plan I'm going with. We will hear about the other in the next chapter.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 7 2016, 2:11pm

Post #6 of 19 (2344 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's so cool!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 7 2016, 3:38pm

Post #7 of 19 (2340 views)
Shortcut
The Mission(s) of the Blues [In reply to] Can't Post

Even Tolkien couldn't make up his mind on whether the Blue Wizards succeeded, failed or fell somewhere in between. Presumably they were to encourage resistance against Sauron and his servants in the East and South of Middle-earth.

You might decide that Pallando did fall to the Enemy; or was won over as was Saruman; or lost his way by becoming to involved in lesser affairs. Or he might have had his own small successes that never got attention in the North.

- Dream of the Endless

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 7 2016, 4:36pm

Post #8 of 19 (2335 views)
Shortcut
Pallando [In reply to] Can't Post

I read somewhere that Pallando did "something" that changed the course of events - no idea what that means, but that's probably what he's doing.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 7 2016, 5:04pm

Post #9 of 19 (2334 views)
Shortcut
Pallando in the South [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I read somewhere that Pallando did "something" that changed the course of events - no idea what that means, but that's probably what he's doing.

I suspect that what you read was conjecture. Tolkien himself never seems to have decided for certain one way or the other. If I remember correctly, Tolkien's last known word on the subject was that the Blue Wizards might have been at least partly successful and the forces that Sauron brought from the East and the South might otherwise have been even greater. However, it is all speculation.

I do wonder it the Blue Wizards might have had features that reflected their destinations. Alatar/Morinehtar might have looked somewhat Asian while Pallando/Rómestámo might have appeared Middle-eastern or Black.

- Dream of the Endless

Sarahbor
Lorien

Feb 8 2016, 3:48am

Post #10 of 19 (2324 views)
Shortcut
Blue Wizards! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very cool. They would be very interesting in a bridge film between Hobbit and LOTR, if only the filmmakers had the rights to show them and say their names! (Hence Gandalf's "forgetting" of their names in AUJ)

I liked the battle. I'm fascinated by horse archery and really really want to try it out! In BOFA Tauriel is shown shooting from horseback while the horse is at a canter; guess she hasn't mastered shooting at a gallop yet.

Hobbit/LOTR cartoons & humor: http://www.sarahbor.com/

(This post was edited by Sarahbor on Feb 8 2016, 3:49am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 8 2016, 5:20am

Post #11 of 19 (2315 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel the Hunter [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Very cool. They would be very interesting in a bridge film between Hobbit and LOTR, if only the filmmakers had the rights to show them and say their names! (Hence Gandalf's "forgetting" of their names in AUJ)

The hypothetical bridge film might need to stay more focused and it would probably be wisest to ignore the pair of Blue Wizards (especially with the rights for them tied up with the Tolkien Estate).

In Reply To
liked the battle. I'm fascinated by horse archery and really really want to try it out! In BOFA Tauriel is shown shooting from horseback while the horse is at a canter; guess she hasn't mastered shooting at a gallop yet.

Tolkien's The Hobbit has me thinking that Tauriel should be quite proficient at hunting from horseback:

Companies of the Wood-elves, sometimes with the king at their head, would from time to time ride out to hunt, or to other business in the woods and in the lands to the East. Then if Bilbo was very nimble, he could slip out just behind them; though it was a dangerous thing to do.

- Dream of the Endless

Sarahbor
Lorien

Feb 8 2016, 6:27am

Post #12 of 19 (2309 views)
Shortcut
Bridge film [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I know, that was just me geeking out. In reality they couldn't actually use the Blue Wizards.

Agree about the hunter elves; I was just talking about what was written in the story. She should probably be able to shoot at a gallop. I fell off a horse at a gallop once. The saddle didn't fit him despite being pulled as tight as it could possibly go; he was just too fat. Guess elves don't have that problem!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 8 2016, 6:20pm

Post #13 of 19 (2290 views)
Shortcut
Just for clarification [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel was riding with Legolas when she was firing arrows, whereas Grigore and the Variags can steer the horse with their knees while firing arrows. Probably a really difficult thing, especially at full speed. I've heard that the Huns & some Mongels can do that, also Commanche Indians from Texas & Oklahoma reportedly could do that as well. I haven't really thought about it, but I suppose Grigore could teach Tauriel how to do so, we'll see.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 8 2016, 6:25pm

Post #14 of 19 (2286 views)
Shortcut
Well, maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

"Tolkien's The Hobbit has me thinking that Tauriel should be quite proficient at hunting from horseback:

Companies of the Wood-elves, sometimes with the king at their head, would from time to time ride out to hunt, or to other business in the woods and in the lands to the East. Then if Bilbo was very nimble, he could slip out just behind them; though it was a dangerous thing to do."
Well we didn't see many horses in the movie, LOL! But seriously, to fire arrows while the horse is in full gallop is quite a skill, you have to steer with your knees. Of course, Elves are special so I suppose they can do ANYTHING; I guess I'm just thinking that it's not something just anyone can do - because it's not!

(This post was edited by Kilidoescartwheels on Feb 8 2016, 6:25pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 8 2016, 7:01pm

Post #15 of 19 (2282 views)
Shortcut
Elven horses [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven-bred horses are supposed to have been very intelligent and trainable beasts; I would estimate that they were nearly the equals to the Mearas such as Shadowfax. I would expect that many Elf hunters and warriors would have learned to steer their mounts with their knees and even with voice commands.

That doesn't guarantee that Tauriel would have picked up the skill, especially if she routinely patrolled on foot. On the other hand, she did have several centuries in which to pick up such techniques.

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 8 2016, 7:03pm)

Sarahbor
Lorien

Feb 8 2016, 8:54pm

Post #16 of 19 (2272 views)
Shortcut
Ah, OK [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotcha. Yep, the Mongols and Huns were masters of horse archery, which enabled them to conquer much of Asia. They invented the horsebow, which is better suited for firing on horseback. It's possible to steer a horse with just your lower legs and not use the reins at all. The challenge is not so much steering with the legs, but accurately shooting the bow at the same time while the horse is running at full speed.

I seem to remember in TTT book Legolas was able to control Arod (the horse he got from the Rohirrim) with just his voice, because that was a skill the elves had with horses. I imagine she would be able to shoot at a gallop either from innate elvish skill or centuries of practice, but since we're never actually told I suppose anything goes!

TaliaEmerald
Bree

Mar 5 2016, 8:36pm

Post #17 of 19 (2113 views)
Shortcut
Loving it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really liking your story! I can't wait to read more!!! Keep up the amazing writing!!
Also, I was wondering, are the "Dark elves" something Tolkien created or are they something you came up with? I'm not very familiar with most of Prof. Tolkien's other writings, but hopefully I will be someday!! Wink

Elven Lady of the Greenwood Realm

http://429205116927399394.weebly.com/

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 5 2016, 9:35pm

Post #18 of 19 (2110 views)
Shortcut
Dark Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, the Dark Elves, a.k.a. the Moriquendi, are from Tolkien. Technically, the Dark Elves are made up of both the Avari (those Elves who never heeded the call of the Valar) and those Elves who began the Great Journey but never crossed over into Aman and never saw the light of the Two Trees.

The Avari are also called the East-elves. The Wood-elves (or Silvan Elves) of Mirkwood and Lothlórien were Moriquendi and may have included some of the Avari who eventually wandered out of the East.

- Dream of the Endless

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 5 2016, 11:33pm

Post #19 of 19 (2105 views)
Shortcut
You can rely on Otaku [In reply to] Can't Post

He's very knowledgeable about all things Tolkien, and he's helping me alot. I started writing this because a few TORners were saying it would be a cool story, since the movie doesn't tell us what happens to Tauriel. I'm glad you're liking it.Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.