First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Goldie Took
The Shire

Mar 4 2007, 5:53pm

Post #101 of 666 (164936 views)
Shortcut
hullo! one of the Tooks here :) [In reply to] Can't Post

the Took formerly known as Goldilocks.. going with the shorter Goldie Took

I've been around Torn since right after FOTR came out, and I had no idea when choosing my geeky nickname I would end up meeting so many of my online friends LOL (I'm very tall with long dark hair) or I would of choosen wiser I suppose :P

*waves*

WhiteLadyEowyn
Rivendell

Mar 4 2007, 8:50pm

Post #102 of 666 (170685 views)
Shortcut
OMG Hi !!!! :: hugs :: [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to see you around here. :)

hopebeam

Mar 11 2007, 11:29pm

Post #103 of 666 (182021 views)
Shortcut
Fancy posting underneath the Took! [In reply to] Can't Post

Helloo, m'lady!
Is your email addy the same one we used to use??

_V_
Lorien

Mar 12 2007, 1:06am

Post #104 of 666 (163725 views)
Shortcut
Draug [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I'm Draug. I'm from the USA.

I've been a fairly low-level poster but I've been here since before FOTR hit theaters (what a time that was, checking for news about what things would look like, etc.)

My mom read me LOTR when I was a boy; I'm only 21, so although being kind of young I guess I"m one of the last generation of fans that read the books ***BEFORE** there was news of a movie coming out (I think I read it in like 1996), back in the days when everyone who read it would say "no way in heck this could be made into a movie"

And then I saw a blurb in a newspaper that they were starting work on a LOTR movie (this was like 1997), and I just googled around on the internet until I found stuff like this; this was also the first time I actually had a computer and the internet and stuff, so it's kind of how I started getting online in fandom and such (similar to how the LOTR DVD's redefined how people thought of DVD's: I mean who had "DVD parties" before LOTR?)

So I'm a big book fan (Silmarillion is SO cool; looking foward to Children of Hurin), that was excited when the movies came out and was obsessively comparing everything to what's in the book, what details they added in (obsessing over minor details is half the fun!)

Have every LOTR action figure (like 70); haha, well it took like 5 years worth of christmases and birthdays to get them all eventually. Except Wormtongue of course; they made like none of those.

Looking foward to a Hobbit and prequel/linker-Appendix movie. IN the end, I think everything will work out.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 12 2007, 3:40am

Post #105 of 666 (169923 views)
Shortcut
*scratches Draug from list of the missing* [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the new boards!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Mar. 5-11: Tolkien's "Visions, Myths and Legends".

Annael
Immortal

Mar 17 2007, 4:18pm

Post #106 of 666 (168756 views)
Shortcut
I mean [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm the one on the left as you look at it - is that what you meant?

Here's another pic of me having tea with my niece on her birthday last winter - I'm on the left - the one in red!

Only a real man would dare do his morning power walk in a puffy shirt.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

hobbitlove
Gondor

Mar 20 2007, 2:55am

Post #107 of 666 (170898 views)
Shortcut
This is embarrassing... [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush
Gotta get this over with but it is more than a bit embarrassing to have to do it. The hobbity hubby and I are dumping our new nicks.

It didn't take long to realize that the fancy new nicks that we (and by that, I mean I) picked for the new boards just weren't right. They had to go! So, "Amrun n'Anor" and "Annun n'Ithil" are no more! (Except in poetry and song, of course)
We're very sorry for all this silly fuss.
I promise, no more changes! EVER! (on these boards at least)
It is "ordinaryhobbit" (the hubby) and "hobbitlove" (for me) from now on. Simple is good.

Still 'Hob'

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others, briefly)

=]

Egleria! Iorhael!

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 20 2007, 3:08am

Post #108 of 666 (169684 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... 'Hob' is back! n/t [In reply to] Can't Post

Lothirienne

Mar 24 2007, 3:13am

Post #109 of 666 (171010 views)
Shortcut
Oldtimer finding her way back [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I' m Lothirienne. I joined TORn after FOTR came out and was very active through "the movie years". I started in the Reading Room where I lurked for awhile and then joined in the discussions. I first read LOTR when I was a teenager (that would be just after the earth cooled!) and read it many times through the college years. Took a break but reread it again as I heard the movies were coming out and have continued to reread it. TORn was a very special part of my life for sevearl years, haven't really had the time for awhile. I happened back on the baords just as the message for the final Fiesta thread was up.

In real life I am a biology professor at a community college with Mr. Lothirienne and 2 children keeping me very busy! My office is decorated wtih LOTR references, movie pictures and calnedars as well as maps of Middle Earth. I manage to work a lot of LOTR into my lectures (today it was comparing similarities of arthropods with elven, Rohirrim and Gondorian armour) Fun to come back and see many names I remember. I don't know how often I will be able to post, but I will try to visit now and again. As other people have said - TORn was a very special place and I loved the time I spent here, the discussions of the books, the movies, and the great limerick contests and song paradies on MAIN! (We still sing the Christmas carols that Inferno posted before Two Towers premiered!)

Lady Luthien

Mar 27 2007, 10:24pm

Post #110 of 666 (173505 views)
Shortcut
Introduction [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello! I've visited this site since FOTR came out, but I haven't participated in the message boards until now. I'm a freshman in college studying graphic design and Japanese. I've been a Lord of the Rings fan since 5th grade, right after I read the Hobbit. I don't know what else to say, so if you want to know more you can message me. Bye!

Aelinil

Apr 5 2007, 5:40pm

Post #111 of 666 (172282 views)
Shortcut
Aloha All! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, I'm Aelinl and I am a complete newbie to these boards. Wink I have had TORn set as my home page since FOTR so I visit daily and have contributed a couple of articles. But I must say I have never ventured over to these boards, so I guess better late than never! Crazy

I am a Mum of two beautiful children, whom I call my little dragons, I've been married for almost 14 years and I currently reside in AZ. I was born in Hawaii and grew up and Air Force brat and spent many years traveling. Luckily I am still very close to my family in Hawaii and visit as often as I can. I'm an avid fantasy fan and am a member of a few different forums, TFF, Stormcrowpictures (formerly the Ringers forum), ASoIaF and now these great boards! Hope to be online enough to get to know you all...see you on the boards!

(This post was edited by Aelinil on Apr 5 2007, 5:47pm)

bejeweled_1
The Shire

Apr 9 2007, 12:57am

Post #112 of 666 (183791 views)
Shortcut
Hello all! Sorry I overlooked this thread when I first registered... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't find this site until the trilogy films were just about wrapped up. I think ROTK was about to be released. So I didn't register--thought it was kind of late to participate at that point, but I've visited the site numerous times since then and was impressed to see that the site is still thriving. I finally decided to join a few weeks ago, intrigued in part by the weekly Lost thread (I've been an avid fan since day one though I'm a bit disappointed this year). I'd visited ABC's Lost theads several times but was not impressed.

I'm also an avid LOTR fan and first read the trilogy for a college Fantasy Lit class in the late 70's. I truly love the films and still watch them when I need a fix. My husband's grown kind of weary of them so I try to find times now when he's not at home. lol!

I live in Va Beach with my husband of 10 years, our two beagles, Sammie and Sadie (ages 15 and 16 months, respectively), and our tarantula Rosie (4+ years old--not sure of her exact age). I teach English online for a technical college, so I'm online a zillion hous a week (at least it seems like a zillion!). :) I love the beach and suntanning, reading when I have the chance and my eyes aren't too weary from the pc, movies, and rock music.

Guess that's enough about me. I'm looking forward to interaction with the members on this great site!

frodo33
The Shire

Apr 11 2007, 4:56am

Post #113 of 666 (171501 views)
Shortcut
When should I head to Welington for the Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello , my name is David and I am a newbie. I always thought theonering.net was for "secret" insiders or something like that. I currently work as a customer service rep for a flower company (you'll be surprised by their healing power and how great they can make people feel). I remember reading something about all three Lord of the Rings movies being made at once back in the day and thinking that would really rock if Peter Jackson pulls it off (the only comparison I had was Star Wars). My ideal day would be learning how to surf at Lyall Bay and be an extra in the Hobbit if it is ever made (I think I would enjoy living in Wellington). Smile

http://www.travelpod.com/members/drmnsd
http://groups.myspace.com/thehobbitfilm

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 11 2007, 2:04pm

Post #114 of 666 (173312 views)
Shortcut
Hey, welcome to the group of 'secret' insiders.... [In reply to] Can't Post

or something like that. ;^)

I wouldn't be at all surprised at the healing power of flowers. We've had some conversations about the symbology of flowers in the movies. I wouldn't be surprised if there's been similar ones for the books.

welcome.

Enjoy the LOTR movie soundtracks?
Why not join us for fun and discussion in
the current Movie Music Trivia Game.

SPECIAL *APRIL* EDITION OF THE GAME

Carandalien

Apr 12 2007, 5:56am

Post #115 of 666 (169538 views)
Shortcut
Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone!
I've just signed up to the new boards. I've been using TORN for a while, but unfortunately haven't been able to spend as much time on it as I would like :) I've been watching my LOTR DVDs over the past week and they brought back all those wonderful memories of seeing them for the first time ...

orcbane
Gondor

May 19 2007, 7:59pm

Post #116 of 666 (164275 views)
Shortcut
Greetings from Orcbane [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally here! I am fairly new to forums, but have spent a learning year on a quite nice small forum. I like talking about Tolkien's world & our own (The two are connected in some odd way). I love the Armies of Middle-Earth figure series and making customs & original figures. I am very concerned about a deteriorating environment. I hate Trolls.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 19 2007, 8:51pm

Post #117 of 666 (172427 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the boards! /nt [In reply to] Can't Post

Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

May 14-20: Open Discussion!

Alanna Smithee

May 29 2007, 6:37pm

Post #118 of 666 (165373 views)
Shortcut
Hi everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

I go by Alanna Smithee on the kongisking.net boards, and eons ago I went by PisceanMaid here, but the system didn't seem to want to remember such a slacker, so I'll just be Alanna here as well. Laugh

*waves to Altaira and any other KiKn folk who are here*

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 29 2007, 7:06pm

Post #119 of 666 (166107 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

The new boards would indeed have required you to re-register as PisceanMaid without reference to your previous incarnation under that name, but why not: welcome Alanna!

Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Thanks to everyone who participated in our sixteen-week discussion of Tolkien-inspired artwork! New posts on this subject are welcome at any time.

owlstar

May 30 2007, 1:11pm

Post #120 of 666 (185807 views)
Shortcut
hello [In reply to] Can't Post

hi im kirsty and im from edinburgh. after a long absence i return to find everything new and sparkaly. so i have a new sparkly name. for those of you who might remember i was child of the evening light.Smile

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 30 2007, 4:21pm

Post #121 of 666 (175255 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! or Welcome Back! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to see you here!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 11 2007, 7:09pm

Post #122 of 666 (195746 views)
Shortcut
This should explain me a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only just now found this thread. "Duh"

I've been reading The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit since I was 19yo in 1971 and have read it at least once a year ever since. I saw each of the films an average of 55 times, and can't wait to see it at the theatre AGAIN!

I'm a gramma of 4 (hence, my nickname IS my given name... by them). I live in Michigan and work as an online/database editor/caretaker for a university.

I found TORn in January 2002 after being a member of the "official" Lord of the Rings website... who led me here through one of their posts. I was lucky enough to get my name on 2 of the 3 eedvds *squeeeee* and can't WAIT to get to New Zealand!

HUGS!

(picture in my profile ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Lorien Calling

Jun 25 2007, 5:10am

Post #123 of 666 (168422 views)
Shortcut
My goodness, but it's been such a long time! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought that a new name suited the new boards. Some of you may know me as Glorindiel. I think that's what it was...like I said, it's been such a long time since I was on...
Well, I'm 18 and a LOTR junkie still and proud of it! :) Glad my boyfriend appreciates that. (He's a closet junkie) Speak of the devil, he's the love of my life, and he's a combat medic in the Army Reserves, heading to Iraq in a coupple months...sad...
Anyway, back to me, I'm heading to college this fall to study visual arts, mainly photography, and theatre arts. Fun fun.

Put up one of my senior pics :)

Happy Hobbit Lass

Jul 24 2007, 9:38pm

Post #124 of 666 (169069 views)
Shortcut
Greetings! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello everyone! I am a nineteen-year-old English Major at Luther College - Tolkien was part (most) of my inspiration for choosing to study English. I am a geek and a loser, but that doesn't really matter, because I think geeks and losers represent the best of humanity. There is an assortment of obsessions, usually stories of some sort in book, movie, or television form, that I constantly dance among, waltzing with one before skipping off to another for a while... The Lord of the Rings is my most common partner. In that same vein, I have an inner hobbit lass who is increasingly fond of bare feet, long skirts, and food. My life's goal is to convince the world that fantasy and science fiction novels can potentially avoid the cheap action thrill or child bedtime story stereotypes and be intelligent genres worthy of being labelled "great literature."

I first read The Lord of the Rings somewhere around seven or eight years ago and was immediately hooked. I've read it a total of seven times, three times pre-movies, four times post-movies, so enough to brag a little bit, although I still bow to the superiority of those who have read it far more often. Wink I have also enjoyed some of Tolkien's other works, including The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, and Children of Hurin. I've had theonering.net as my homepage for well over two years without ever thinking about joining the forums. Ah well, at least I'm here now!

Thank you very much for providing a great community! I look forward to meeting all of you and expanding my Tolkien geekdom. Smile

"Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer." A feisty Tolkien

Nazguy
Bree

Jul 29 2007, 9:27pm

Post #125 of 666 (165025 views)
Shortcut
Back after a long break... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everybody

I used to frequent these boards during that period of delicious expectation before the films were released, and for some time after. I stopped posting because my life got fairly busy and complicated and everything internet-related kind of fell by the wayside.

During my absence I've been diagnosed with that wonderful illness M.E., sometimes known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I had to give up work at the beginning of the year and have had some really rough moments health-wise but I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

I recently realised that I hadn't read a book written by Tolkien for some time, so I dusted off my copy of The Silmarillion and got stuck in. Whilst reading it I suddenly thought of TORn and so decided to check out my old haunt. It's still here! Okay, it looks a bit different but I'll get used to it.

I look forward to getting to know everyone (again)

Nazguy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.