Unpopular Hobbit trilogy opinions?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 9 2016, 12:58am

Post #26 of 39 (538 views)
Shortcut
And Beorn's serving animals? // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 9 2016, 7:29am

Post #27 of 39 (517 views)
Shortcut
I like the stone giants scene too [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO beautifully done. Beautifully rendered. And leads to some very nice moments showing Thorin's disdain for Bilbo and how driven Thorin is. And so it's more meaningful when Bilbo has his speech later, because I recall Thorin's harshness, and so does he, apparently. Plus with Thorin saving Bilbo we get, I think, another glimpse of how complex Thorin is, and the kind of leader he is.

And love the idea of the naturalistic rock coming to life.Heart There may be scenes I skip but that was never one of them, ever.

Love the gold floor scene too. Trippy, beautiful, terrible, not the same old same old. IMO the tail sliding through the floor was genius, and then the way the floor is a sinkhole, and that eerie gold haze. Heart

Love the whole forges scene - ha ha, Thorin telling Smaug he's fat.Cool

OK, I didn't like Alfrid' s death. Thought it would have been more effective just to have him run off. Then he ends up like one of my cat's hairballs, and why didn't Gandalf just pull him out anyway?

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 10 2016, 6:08am

Post #28 of 39 (488 views)
Shortcut
Sure, why not? // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 10 2016, 2:30pm

Post #29 of 39 (487 views)
Shortcut
Just liking the films [In reply to] Can't Post

with some seems to be unpopular. lol

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 10 2016, 3:28pm

Post #30 of 39 (469 views)
Shortcut
How right you are! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 10 2016, 3:35pm

Post #31 of 39 (473 views)
Shortcut
On liking The Hobbit films [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like them as much as The Lord of the Rings, but I respect the work put into them to bring them to the screen. Also liked the more subtle references to The Silmarillion, such as Radagast saying that the spiders were offspring of Ungoliant. I didn't mind the Kili/Tauriel subplot because I think Tolkien would have put in an interspecies romance in somewhere; he already had three in his works. Battle of Five Armies CGI was a little sloppy, however.

Noria
Gondor

Feb 10 2016, 3:59pm

Post #32 of 39 (468 views)
Shortcut
Yes liking the movies sometimes seems like an unpopular opinion here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of my unpopular opinions:

I loathe the Goblin King. IMO the performance is over-the-top and the whole thing is PJ at his self-indulgent fanboy worst.

A lot of people say the same thing about the Stone Giants but I love them.

I think that the Dwarves bathing in the fountain and the reactions of Elrond and Lindir are funny.

I like the Dwarves versus Smaug scene (except for Thorin standing on Smaug’s nose) and I love the gold statue.

I like the addition of Tauriel and Legolas to the story and am OK with her relationship with Kili. Legolas’ stunts don’t bother me, in fact they make me laugh.

I like Alfrid in DOS but not so much in BOTFA. His death scene is awful.

I liked the Ravenhill sequence and the deaths of Fili, Kili,Thorin and Azog.

I never cared a bit that Azog was still alive in the movies and that his and Bolg’s roles were changed.

I think that Richard Armitage, while great most of the time, sometimes gets a bit hammy.

This is probably not at all an unpopular opinion but I am grateful for the absence of the talking purse, tra-lally elves, serving animals and talking ravens in these movies. But then I was also happy that Tom Bombadil and the singing eagles were omitted from LotR. Some things that are fine in a book just wouldn’t work on the screen, in my opinion.

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 10 2016, 4:31pm

Post #33 of 39 (455 views)
Shortcut
Thought you might like that one. lol [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 10 2016, 10:07pm

Post #34 of 39 (426 views)
Shortcut
Too true, too true. // [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Feb 14 2016, 10:43am

Post #35 of 39 (372 views)
Shortcut
Exactly this [In reply to] Can't Post

You have said it better than i could myself. What is it people say here? Mods up +1!

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

imin
Valinor

Feb 14 2016, 10:49am

Post #36 of 39 (371 views)
Shortcut
Just disliking the films [In reply to] Can't Post

with some seems to be unpopular. lol

Haven't been on here for ages, hope you are well :)

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

tonyg

Feb 15 2016, 8:45pm

Post #37 of 39 (336 views)
Shortcut
maybe unpopular opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a newbie here, so I would imagine what could be unpopular opinion.
Anyway, I like the whole plot Smaug vs. dwarves, without him they would look as greedy cowards. And the moment with the golden statue is precious. Wink
I like how they presented how 'the madness reigns in the hall of the mountain king'. Armitage nails it.
The moment when Thorin dies is heartbreaking and harmonized (while not exactly the same) with the book.
Legolas vs. Bolg: It is OK for me, but I'd prefer that in the end Beorn appears and kills the orc (one beast kills another). As a presence, Beorn was fine.
The so called romantic subplot doesn’t bother me, even it is more interesting how it reflects on the relationship between Legolas and Thranduil. Yes, I like Tauriel.
Alfrid: absolutely necessary as character, but I thought that he will suffer the original fate of the master of Laketown: dying alone with much gold and no food and friends in the wild. PJ almost did it that way.
I didn’t expect any talking animals because I know that PJ hates that.
And I agree with the rest.Smile

wizzardly
Rohan

Feb 15 2016, 9:19pm

Post #38 of 39 (327 views)
Shortcut
i agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been lurking these boards for awhile, and it seems to me that people who post here are generally in agreement that these are awesome adaptations and are impervious to criticism. Generally speaking of course. There is the occasional naysayer who prefers the story as Tolkien told it.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Feb 15 2016, 9:45pm

Post #39 of 39 (324 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the forum [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I like the whole plot Smaug vs. dwarves, without him they would look as greedy cowards. And the moment with the golden statue is precious. Wink
I like how they presented how 'the madness reigns in the hall of the mountain king'. Armitage nails it.
The moment when Thorin dies is heartbreaking and harmonized (while not exactly the same) with the book.
Legolas vs. Bolg: It is OK for me, but I'd prefer that in the end Beorn appears and kills the orc (one beast kills another). As a presence, Beorn was fine.
The so called romantic subplot doesn’t bother me, even it is more interesting how it reflects on the relationship between Legolas and Thranduil. Yes, I like Tauriel.
Alfrid: absolutely necessary as character, but I thought that he will suffer the original fate of the master of Laketown: dying alone with much gold and no food and friends in the wild. PJ almost did it that way.
I didn’t expect any talking animals because I know that PJ hates that.

I agree 100%

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.