The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOFA EE better or worse?

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Feb 6 2016, 5:56pm

Post #1 of 19 (1705 views)
Shortcut
BOFA EE better or worse? Can't Post

After recently watching the EE for BOFA finally, I have mixed opinions on it for not having character moments but instead more of the battle. Love the war chariot though. But I think the EE made the movie worse in some aspects and better in other aspects.

Overall. Do you think that the BOFA EE made the movie better or worse?

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Feb 6 2016, 6:21pm

Post #2 of 19 (1646 views)
Shortcut
Better [In reply to] Can't Post

It was already good but now it is even better.

In Reply To
I have mixed opinions on it for not having character moments but instead more of the battle.

We did get a lot of new character moments in the EE, and some of them are in the battle. We have Bilbo and Bofur, Thorin and Balin, Bifur, Bofur and Bombur when Bifur is losing his axe, Fili, Kili, Dwalin and Balin on the chariot, Radagast giving his staff to Gandalf, Dain and Thranduil in the battle( both dwarves vs elves and the real battle), Nori, Ori and Bofur throwing an axe, Galadriel in Dol Guldur. There are many new character moments in the EE.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 6 2016, 6:53pm

Post #3 of 19 (1634 views)
Shortcut
Emphatically better in all respects.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I liked it very much in its first version.

And I see plenty of character moments in it, both apart from the battle and while it's happening.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

LSF
Gondor

Feb 6 2016, 6:57pm

Post #4 of 19 (1626 views)
Shortcut
Everything better [In reply to] Can't Post

Character, story, pacing, action...

While I would've liked more with the Company dwarves who are not Thorin/Fili/Kili, what was added makes the movie better.

LSF
Gondor

Feb 6 2016, 6:59pm

Post #5 of 19 (1624 views)
Shortcut
I'm wondering... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm wondering where this idea that character moments can't happen, or don't really count as character moments, during action parts comes from.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 6 2016, 7:00pm

Post #6 of 19 (1623 views)
Shortcut
Michael Bay? [In reply to] Can't Post

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Feb 6 2016, 7:02pm

Post #7 of 19 (1625 views)
Shortcut
Several shades better [In reply to] Can't Post

And, as others have said, much of the added battle scenes *are* character moments. Even when they are not directly (ala the new beginning of the Battle), the additions add weight - and impact all of the characters.

Bilbo: These are dark days.

Bofur: Dark days indeed.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Feb 6 2016, 7:09pm

Post #8 of 19 (1616 views)
Shortcut
Better. [In reply to] Can't Post

Much better.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Feb 6 2016, 7:41pm

Post #9 of 19 (1597 views)
Shortcut
Don't you count Legolas suspended at a bat and killing eighty orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

as a 'character moment' ?

Just to ask. Wink

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Feb 6 2016, 11:03pm

Post #10 of 19 (1538 views)
Shortcut
Overall Better [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the new additions helped the movie. The only thing I felt detracted was how much more graphic the violence was. It felt jarring and disconnected from the more restrained violence in the other films.

Nieriel
Rivendell

Feb 6 2016, 11:22pm

Post #11 of 19 (1520 views)
Shortcut
Immeasurably better// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Our loves are not given, but only lent." Rudyard Kipling

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 7 2016, 3:43am

Post #12 of 19 (1465 views)
Shortcut
Spot-on as usual Dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to see you are still around!

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 7 2016, 8:56am

Post #13 of 19 (1430 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Tis very difficult to get rid of mice! Wink

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Noria
Gondor

Feb 7 2016, 2:15pm

Post #14 of 19 (1396 views)
Shortcut
Much better [In reply to] Can't Post

As I've said before, the EE is the version that, in my opinion, we should have seen in the theatre.

I agree that there can be and are character moments in action and battle sequences.

I could have done without Alfrid's death though - him just disappearing worked for me.

bumbaroo_1

Feb 9 2016, 6:16pm

Post #15 of 19 (1224 views)
Shortcut
available on DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

Are the extended editions of the films available on DVD?

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 10 2016, 2:36pm

Post #16 of 19 (1170 views)
Shortcut

I think things are paced and feel more fleshed out in the EE as compared to the TE.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Feb 11 2016, 4:33am

Post #17 of 19 (1121 views)
Shortcut
For me, I think it helped even out the film and improved the viewing experience. [In reply to] Can't Post

tonyg

Feb 15 2016, 9:06pm

Post #18 of 19 (955 views)
Shortcut
as all the eextended editions [In reply to] Can't Post

Improved the things. I would prefer some of the scenes in a different way, but anyway.
After all, I was waiting six months to see how the dwarves say goodbye to the heirs of Durin and also to see the coronation.

QuiteALittleFellow

Feb 23 2016, 6:01am

Post #19 of 19 (819 views)
Shortcut

I still have a lot of issues with the film in general (wereworms, 'good' armies being too SMALL in my view, just for some examples), BUT I think the added things were good. It improved things overall, though I'd still wish they added more character moments, some things they filmed, even show in the appendices, but aren't in the final film.

I wish they had Beorn defending Thorin, carrying him off, for example, and Beorn was given more to do in general. I am thankful there wasn't more Tauriel/Kili, but I wish Fili and Kili had some more moments between each other, especially Fili whose death I still feel was so quick, that there was no time to really take it in whereas Kili gets a slow motion death, only due to the romantic angle.

That's one rant, but I think all the EE's improved the films in general, and this is no exception.

"You're only quite a little fellow, in a wide world after all."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.