Who did look at LOTR during The Hobbit years
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Feb 5 2016, 10:35am

Post #101 of 106 (515 views)
Shortcut
Let time do its office [In reply to] Can't Post

It took ten years before "They send the Hobbits to Isengard" became a meme.
Who could have anticipated that ? Nobody knew then what a meme was.

Who knows what will be the future to sentences like :

"Why does it hurt so much ?
-Because it was real."

(Perfect brother's fighting conclusion. I feel some meme-potential there.)

Idem for 'Leave Sauron to Meee',

And for some sentences by Beorn :

"There used to be many, now I'm alone"

"I don't like Dwaaarves, they are Greeeedy"

(I fairly imagine some pretty girlfriends using that one at the wallet moment) Tongue

Some from Balin :
"I'm-too-old-for-that-stuff" (shaking)

And some others :

"Hmm.. Made in Gondolin"

"That'll make it."

And who can forget the already famous :

"I could have anything in my trousers" Cool

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Feb 5 2016, 9:20pm

Post #102 of 106 (470 views)
Shortcut
I constantly re-watch LOTR as well as the special features. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't see any reason why I won't continue to watch LOTR and the special features multiple times every year. I always mix it up. Sometimes I watch FOTR, then FOTR features, then TT......Sometimes I watch the special features first, then the movies. Either way, I will continue to watch these films 2-4 times every year for the rest of my life.

I have gotten to the point where they will never, EVER spoil. If I watch them too frequently I admit that the "magic" and "goosebump moments" aren't always there. If I wait longer, then it does tend to feel more nostalgic.

For The Hobbit, I'm slowly warming up to them. It will take at least 6-7 years of continually watching AUJ->DOS->BOTFA in a row along with the special features and soundtracks to fully get the feel for them. I think in ten years or so I can look at all six of them as one continuous story line meshed together.

Granted I was 13 when I saw ROTK in theaters, it wasn't until about 2007-08 where I really took hold of the LOTR movie franchise, with the special features, extended editions, soundtrack, etc..

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

HeadingSouth
Bree

Feb 5 2016, 9:52pm

Post #103 of 106 (457 views)
Shortcut
To be honest, [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't even remember half of those lines now, not to mention in ten years time.

imin
Valinor

Feb 5 2016, 11:19pm

Post #104 of 106 (448 views)
Shortcut
Yes i have watched again LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Straight after AUJ i watched FOTR and even though i think AUJ is the best of the three, it still made me realise how good the LOTR movies, specifically FOTR was. For me there were so many things wrong visually with The Hobbit movies that it was hard to look past them. I know RA is loved here but for me he looked nothing like how he should and secondly i think he looked worse than i imagined so that kinda ruined it for me, plus too much of him and too little Bilbo. I also disliked the amount the story was changed, where as i felt this was harder to notice in LOTR as although things were streamlined, things weren't added really so that for me makes a difference.

Overall i don't watch LOTR every year but i will watch it if it comes on TV especially if it is FOTR. For DOS i went to see it at the cinema, haven't bought dvd/blu ray and TABA or whatever it is i watched once i think and have no desire to buy either of them or watch again. As far as i am concerned they are bad adaptations and overall poor films which i won't be watching again for ages/if ever.

There has been for me, so many years since LOTR were released and as such i have seen many many films in that time so my overall view of the LOTR films has gone down as i previously thought they were the best things ever and now i simply really like them. But in comparison solely with the hobbit movies, they seem better, no competition, but if others feel differently then good for them i don't care either way. Ultimately the best for me is the hobbit and lord of the rings books.

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

aragorn2015
The Shire

Feb 7 2016, 7:13am

Post #105 of 106 (385 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love both trilogies and watch them all the time! I do prefer LOTR though mostly because the story is more captivating, the overall tone is more consistant and I liked the majority of characters (wheras the Hobbit I only liked half and didn't care for the rest)

One thing I noticed in my last maration was how much the Hobbit Trilogy adds to FOTR. All those little easter eggs and references to the Hobbit book have much more meaning now that we've witnessed their history on screen along with Bilbo, Gandalf and Galadriel.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Feb 7 2016, 11:02am

Post #106 of 106 (371 views)
Shortcut
I'm amazed at how "LotR" has been enhanced by "The Hobbit" [In reply to] Can't Post

There were the obvious moments that I realized would gain weight as the new trilogy was released, but I have experienced so many more that completely took me by surprise.

Just one example: when Saruman begins discussing with Gandalf how the power of Sauron has been increasing and says, "You know of what I speak. A great eye, lidless, wreathed in flame."

In this seemingly random (regarding "The Hobbit") moment, my mind lights up and I think, "Of course Gandalf does! They saw this very image together 60 years ago!"

Uncanny how this has worked.

Bilbo: These are dark days.

Bofur: Dark days indeed.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.