A crazy petition and a crazy script?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

NManfredi
Rivendell

Jan 29 2016, 10:12pm

Post #1 of 76 (1860 views)
Shortcut
A crazy petition and a crazy script? Can't Post

Hi all! I'm really glad I've made myself the time to write again. I've missed you all –especially the good, sensible conversations I have had the pleasure to share!–, and that's why I want to propose something to all of you –yes, I mean TO ALL.

The thing goes like this: I've read some of the other posts and I agree with most people that it would be better if ME was moving forward –not backwards–. With this, I'm trying to say that while I would surely watch a reboot of both The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, I would prefer a movie, series of movies or even TV series that told the other stories that Tolkien wrote and which haven't made it either to the big or to the small screen –for example, the stories Tolkien wrote about Aragorn.

So my proposal is this: to write a petition to WB, New Line –or whomever you think would be nice if he/she was involved in the project– for them to make a movie based on Aragorn within PJ's ME movies. The best way to do this, imo, is to write a petition with an early script attached, to show people that there is still material from which to make a movie –or something else.

What say you? Are you in? If you like the idea, here's the funny part: we would all have to help each other in making that early script. Today, I had a little extra time and I already started writing it. (see the file below! And please don't cry over the inaccuracies!) But first, I would like to know what you think of this idea, and whether you think it can carried out.

As far as I know, the story would cover Aragorn's early beginnings –when he is a small brat living with Elrond–; his first meeting with Arwen; his first steps as a ranger; how he gets to know both Legolas and Thranduil, which would be great; as well as, of course, the sons of Elrond, Elladan and Elrohir, and the Dúnedain; and also his great deeds as "Thorongil" at the service of both Gondor and Rohan. Pretty awesome, don't you think?

I wish to hear from all of you! Cheers!

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"

(This post was edited by NManfredi on Jan 29 2016, 10:16pm)
Attachments: Thorongil, the Dúnedain.txt (1.77 KB)

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 30 2016, 1:48am

Post #2 of 76 (1717 views)
Shortcut
WB is already aware of potential for a bridge movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

As well as a reimagining of The Silmarillion, clinging loosely to what rights they have.

But with the declining interest in the franchise, a future installment would be too much of a risk. I think a reboot is more likely at this point.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2016, 10:52am

Post #3 of 76 (1655 views)
Shortcut
not at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure they are going to wait to see what happens with the rights before even thinking o a reboot.

With a superbox set yet to come, I dont think they will be doing what you stated, IMO.

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to The Battle for the Fifth Trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

There and Back Again Traveller

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 30 2016, 11:32am

Post #4 of 76 (1647 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I think it will be a while... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I doubt those rights are going to budge without spending much more than they can make.

I think they'll see how sales go for the box-sets and UHD versions and if the interest isn't there then in a few years they'll start rebooting. It seems the done thing these days, looking at Spider-man and Narnia, Ghostbusters and many others.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2016, 12:10pm

Post #5 of 76 (1641 views)
Shortcut
None of those movies [In reply to] Can't Post

Are of the same quality and social impact as LOTR movies. Rebooting is not that easy in this case

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to The Battle for the Fifth Trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

There and Back Again Traveller

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2016, 3:33pm

Post #6 of 76 (1599 views)
Shortcut
you think Estel a brat? [In reply to] Can't Post

- good luck with your notion for new films.

NManfredi
Rivendell

Jan 30 2016, 6:06pm

Post #7 of 76 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, I didn't understand your post [In reply to] Can't Post

When Aragorn was 2 years old his father died and was adopted by Elrond. Then when he was 20, Elrond told him the truth about his father and ancestry and he revealed him his true name, thus he stopped calling him Estel. Buy anyway my proposal was to make a script joining everyone together to make a coherent, redeable piece. I'm not saying that exactly what I wrote should be turned into a movie. I think it would be a fun idea if we did this.

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"

NManfredi
Rivendell

Jan 30 2016, 6:23pm

Post #8 of 76 (1556 views)
Shortcut
I don't think there's a declining interest in the franchise [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ was the second best selling home video item of 2013 in the US according to thenumbers.com, and DOS was the 3rd best selling home video item of 2014. True, these movies didn't do terrific at the cinema but there's certainly an audience out there for ME movies.

What is even more telling is that they keep selling. AUJ has made around 120 m dls and DOS around 102 m dls in home video. True, the last installment, BOFA, wasn't as popular, selling 70 m dls in 2015 at present, but I think these numbers still show there's an audience craving for ME movies. Besides, there are huge blockbusters like Guardians of the Galaxy that came out in 2014 and have sold more or less the same as AUJ. There are even blockbusters from 2013 that have sold less than AUJ or DOS in home video. So I wouldn't say interest is declining. That's my opinion, at least.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 30 2016, 6:48pm

Post #9 of 76 (1545 views)
Shortcut
The word brat [In reply to] Can't Post

is generally regarded as an insult (at least where I come from it is).
It is used to describe a child who is naughty / rude / spoiled / disrespectful etc.
I think maybe that is what the other poster was referring to but I am happy to be corrected.

NManfredi
Rivendell

Jan 30 2016, 6:54pm

Post #10 of 76 (1537 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it was wrong to write that [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't say that Aragorn was a brat either. If that was the case then of course that word has to go.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2016, 6:55pm

Post #11 of 76 (1536 views)
Shortcut
yep - [In reply to] Can't Post

- where I come from, brat is an insult.

NManfredi
Rivendell

Jan 30 2016, 7:18pm

Post #12 of 76 (1532 views)
Shortcut
My mistake, then [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't use that word to describe Aragorn at all. I didn't remember it had that connotation.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 30 2016, 7:33pm

Post #13 of 76 (1518 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and no. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been a strong proponent for an Aragorn coming-of-age movie for a long time. I see it as covering the period from his birth to when he and Arwen plight their troth in Lothlórien, with special emphasis on the period of his great journeys and errantries. However, I do not wish to support a petition on the subject. But good luck!

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

NManfredi
Rivendell

Jan 30 2016, 7:53pm

Post #14 of 76 (1507 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not have a clear view of what might come out of this. But if more people would like this idea, specially the one about writing a script or something of the sort, I might start a petition for this.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 30 2016, 8:39pm

Post #15 of 76 (1493 views)
Shortcut
Script notes [In reply to] Can't Post

First, your script is a pain to read because it reproduces much, much too wide. I am not going to scroll endlessly to the right in order to view it.

If we are using Peter Jackson's film-continuity then seventeen years before the Quest of Erebor would probably make Aragorn/Estel eight (or perhaps nine) years old.*

The day-to-day language of Imladris would be Sindarin. Elrond would probably only be using Quenya if he was actually giving Estel a lesson in learning it.

* Based on my assumption that Aragorn turned eighty-seven in 3002 and that the march to Helm's Deep took place after his birthday of March 1. We might suppose that Jackson had the Fellowship leave Rivendell earlier which could put the Battle of Helm's Deep earlier in the year.

In the continuity of the films, seventeen years before the Quest of Erebor (2940) would be the year 2923.

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 30 2016, 8:44pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 30 2016, 9:42pm

Post #16 of 76 (1472 views)
Shortcut
I'm not saying there's no audience/no interest... [In reply to] Can't Post

But even the stats you shared showed a decline in interest. Of course AUJ was a hit, LotR was huge and people wanted The Hobbit for years. But if you were to put the reception trends on a graph, there would be an increasingly steep downward slope.

Or course, a good Silmarillion movie could bring numbers back up, but as far as a studio is concerned that would probably be considered too much of a risk- for something that would likely cost millions just in movie rights. A spin-off would be similar. It could be a huge risk to spend a big budget unless they had a concept that was strong enough to guarantee significant profit.

A reboot, on the other hand, is a much safer bet. These are very popular books and PJ left out enough material for a reboot to take a completely different perspective and tone on the story - especially a TV series. I don't think quality or social impact has anything to do with it. Movies don't get bigger than Star Wars and the new one is effectively a "soft-reboot" as is Jurrassic World and the new Star Treks. It would be very difficult to soft-reboot LotR, it being based on a book, but remaking it is not somehow out of the question simply because of its popularity or critical success.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jan 30 2016, 9:43pm)

NManfredi
Rivendell

Jan 31 2016, 12:01am

Post #17 of 76 (1441 views)
Shortcut
I agree with what you've said [In reply to] Can't Post

But personally I would love to see something bigger than LOTR. My ideal scenerio would be a TV deries that start years, even decades before the War of the Ring, extensively using Tolkien's Appendices and other works and showing eveeything: The creation of the White Council, Dol Guldur plot, the disolution of the Council, Saruman going to Orthanc, Gollum out on the wild, the hunt for Gollum, Aragorn's erranties and, of course, the entire plot of the War of the Ring, showing Lorien Elves fighting Khamul at Dol Guldur and Galadriel bringing it down. Add to that the Quest of the Ring and you have an awesome TV series.

On the other hand, right now I would love to see a movie about Aragorn coming of age. I believe it can be quite good.

NManfredi
Rivendell

Jan 31 2016, 12:09am

Post #18 of 76 (1437 views)
Shortcut
You are quite right! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I apologize for the script. I know it's far too schematic and it covers too much. It was intended to be something really early that those who have the will and would like to help could use and improve (especially improve). Basically I tried to establish an initial scene where Elrond would be teaching Estel, and other Elves, the history of the world -as told by the Eldar-, and when he would ask about the Men of Old Elrond would keep quite, and tell him that that's a story for another day. That would be the first scene of what, of course, is no more than a humble approach of someone who occassionaly writes.

And thank you about those notes! They are really helpful.

Gianna
Rohan

Feb 1 2016, 2:42am

Post #19 of 76 (1258 views)
Shortcut
I think attaching a basic script to such a petition is a good idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Both to show that there is enough material, and to show that we're really serious about this. I would support the petition.

I would like to say that I can help with the writing of the script but I'm no good at brainstorming for filler. (I realised this when I tried to write a script, for fun, from the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen, and had to leave huge gaps because I couldn't figure out what could come between what Tolkien wrote. Crazy) I would be willing to write up a couple scenes from ideas that others provide - I just don't want to commit to overly much at this time because my life has been crazy busy!

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website
My LOTR-inspired fantasy novel is on Amazon

Nieriel
Rivendell

Feb 1 2016, 4:45am

Post #20 of 76 (1238 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Gianna [In reply to] Can't Post

and think the script is a good idea - I'd help out if needed.
As others have said there is mileage in Aragorn's story and a great movie in there too.

"Our loves are not given, but only lent." Rudyard Kipling

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2016, 8:15am

Post #21 of 76 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Been there, done that... [In reply to] Can't Post

About 7 or 8 years ago a group of us on the old New Line Hobbit Blog put our heads together on what the original Bridge film might contain and came up with this script.

If any of the ideas in it are of interest/use then feel free to adapt them for new purpose!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Feb 1 2016, 2:14pm

Post #22 of 76 (1190 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I just simply don't understand how anyone can say it's a "risk" to make another ME film. The Hobbit Trilogy almost made $3 billion dollars! $3 billion!!!

These movies were and are widely popular among the casual fans and made gobs of money in the theater and home dvds and blu rays.

If anything I would think that Warner Bros is chomping at the bit for another Middle Earth film.

Yes, they need a good idea. But I know people would go, and they would EASILY make more money than what they put into it. There is no possible way they would come out in the red.

That's just my opinion, though.

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

(This post was edited by Misty Mountain Hop on Feb 1 2016, 2:15pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 1 2016, 2:50pm

Post #23 of 76 (1185 views)
Shortcut
Still by far the best effort of its type that I have seen [In reply to] Can't Post

Or am likely to see.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 1 2016, 3:35pm

Post #24 of 76 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Script? or outline? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think attaching a basic script to such a petition is a good idea...

What a typical Hollywood pitch might have is a rough outline for such a film rather than a draft of a screenplay. This should cover the general plot and major story beats and the main characters of the film as well as their motivations.

- Dream of the Endless

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 1 2016, 3:42pm

Post #25 of 76 (1164 views)
Shortcut
D'you know what.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to see that film. I know I never will, but it was fun just reading it - so many pictures in the mind.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.