The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
How many Balrogs is there?

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 30 2016, 10:42pm

Post #1 of 5 (617 views)
Shortcut
How many Balrogs is there? Can't Post

Well i know Tolkien wrote they where pretty many bc Ecthelion himself killed 3 + Ghotmog and stuff i know Tuor, Feanor, Gandalf and Glorfindel also killed Balrog, but i Heard that christofer Tolkien said it where only 7 or 9. But is what christofer says really cannon if Tolkien said something other. If it is then christofer could rewrite gandalf as a fat badger yellow badger that like hugs. I Heard someone said Tolkiens kids can not just add new things about the other dwarf lords and stuff. So i there really 7/9 or is it mroe like 50 , i bet there is some dying in the battles by regular warriors, plu, Glorfindel took one, Gandalf one, Ecthelion took 4, Tuor 5, and Feanor slaid some in his last stand. So sorry for bad English btw.

hanne
Lorien

Jan 31 2016, 1:39am

Post #2 of 5 (594 views)
Shortcut
the number kept changing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Konrad S, sador wrote a great answer to this - because Prof. Tolkien kept changing his mind, it depends what you read and when he wrote it.

Don't worry about the English; the more you write the better you will get!

Elthir
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2016, 2:59am

Post #3 of 5 (590 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Tolkien did not invent Tolkien's note [In reply to] Can't Post

As you can see from the linked thread. I'm not sure Tolkien changed his mind that many times...

... but originally (in an external sense, not in story) there were very many Balrogs, but they were easier to slay and not Maiar (especially in The Book of Lost Tales)...

Tolkien held on to the idea of many Balrogs for decades, it seems...

... but then there is at least one note added to a text dated 1958-ish, where Tolkien notes that it should not be imagined that more than three Balrogs, or at most seven, ever existed...

... JRRT then made a revision to one of the references which suggested very many Balrogs, but he did not, for whatever reason or reasons, revise every existing reference to many Balrogs.

When Christopher Tolkien edited the Silmarillion for its publication in 1977, he altered some wording so that Balrog numbers were basically left obscure.

The textual matter is more complicated than this, but that's the quick version.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Jan 31 2016, 3:05am)

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 31 2016, 7:27am

Post #4 of 5 (574 views)
Shortcut
Then i think there is many balrogs like the orginal [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Elthir
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2016, 2:33pm

Post #5 of 5 (558 views)
Shortcut
Possibly, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... some folks seem to think that the note (no more than 3 or 7) is Tolkien's known last word on the subject, and as there are plenty of other things Tolkien never got around to updating, the argument goes that he just didn't get around to fully updating Quenta Silmarillion with this later idea in mind.

And as with the "who originally owned Orcist" question, again, for myself I would find it a bit dubious to consider The Book of Lost Tales version of The Fall of Gondolin (long prose version) as the best guide here... if I recall correctly, in his commentary to the early Fall of Gondolin even Christopher Tolkien notes how (relatively) easy early Balrogs are to slay, and we know that they were not Maiar at this time.

I'm also not convinced that Tolkien was going to land on a specific number for Quenta Silmarillion. His late-ish note suggests that he might, but that's a marginal note... and not surprisingly his actual revision to the text in question was to simply change "host" of Balrogs (implying many) to "his" Balrogs, which leaves the matter vague.

This is basically what Christopher Tolkien did for the constructed Silmarillion, following in his father's footsteps in my opinion, although he left the War of Wrath reference essentially as it was, I think because it was somewhat vague already.

In my opinion Christopher Tolkien appears to be taking the middle-ground here, conjuring a mist so that the reader cannot count Balrogs.

Or something Smile

(This post was edited by Elthir on Jan 31 2016, 2:40pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.