The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why Galadriel became weak...

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 29 2016, 9:10pm

Post #1 of 8 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Why Galadriel became weak... Can't Post

I'm not sure if the movie made this very obvious to everyone else and I'm not sure if this is just a theory I've made up. But the way I see Dol Guldur is like this...

After Isildur cuts off the Ring, Sauron loses his physical form, but his soul, although weak, remains tied to the One Ring. And the One Ring directly influences the other Rings of Power.

Sauron then begins to collect the Rings of Power in order to build his strength. He raises the Nine and begins collecting the Seven, to drain their power and regain his strength.

After Sauron captured Thrain he has all nine and what remains of the seven, and is powerful enough to make his first move, but Gandalf turns up to force his hand early.

As Gandalf is captured he [Gandalf] begins to lose his power, because Sauron is draining his power through his ring.

When Galadriel picks up Gandalf, her power also begins to drain through Gandalf. She tells Radagast to get him away because "his power is being drained" and you can see as she grabs his hand that her power is also being leeched through contact with Gandalf.

When she lets go she manages to muster enough strength, to grab the vial and cast Sauron out before collapsing.

I just wanted to ask if I got all of that right? It's quite different from book lore, particularly considering the three were hidden from Sauron and are not under his influence.

It seems to me that this concept of power-draining only became fully apparent to me after seeing the Extended Edition (which I finally watched for the first time today). The TE I didn't really understand what was supposed to be going on. Unsure Just me?

LSF
Gondor

Jan 29 2016, 9:37pm

Post #2 of 8 (979 views)
Shortcut
That all makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

But the most obvious reason for me was that she was transferring her strength to wake him up and heal him. Though that idea does work within yours.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2016, 10:58am

Post #3 of 8 (898 views)
Shortcut
She goes weak [In reply to] Can't Post

because she spents HER energy, Saruman says so. Spend is not the same as lose or to get it dreined.

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to The Battle for the Fifth Trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

There and Back Again Traveller

AshNazg
Gondor

Jan 30 2016, 11:49am

Post #4 of 8 (892 views)
Shortcut
But the way I see it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially in the shot where she grabs Gandalf's hand, it's fairly clear that the contact is draining her - possibly because she's trying to heal him - But she does say "Get him away from here, it's draining his life" and I think she feels that.

I think there is something missing in this scene. She seems perfectly strong when talking to Gandalf "He is here" "Yes, the darkness has returned.." and then the camera changes and they are both lying on the floor completely drained. Something was cut.

The weak Galadriel then spends what's left of her energy on turning into nuclear Galadriel. - which is what Saruman is referring to - But she was apparently becoming weak before she used that power.

Also note that Sauron does not appear until Elrond makes contact with Galadriel, and then Elrond also begins to fall to the floor. I think something may have been cut that was to imply energy being drained or transferred between ringbearers. But it didn't work out. Perhaps the Palantir was involved or something.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jan 30 2016, 11:51am)

LSF
Gondor

Jan 30 2016, 4:18pm

Post #5 of 8 (868 views)
Shortcut
Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw that as him conforting her, not as a power transfer that somehow called sauron, then elrond being overwhelmed by the dark galadriel swith/presence. Especially since saruman reacts to it too, by stumbling back and raising his hand to his face.

Even though we know DG was heavily reworked/edited from what was shot, nothing feels like it was an obvious cut or is missing for me.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 30 2016, 7:35pm

Post #6 of 8 (823 views)
Shortcut
I don't see it. [In reply to] Can't Post

If Sauron was draining Gandalf's life-force through his Elven Ring then he could have done the same to Galadriel and Elrond with no need for either to be in contact with the Wizard. All three bore Rings.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Iarhen
The Shire

Feb 1 2016, 5:31pm

Post #7 of 8 (690 views)
Shortcut
My take is... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the original script, as far as I can recollect, Sauron was going to confront Galadriel directly right after Gandalf is transported to safety by Radagast.
As you may remember, her eyes glow white when she uses a commanding voice to order Radagast to "Go!". I suppose that right after this, Sauron was going to appear and tempt her with power and dominion over Middle Earth. As you may remember, Cate Blanchett mentions that she is truly moved by Sauron's offer, but that only the strength and finesse of her spirit prevents her from accepting Sauron; the struggle is real, she is drained (she even speaks in Black Speech with Sauron).
My guess is that after this confrontation, Galadriel is drained and all she has to fight Sauron at the end of that scene is her nuclear/darker self...

"You have no power here, servant of Morgoth! You are nameless! Faceless! Formless! Go back to the Void from whence you came!"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 7 2016, 7:44am

Post #8 of 8 (548 views)
Shortcut
GREAT Nuisances!..Gleaned from a.. [In reply to] Can't Post

From a.a.a.a,a,
Truncated
Scene

ALL around... CHEERSzz!.!.!

from
the OLD FOREST
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.