The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien Anthology Films

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Jan 16 2016, 5:40pm

Post #1 of 18 (2187 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Anthology Films Can't Post

For those of you who don't know, the Star Wars franchise is making spinoff films on characters and events that happened in the past. They're calling them Anthology films. The first one is ROGUE ONE and then there will be a HAN SOLO movie.

So there was a post earlier saying will this film franchise ever have more films. So it seems interesting to have spinoff "Anthology" films to the Tolkien world.

1.) Which character or event would you like to have an anthology film.
2.) What would the story be?
3.) What time period is it taking place in Middle Earth.

Bonus- what would you think the film be rated? (you don't have to answer this one if you want)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 16 2016, 9:39pm

Post #2 of 18 (2089 views)
Shortcut
A True Anthology! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, if we disregard the issue of movie rights then I vote for a true anthology film in the format of the animated television movies produced by Rankin/Bass. Actually, if there is a project that might earn the approval of the Tolkien Estate, this could be it:

The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
based on the collection of verses by J.R.R. Tolkien

1) A diverse collection, not all of which are strictly set in Middle-earth. It might be rounded-out with the story "Farmer Giles of Ham" and/or "Smith of Wootten Major".
2) Perhaps Samwise Gamgee could tie the stories and verses together as narrator, reciting them to his children.
3) The framing device of the narrator might be set in the early years of the Fourth Age.

And for a more conventional approach:

The Eagle of the Star (title borrowed from someone else)
The Journeys and Errantries of Aragorn

1) Aragorn son of Arathorn
2) The coming-of-age story of Aragorn II, from his birth, through his early journeys and adventures, culminating with Aragorn and Arwen plighting their troth in Lothlórien.
3) The late Third Age, but still decades before the War of the Ring. If this is in Peter Jackson's film-continuity then dates would have to be adjusted to fit.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 16 2016, 9:44pm)

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 16 2016, 10:08pm

Post #3 of 18 (2071 views)
Shortcut
Well ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ideally (for me) Maeglin, his arrival at Gondolin with his mother, who had left the city mysteriously years earlier, leading to his bitter unrequited love for his cousin Idril and her marriage to Tuor, his capture by Morgoth (his relationship to Sauron could be emphasized) and his role in the fall of Gondolin. I feel this story has all the elements a good story needs, love, hate, revenge, betrayal and good battle. It would also give a chance for a Tolkien lady to shine, Idril is a major player in this First Age story, as she appears to have the measure of Maeglin quite early on. However Maeglin, as fascinating as I find him, isn't a proper spin-off character sooo it would have to be Morgoth's relationship with Sauron that was the 'link', however tenuous. If this wasn't possible I'd have to go for Otaku-sempai's idea of Aragorn's back story, which I feel would make an amazing film.

"His words were few save in matters that touched him near, and then his voice had a power to move those that heard him and to overthrow those that withstood him." - Maeglin - The Silmarillion

(This post was edited by Nieriel on Jan 16 2016, 10:20pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 16 2016, 11:05pm

Post #4 of 18 (2048 views)
Shortcut
Over-title? [In reply to] Can't Post

Should there be an over-all title that encompasses all past and future Middle-earth films that share the same in-house continuity?
How 'bout, Chronicles of Middle-earth?

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 16 2016, 11:07pm)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Jan 20 2016, 8:22am

Post #5 of 18 (1796 views)
Shortcut
I'd be happy with a Chronicles of Middle-Earth movie series. [In reply to] Can't Post

First, though, I'd want a War in the North movie or two, while the necessary actors are still available.

Part of the problem the earlier Middle-Earth movies had were that they required massive budgets and were sometimes a bit handicapped by the source material (13 Dwarves, anyone? And walking. Lots and lots of walking...).

Writers will now have a bit more freedom which can work to the franchise's advantage. They also won't have to worry about a fan backlash for including (or not including) certain characters or events. (Poor Peter never stood a chance. There was no way he could have pleased everyone.) .

Newer movies don't have to have a cast of thousands, or encompass the fate of Middle-Earth. They can be simple war stories, set during the War of the Ring, or horror amongst the Barrow-Wights. We can even get political intrigue during the time of Arvedui.

With some good writers and decent directors, Middle-Earth can be a goldmine.

Of course, some will argue these movies are not necessary.

Personally, I say 'Bring it on.'.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 20 2016, 3:02pm

Post #6 of 18 (1785 views)
Shortcut
Not necessary, no... [In reply to] Can't Post

None of these films would be strictly necessary. And, other than remaking The Hobbit[/I or The Lord of the Rings, they would be adaptations in only the broadest sense. Because they would have to be highly interpretive, there is always the risk of backlash from the book-readers.

Frankly, unless you were remaking LotR, I'm not sure what story you could tell as a film that would include the Barrow-wights. And if you wanted a "Young Aragorn" film to be set within the continuity of the previous films then you would need that to go into production fairly soon as well to use Cate Blanchett, Ian McKellen, Orlando Bloom, or any other actors from the previous films. And Aragorn, at least, would still need to be recast.

- Dream of the Endless

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2016, 5:34pm

Post #7 of 18 (1770 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see [In reply to] Can't Post

how the Shire was settled and the stories of all those old Tooks, Brandybucks, Gamgees, Bagginsessss, (and so on) all came about :)

Was the Old Forest more aware and alive and put up a fight when the hobbits started showing up? Did the Ents watch them as they crossed the River? When did Gandalf really first notice the hobbits? And Tom Bombadil... was he getting encroached upon? Was he in cahoots with the Old Forest for setting up a perimeter? So much to consider!!!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 20 2016, 5:50pm

Post #8 of 18 (1768 views)
Shortcut
I'd go for [In reply to] Can't Post

the seduction of the nine Kings by Sauron, the creation of the Witch-King of Angmar, destruction of the North and the creation of the Barrow-downs.

It'd almost entirely come out of whole cloth, but Tolkien wrote so little of this story and it's the one I'd really like to know more about.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dreamflower
Lorien

Jan 20 2016, 9:58pm

Post #9 of 18 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love more about the Shire!

According to Unfinished Tales, Gandalf met and befriended the hobbits of the Shire in the Long Winter. (TA 2789 in the ToY).

I would love to see one about the friendship of Gandalf with the Tooks and the help he rendered the Shire during the Long Winter, and possibly up to the Fell Winter as well.

I would also love to see one about Frodo, and his life growing up, both in Buckland and then in Bag End after Bilbo takes him on.

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 20 2016, 10:41pm

Post #10 of 18 (1736 views)
Shortcut
Ents [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Did the Ents watch them as they crossed the River?

I would have to say 'no' as Treebeard had never heard of Hobbits before meeting Merry and Pippin.

- Dream of the Endless

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 21 2016, 1:44am

Post #11 of 18 (1727 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh... [In reply to] Can't Post

but Sam's Cousin Hal thought he saw a Giant Tree-man in the Northfarthing! That's way before Merry and Pippin met Treebeard. Makes me scratch my head, fersher ;)

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 21 2016, 2:20am

Post #12 of 18 (1729 views)
Shortcut
Tree-man [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but Sam's Cousin Hal thought he saw a Giant Tree-man in the Northfarthing! That's way before Merry and Pippin met Treebeard. Makes me scratch my head, fersher ;)

I always interpreted that as a giant, ogre or troll the size of a tree.

- Dream of the Endless

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 21 2016, 3:34am

Post #13 of 18 (1718 views)
Shortcut
The Tale of Beren and Lúthien [In reply to] Can't Post

would make an epic film too. Naturally there would have to be some back story about why the Silmarillions were so revered and ultimately desirable, but that's just a side issue Smile Admittedly Huan would probably have to be CGI but he could be so majestic.

"His words were few save in matters that touched him near, and then his voice had a power to move those that heard him and to overthrow those that withstood him." - Maeglin - The Silmarillion

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 21 2016, 5:12am

Post #14 of 18 (1712 views)
Shortcut
of course I mean the Silmarils and not what I wrote [In reply to] Can't Post

in my post up there ^^ its been a long day! Sorry! Crazy

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 21 2016, 3:01pm

Post #15 of 18 (1683 views)
Shortcut
Just blame autocorrect; that's what I do. [In reply to] Can't Post

And we'll all assume you must be really cool to have such a nerdy autocorrect program.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 4 2016, 10:34pm

Post #16 of 18 (1388 views)
Shortcut
Here's what I'd like to see [In reply to] Can't Post

Beren and Luthien, The Children of Hurin, and The Fall of Gondolin made into films, if not the entire Silmarillion. There would need to be some backstory about the Silmarils, but maybe we don't need flashbacks, Robert Shaw was able to narrate a thrilling tale of survival on the USS Indianapolis in Jaws with only his voice and John Williams' music.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Feb 6 2016, 8:44pm

Post #17 of 18 (1363 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

I always interpreted that as a giant, ogre or troll the size of a tree.

It's entirely plausible for hobbits -- who specialize in not being noticed -- to have seen Ents without Ents taking notice of them. There were clearly legends of tree herders in The Shire long before Merry and Pippin met Treebeard (Merry's reaction to Treebeard being the primary example). I always read that passage as Hal having seen -- perhaps a bit dimly -- an Ent but not being entirely sure what he saw.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 6 2016, 9:08pm

Post #18 of 18 (1356 views)
Shortcut
Plenty of room for doubt. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's entirely plausible for hobbits -- who specialize in not being noticed -- to have seen Ents without Ents taking notice of them. There were clearly legends of tree herders in The Shire long before Merry and Pippin met Treebeard (Merry's reaction to Treebeard being the primary example). I always read that passage as Hal having seen -- perhaps a bit dimly -- an Ent but not being entirely sure what he saw.

Hal's giant on the North Moors is called by Sam a 'Tree-man', but the only comparison to a tree that is made is based on height: "...as big as an elm tree, and walking...seven yards to a stride, if it was an inch." And Tolkien didn't invent the Ents until much later in the development of the story as well as the question of where such an Ent would have come from? And where would it have been going to? It's not impossible that one or more Ents might have inhabited the Old Forest, but a sighting of some other giant humanoid come down from the Evendim Hills just seems more likely.

- Dream of the Endless

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.