Gorgeous Sunday Thorin (and Gandalf) art - new DA artist
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 10 2016, 6:45pm

Post #1 of 36 (3447 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous Sunday Thorin (and Gandalf) art - new DA artist Can't Post

My reward for PROCRASTINATIONCoolAngelicEvil instead of getting chores going...love it when a "new" artist pops up on Deviant Art. At least, this artist shawnfox520 seems to have joined recently. Seems to do mostly animated characters, but:
http://shawnfox520.deviantart.com/...akenshield-582338724

*THUD* HeartHeartHeart OMG!!!!!! Beautiful IMO.

And:
http://shawnfox520.deviantart.com/...it-Gandalf-582526788

and even:

SmileSmileSmile

Kim
Valinor

Jan 10 2016, 7:58pm

Post #2 of 36 (3372 views)
Shortcut
Wow, those are great, thanks for sharing! [In reply to] Can't Post

As for the chores, those can wait when there are much more important things to do. Cool

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jan 10 2016, 10:10pm

Post #3 of 36 (3362 views)
Shortcut
Nice... [In reply to] Can't Post

I may have to "favor" all of those, since I quite like the Peter Jackson one. The artist really seemed to capture his likeness (and of Thorin and Gandalf as well), but unlike you, no picture of Thorin makes me faint (I'm not that obsessed); stories maybe, but not pictures (though it really depends on the picture). I tend to procrastinate too (especially with chores), especially when one of my many fandoms is continuing (like Star Wars for example; going to The Force Awakens for the third time today; let's see if I can outdo my record, with DoS still on top with eleven viewings in theaters, followed by both AUJ and Jurassic World tied at ten).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Sarahbor
Lorien

Jan 11 2016, 4:05am

Post #4 of 36 (3351 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful artwork! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL at the PJ one. I'm reminded of a spoof portrait of PJ that someone photoshopped in the style of the BOFA character posters (with the snowflakes and dark color wash), but if you look closely in the corner you see he's holding a carrot! Laugh

Hobbit/LOTR cartoons & humor: http://www.sarahbor.com/

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 11 2016, 4:27am

Post #5 of 36 (3346 views)
Shortcut
Those pictures are stunning! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 11 2016, 4:48am

Post #6 of 36 (3348 views)
Shortcut
ooh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I took a peek at this amazing artist's work and saw he's done a certain elf too! Heart

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 11 2016, 4:38pm

Post #7 of 36 (3331 views)
Shortcut
Yes although.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Thranduil and Legolas were a wee less successful - although I hope this artist - obviously talented (I think he's a pro) gets lots of good comments and puts up more ME workTongue.

No worries - ME elves continue to serve as inspiration for artSmile. Love an IMO great photo edit too, so:

http://celtica-harmony.deviantart.com/...-Thranduil-509986460

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 11 2016, 7:12pm

Post #8 of 36 (3314 views)
Shortcut
That is stunning! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for posting that. I feel a new screensaver coming on Wink

The original artist you posted about certainly captures Thorin's nobility.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 11 2016, 10:14pm

Post #9 of 36 (3304 views)
Shortcut
You are welcome (: [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, like anything else quality can vary, but I am so jealous of some of these artistsTongue. IMO, one could spend a lifetime drawing the movies' Thorin and Thranduil. If I could paint or draw it would be Thorin, Thorin, Thorin, Thorin and Fili and Kili, Thorin on a pony, Thranduil, Thorin and Thranduil, Thorin and Dwalin, Thorin from the back, Thanduil having wine, Thorin and Fili, Thorin, Thranduil, Thorin....Wink

http://ladyaragorn71.deviantart.com/...-Thranduil-567373316

http://ladyaragorn71.deviantart.com/art/Thorin-518556025

But I can't, so I am just going to look around for some *special paper* to print these out on.TongueTongueTongue

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Cirashala
Valinor

Jan 11 2016, 10:45pm

Post #10 of 36 (3303 views)
Shortcut
obsessed much? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Remember- the first step toward recovery is admitting you have a problem Angelic Evil

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jan 11 2016, 11:13pm

Post #11 of 36 (3296 views)
Shortcut
Even I'm not that obsessed... [In reply to] Can't Post

since if I knew how to do this myself my artwork would include the following: Thorin, Erebor, Dwalin, Balin, Bilbo, Gollum, Smaug, Jurassic Park/World, Star Wars (either side, not just my preference), Capt. Jack, Barbossa, The Black Pearl, and any other fandom I might be into at the moment, as well as taking requests (from any fandom or character, whether I'm a fan of them or not), so as you can see, my artwork would be more varied, not just of a singular character and/or fandom (and this isn't even the entire list, otherwise this post would end up turning into a novel).Smile

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 12 2016, 1:32am

Post #12 of 36 (3292 views)
Shortcut
What? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not my fault!Angelic

It's Peter Jackson and Richard Armitage's fault. Now I have to go get the fire extinguisher. Again.CoolLaugh

Evil

Cirashala
Valinor

Jan 12 2016, 1:46am

Post #13 of 36 (3286 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

You guys just crack me up sometimes when your normally rational, intelligent, sophisticated selves start gushing like teenagers whenever Thorin, Thorin's hair, Thorin's costume, Thorin's sword, Thorin's hair, Thorin's coat, Thorin's eyes, Thorin's hair, Thorin.....are mentioned Angelic

I find it cutely amusing....though I must ask you:

How on earth are you able to constantly post pictures on your posts?!?!?!?!

Sorry- just went through the revolving door of feedback with a mod to get one of my pics on a post the other day (to the tune of a few hours), so I'm longing to figure out how to do it easily....

I'm debating a "tribute to the heirs of Durin" image lardered memorial thread (or "hairs of Durin", whichever one prefers Tongue) to bring something new to the hobbit boards and something more positive than a recent football team thread that is highly negative Crazy (and allow us all to float down the river of denial quite pleasantly Wink).

But obviously, how can one post such a thread without the proper photography of Thorin and his Nephews able to be posted?

(Note- I'm not a Thorin fan girl- I don't go for broody and cantankerous plus I'm only 29 and he seems too old for me, in all honesty- but I am more than appreciative of Fili and Kili and Kili ironically bears a strong resemblance to my husband which I find quite amusing).

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 12 2016, 2:43am

Post #14 of 36 (3280 views)
Shortcut
well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Re....

How on earth are you able to constantly post pictures on your posts?!?!?!?!

Sorry- just went through the revolving door of feedback with a mod to get one of my pics on a post the other day (to the tune of a few hours), so I'm longing to figure out how to do it easily...

Because all Thorinistas ARE
rational, intelligent, sophisticated - e.g. completely awesome, creative and multi-talentedWinkCool and thoroughly inspired by the finest that this world, and probably the next, has to offer in the form of RA's ThorinTongue - well, the short answer is we're just goodCool.

(An interesting side effect of joining my sisters in Thorin fandom has been the way my skin has become so radiant I've been stopped on the street and asked what I use; we are the only females (well, mostly) who HAVE NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL ABOUT THEIR HAIR; our bosses simply hand us promotions and break down when we leave our jobs; any excess poundage just melts away and/or if too thin, we wake up with exquisite curves.
It's just the way things are for us. Kind of like being an elf, I supposeAngelicWink)

Seriously, to answer your question - hmm, perhaps someone like "theHutt" is a good person to PM - e.g., someone like that who obviously knows graphics and some of the other TORn folks. For myself, since I tend to work image by image - it will depend on whether I am in Photoshop, which has a couple of ways to resize, or Gimp, which I don't know as well so I use the resize tool there, or for a quick job I use the various online web resizers:

http://webresizer.com/resizer/

and http://www.resizeimage.4u2ges.com/online_image_resizer

although there are others besides these. And I'd say - like the times I have done a lot of screen caps and put them up - for me, so far, there's no way around it being tedious. Because - and this is not a complaint, I always appreciate TORnHeart, you have to get images into TORn's guidelines re mb and pixel size. But I find that making an image smaller can often result in it looking too dark on screen, so then I will go in and mess with the color levels. If I am going to do a lot of images, I format the images first, before even thinking about posting (also, I may have some cropping to do on any given image).

The only other way I know around that kind of work is IF I could grab a whole bunch of images of the SAME dimensions, then I could set up an automated process within Photoshop or other, to resize and save. But with the pictures I have put up, they are rarely the same size. Finally, a quick way would just to download small images in the first place, because someone else already did the work.Cool

Hope that helps - I've done posts like the one you describe; mostly with those kinds of posts I do all of the images first, perhaps over a few days. The thing is too, TORn is not an image site per se like a screen cap site with an archive of high resolution photos or like Deviant Art - e.g., I think it is worth asking myself, at times, how much work do I want to put into something re images when posts will drop off a page, and not likely ever be seen again.Unsure

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 12 2016, 2:50am

Post #15 of 36 (3280 views)
Shortcut
*smiles* [In reply to] Can't Post

oh, if I could, I would draw all of the dwarves, and Beorn. And his ponies....

And even better, I could draw Thorin ON his pony.....

SmileLaughCool

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 12 2016, 6:10am

Post #16 of 36 (3269 views)
Shortcut
Well that sketch of Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

has made my day!

I wish I could draw too. My drawings would of course be more 'Mirkwoodcentric' than anything else, I can't pretend that I'd be interested in drawing anything else Smile I limit my picture collection to my wallpaper and screensaver and if I could get away with it I'd have some of the more beautiful images I have found of Thranduil printed out for my study, thusfar I have resisted. It is only a matter of time ... All it will take will be the right picture frame and it will begin, despite my husband's eye rolling and indignant snorting. Tongue

I am fascinated by the term Thorinistas and find that they share great similarities with those of us of the Elvish ilk, we are perhaps blonder and a touch remote, and spend a considerable length of time in front of the mirror working on our superior 'smirk'. It goes without saying that our eyebrows are immaculate AT ALL TIMES! Angelic

I love Avandel's enthusiasm for Thorin and I can relate wholeheartedly Heart

Edited to add a link to a great Thorin picture I saw earlier.
http://harpys-quill.deviantart.com/art/Thorin-348642945

(This post was edited by Nieriel on Jan 12 2016, 6:23am)

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 12 2016, 6:47am

Post #17 of 36 (3260 views)
Shortcut
Hairs of Durin [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm debating a "tribute to the heirs of Durin" image lardered memorial thread (or "hairs of Durin", whichever one prefers Tongue) to bring something new to the hobbit boards and something more positive than a recent football team thread that is highly negative Crazy (and allow us all to float down the river of denial quite pleasantly Wink).

Although my personal interest lies technically with 'the enemy' - I think that would be a happy thread indeed and a worthy tribute to the 'hairs of Durin' (love that idea for a name!)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 12 2016, 5:59pm

Post #18 of 36 (3233 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad - a few more (: [In reply to] Can't Post

and if I could get away with it I'd have some of the more beautiful images I have found of Thranduil printed out for my study, thusfar I have resisted. It is only a matter of time ... All it will take will be the right picture frame and it will begin, despite my husband's eye rolling and indignant snorting. Tongue

But fair is FAIRAngelic. After all, how many films do we sit through, together, with our males, and so many of the depicted females are either in leather cat suits and/or inexplicably lose bits and pieces of their clothing (well, OK, I just saw Iron Man 2 again, and there's Scarlett Johansson looking amazing and badass, and besides, the guys are getting Wonder WomanShocked on screen at some point re a trailer I saw).

So PJ & co. were just doing their part, in the Hobbit films, to level the playing field in modern media. Sir Peter is obviously the most sensitive re women's issuesCool, and I for one can only be profoundly grateful. Anyway, putting up images of *mythological characters* is IMO no different than those Italian depictions of the Greek/Roman gods, just because *visions* are derived from the Norse etc. doesn't mean Thranduil and Thorin are less CLASSIC and worthy wall art subjects.AngelicCool

Ooooh - that link of Thorin you provided - GORGEOUSHeart! One thing I like to do, is print stuff out on textured paper and just scrap book - it keeps the wall clutter down but I think of it as kind of my own companion book to the films and the WETA books. So here's a kind of trippy, dreamy winter Mirkwood website to check out:
http://i-amar--prestar--aen.motionforum.net/t43-winterly-mirkwood

And some more artSmile!

http://www.deviantart.com/...iling-King-581308010

http://sadronniel.deviantart.com/...nduil-No-2-527574552

A favorite Thranduil art pieceHeart

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart
http://variones.deviantart.com/art/Thranduil-475965085

I am fascinated by the term Thorinistas and find that they share great similarities with those of us of the Elvish ilk, we are perhaps blonder and a touch remote, and spend a considerable length of time in front of the mirror working on our superior 'smirk'. It goes without saying that our eyebrows are immaculate AT ALL TIMES! Angelic

LOL. Both Thorin and Thranduil so have amazing brows - as well they should, to frame those spectacular CERULEAN eyes...

http://img08.deviantart.net/..._jos2507-d6r558a.jpg

My heart may not have a lot of room left crammed with hairy dwarvesLaughCool, but there's definitely room for Thranduil's haunting beauty and deadly grace. The two together on screen was simply IMO an EPIC image.HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Cirashala
Valinor

Jan 12 2016, 11:17pm

Post #19 of 36 (3217 views)
Shortcut
sounds like [In reply to] Can't Post

we need a Thorin/Thranduil thread soon too Wink

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 13 2016, 12:41am

Post #20 of 36 (3205 views)
Shortcut
Wall hanging validation :p [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyway, putting up images of *mythological characters* is IMO no different than those Italian depictions of the Greek/Roman gods, just because *visions* are derived from the Norse etc. doesn't mean Thranduil and Thorin are less CLASSIC and worthy wall art subjects.Angelic

LOL! I have made a note of this logical argument to be used on scornful husbands in one's hour of need.

I love those images you found Laugh and the interesting Mirkwood winter link was fun (I had never really thought of Mirkwood in winter - in my head it's an autumnal place but that's probably only because autumn is my favourite time of year).
Anyway, here is another Thorin image - it's quite a strong image I think http://images6.fanpop.com/...33090945-245-344.jpg

we need a Thorin/Thranduil thread soon too Wink

Agreed, Cirashala! And with you in mind, I saw this Smile

http://aegileif.deviantart.com/...and-Philip-409376367

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 13 2016, 6:54pm

Post #21 of 36 (3180 views)
Shortcut
wall art... [In reply to] Can't Post

That last link you attached IS on my wallHeart, w. my Orcrist replica. I think - IMO - that it is the best image of a movie character ever done, for me - capturing the character's power and sorrow and loneliness and fire all in a single image. I love the photographer Nels Israelson's work (http://www.s162781670.websitehome.co.uk/hosted_sites/nelslens/). I loved the entire series he did for AUJ.

I just don't have enough room on the wall (TV area). Seriously with SOME film posters - Star Wars, LOTR/Hobbit, Blade Runner, the first Alien, POTC, Marvel, some older films - IMO it's art. I'd put up all the AUJ art - along with some of the other Hobbit posters if I could. I just don't have the room, so there are a few along w. Orcrist and *grins* Thranduil's staff. Most guys I know think it's cool and coo over the replica swords (everyone wants to hold them and try a few swings *wince*Shocked) Not all guys *shrugs* but vive la différence.Cool

I love thinking of Mirkwood in winter - I suppose because Thranduil just evokes so many images of a frost/winter god, for me. Beautiful, but dangerous. And seductive. He's always reminded me of a snow leopard.Heart

Hmm, a Thorin/Thranduil thread? Well, Valentine's Day IS approachingLaugh....and the Valar knows it's a day of love and *beauty*.....

http://kimberly80.deviantart.com/

So perhaps the dawn of spring causes Thranduil to realize that Thorin gets him so mad because they are so much alike...Angelic

And Thorin and Thranduil have a nice chat....

And end up partying in Dale together, to the delight of the Fang-gir-iells...

Because, you know, in the River of Denial, the two ended up being shield-brothers.WinkCoolAngelicEvil

Thranduil even thoughtfully sends up some elven headache powder and stomach medication to Erebor
after the party in Dale, as while it is true that dwarves are tough and stoic, only elves
were able to get to their feet after consuming the drinks fermented by the new city residents.

Bard and his people did the best they could with the materials on hand, but ever after the brew they
made was called "Enchanted Water". This is because after downing 3-4 mugs, your head feels like it floats
a few feet from your body and everything sparkles pink.

The drink is so popular in Middle Earth that Bard is later able to tell Thorin that he no longer needs
any of Erebor's support, as they can't ferment the *secret ingredients* fast enough. (No one really
wants to know what the secret ingredients are, but the previously rare kingsfoil is carefully cultivated
in pots throughout the rebuilding city. Then there are all those pigs...)

Thorin, in turn, always serves this during royal council meetings and so everyone
pretty well does things his way, as Thorin is careful to only drink milk.EvilCool

Cool

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jan 13 2016, 11:40pm

Post #22 of 36 (3168 views)
Shortcut
The only Thorin posters I have... [In reply to] Can't Post

are part of a group poster, since like with clothing (except for the odd costume or two), I just can't buy singular character posters. I find them too distracting and/or depressing (like the one of Thorin on the throne of Erebor for BoFA, though the Special Edition soundtrack does have that image, but it's smaller). The poster I have for AUJ is the entire group and is on my wall opposite my bed (across from my Jurassic World poster, which is also a group poster, but of the dinos, none of the humans, since that's all they had, and I wanted the poster that had a map of the island on it, even if it is a very small map), and the BoFA one has Thorin, Fili and Kili up against the baddies at Ravenhill before the bad stuff happens (if only they were all together in that scene, hopefully they would have all survived). I also have a group poster for The Force Awakens, but I had to take it down, since I only like to have four posters up at a time (even though I do have room for more). I have the BoFA one in my living room, since it's a fabric poster and you have to frame those (you can't put up a fabric poster with any kind of tape, I've tried. They only end up either falling down or slipping).

On the Valentine's front, there's quite a few choices for The Force Awakens. I bought the 16 pack with collectible light sticks (they also have ones with candies, but I found the sixteen pack first). I usually send my friend one, though I'll probably buy her a chocolate to go with it, since the Valentine is quite small. Why didn't they get Valentines for the Hobbit movies (they had them for the Lord of the Rings movies, since I had a few boxes), I'll never know.Smile

(This post was edited by Queen of Erebor on Jan 13 2016, 11:45pm)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2016, 4:04pm

Post #23 of 36 (3140 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Those are great. Our king looks heart-stoppingly majestic Heart Heart Heart

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 14 2016, 10:23pm

Post #24 of 36 (3121 views)
Shortcut
I can't stand it [In reply to] Can't Post

This artist is unknown - but NOT my work. I can only drool in envy at those who can pick up a handful of pencils
and do this kind of thing.

Never mind the artist who pulled this off using crayons....

http://blueprince312.deviantart.com/...ola-Crayon-515200204

Kim
Valinor

Jan 15 2016, 3:09am

Post #25 of 36 (3101 views)
Shortcut
Wow, these are all fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the thread Avandel. Smile

Since I have no artistic talent to speak of, I recent picked up some adult coloring books to help pretend that I do. I think I've just discovered the perfect subject for some new books. Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.