Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Official Introduction & Welcome Thread
First page Previous page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next page Last page  View All

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 7 2016, 10:03am

Post #601 of 666 (69800 views)
Shortcut
Who's that on your avatar? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 7 2016, 2:24pm

Post #602 of 666 (68240 views)
Shortcut
Stone's Avatar [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew he was a Warner Bros. character, but it took a while to identify him. He's Charles M Wolf, an obscure character who only seems to have appeared in one Merrie Melodies cartoon, "Hare-Less Wolf" from 1958. The short was directed by Friz Freleng.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Stone

Jan 7 2016, 6:37pm

Post #603 of 666 (67449 views)
Shortcut
Charles M. Wolf [In reply to] Can't Post

Charlie Wolf is correct. He is funny because his wife brow-beats him and also, he's constantly forgetting what he was doing. For instance, he'd be chasing Bugs and then he'd stop and say, "Now what was I chasing again? Possum, no...Chipmunk, no, no...Squirrel? No..."

It really cracks me up.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 7 2016, 10:11pm

Post #604 of 666 (67234 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, OS! // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 7 2016, 10:12pm

Post #605 of 666 (67670 views)
Shortcut
Hehe! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure sounds like a lot of fun. Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 7 2016, 11:17pm

Post #606 of 666 (66962 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew that the image looked familiar, but Charles was a one-off character. Sources say that his name might have been a play off of the name of animation director Charles M. Jones.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Stone

Jan 8 2016, 2:41am

Post #607 of 666 (67642 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 10 2016, 12:34am

Post #608 of 666 (68328 views)
Shortcut
Mae govannen [In reply to] Can't Post

Etiquette requires that introductions are good manners - Alas, I fail at such things as I am the sort of 'fan' to look on from a distance in quiet observation and feel more comfortable doing that than waving and saying Hi. Perhaps I lack the gregarious gene? However, what has drawn me from my shell is the camaraderie I have witnessed here between members. It is a rare and lovely thing to behold.

Older than my teeth but the same age as my tongue, I live in New Zealand after emigrating here within the last few years. I am still growing accustomed to Kiwi ways but can tell you that you will not find a more friendly and warm hearted population anywhere. Our weather is dramatic, which is one of the things I love about the place, and the scenery is so beautiful it borders on the indecent. The night sky is the most atonishing I have ever seen anywhere. The country is more than able to cater to my vices which include amazing seafood and luscious wines.

I was introduced to Middle Earth at a very early age, and firmly believe that experience shaped me in some way.

I look forward to spending time here.

(This post was edited by Nieriel on Jan 10 2016, 12:40am)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2016, 12:41am

Post #609 of 666 (68844 views)
Shortcut
Haere mai, Nieriel [In reply to] Can't Post

And congratulations on your decision to come out of lurkdom. I am sure you won't regret it.
Where in NZ are you? There are quite a few Kiwis on TORn.
I would be happy to help you with any questions about Kiwi kulcha. Cool

Funnily enough, I shall be partaking in seafood and wine tonight...

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2016, 12:43am

Post #610 of 666 (69002 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Nieriel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you've chosen to come out of the shadows and join our merry band of TORNsibs. I look forward to seeing you around the boards. Smile

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 10 2016, 12:59am

Post #611 of 666 (66924 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

I am in Canterbury, my nearest LOTR shooting location is Edoras - if that helps define it. Where are you?

Thank you for the offer to help me with Kiwi Kulcha, I do have questions! One of my most pressing is the Kiwi love affair with pies. I have recently discovered Coupland's Bakeries pies, but most particularity their chicken and Camembert pie .. When I met my first one I was moved to utter in a love sick way "where have you been all my life?" I appreciate that this bakery is South Island based, but I urge you to partake if you ever get the chance, if indeed you have not done so already.

I am envious of your seafood and wine ... I am craving a little Blue Cod with a nice glass of Sauvignon blanc, alas chicken salad must suffice.

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 10 2016, 1:50am

Post #612 of 666 (67520 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Silverlode! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2016, 1:55am

Post #613 of 666 (68959 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the hood! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a Cantabrian through and through. I grew up in the country near a small town called Leeston. I've lived in Christchurch all my adult life.

As far as pies go, I must inform you that Coupland's are a very good 'cheap 'n cheerful' bakery, but they are relatively lowbrow when it comes to proper pies. I always buy their pies and sausage rolls for a morning tea shout, because they are good value. It is interesting that Coupland's have not really managed to break into the North Island market, despite being an institution in Christchurch. Their bread is actually pretty good, and I recommend you try their cheese busters. Their Belguim biscuits are good too. But if you are keen on their pies, a world of delights awaits you further afield!

What you need for comparison is Hillyers (the best), or Sheffield pies (think they're the best), or try the Aorangi Bakery or the Copenhagen Bakery. They all make very good pies.
Really, what you need to do is pie crawl your way around Canterbury. Every time you go to a bakery, try a pie. You will start to get a sense of the hierarchy of pies. We take our pies very seriously you know!
I am continuing on the quest to find the perfect Afghan, and the only way to do it is to try an Afghan at every bakery or cafe. It's hard, but someone has to do it. Cool

Without being too nosey, I would love to know more about how you came to be here - just share what you are happy to.Smile

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 10 2016, 2:36am

Post #614 of 666 (66881 views)
Shortcut
Your Afghan search [In reply to] Can't Post

is strangely coincidental, I am conducting the same search with regards to Ginger slice/crunch.. So far, Raeward Fresh is winning. I had the most dreadful Ginger Crunch at an establishment just outside Geraldine - it should be marketed as Ginger Concrete if it wishes to describe itself more correctly. As you say, someone has to do it. Aren't we brave?

Oh, I agree - Coupland's is cheap and cheerful but there was something about that Chicken and Camembert ... A guilty pleasure? I shall take your advice and further my pie explorations. I am not fond of Coupland's Ginger Crunch!

Baked goods brings me to Cheese Rolls - A completely unknown commodity before my arrival in New Zealand. Suffice to say I am fond of well made ones, and I am honing the recipe I was given to create my own to find Cheese Roll perfection. A native Cantabrian has taken me under her wing and is sharing her closely guarded Kiwi recipes with me. I recently made a form of Lolly Cake which involved Pineapple Lumps as the centre stage lolly .. Can I say 'yummy'? I was proud when several Kiwi ladies of a certain age asked me for the recipe!

My partner, a Cantabrian born and bred like yourself, is the reason we are here. When we met it was always agreed that one day we would come to New Zealand to live and I have never regretted the decision and thankfully our offspring has settled in so well and made so many friends. We live in a villa which we are restoring, a massive labour of love, and have a garden that needs taming, but we are happy. But my goodness don't things grow here? I swear if I planted a broom handle it would sprout roots and grow!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2016, 3:54am

Post #615 of 666 (66778 views)
Shortcut
Cheese rolls [In reply to] Can't Post

are one of the great wonders of the world. Cheese rolls and soup in the winter! I confess my knowledge of the correct method is limited, as they are a Southland speciality. There are actually people in the North Island who do not know cheese rolls exist. Poor, deprived people. Laugh
I always love starting conversations about bacon and egg pie, because there are often strong feelings about whether any vegetables should be included. (Which of course they shouldn't)

Lolly cake I adore, but I've never tried it with pineapple lumps inside - sounds fab! And if you are a chocolate fiend, Whittakers is the only way to go. Have you tried their pear and honey? It's divine.

Ah, the villa reno. Also known as the hole in the ground that you chuck money in. A labour of love indeed, but so worth it. Do share some photos if you feel like it.

Nieriel
Rivendell

Jan 10 2016, 4:22am

Post #616 of 666 (67862 views)
Shortcut
Those poor devils in the North Island [In reply to] Can't Post

and no cheese rolls .. My heart bleeds ... Perhaps a mercy dash to supply them might be the charitable thing to do? But do we trust Jetstar not to squish them en-route? I think not.

Speak not to me of chocolate! My New Year's Resolution was no chocolate until Easter ... But I have no willpower and a fondness for the darkest of all chocolate, so thank you for the Whittakers tip, as I see they have in their range a very dark one indeed.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 10 2016, 10:18am

Post #617 of 666 (66921 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Make yourself at home. Smile

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 12 2016, 7:00am

Post #618 of 666 (66305 views)
Shortcut
D'you like pies, or something? [In reply to] Can't Post

Mmm, I completely forgot about the wonderful Afghans I had. I grew to enjoy the walnuts, despite not liking them at the beginning!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

williamjohn

Feb 25 2016, 5:10am

Post #619 of 666 (64600 views)
Shortcut
Introduction [In reply to] Can't Post

This is John. Newly join to this forum to have a general discussion about off topics.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 25 2016, 5:47am

Post #620 of 666 (65771 views)
Shortcut
Welcome. [In reply to] Can't Post

I look forward to seeing you around the boards.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 25 2016, 11:26am

Post #621 of 666 (66050 views)
Shortcut
Mae govannen! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 25 2016, 12:02pm

Post #622 of 666 (64922 views)
Shortcut
this thread is making me hungry (it is nearly lunchtime)... [In reply to] Can't Post

..and I'm a very long way from New Zealand, so can't try any of these things.... *sob*

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 25 2016, 12:03pm

Post #623 of 666 (65716 views)
Shortcut
Hello Nieriel [In reply to] Can't Post

..and a belated welcome!

that I have never seen:

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 25 2016, 12:04pm

Post #624 of 666 (65275 views)
Shortcut
Hello.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and welcome! Smile

that I have never seen:

TolkienOtaku
Rivendell

May 3 2016, 4:26am

Post #625 of 666 (61627 views)
Shortcut
Awkwardly comes back after an eternity of being away. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why did I spend so much time away from here? I'm a Tolkien fan! Nowhere else on the internet are my Tolkien needs met as they are here.

Well, I'm back. And I hope I don't lose interest again.

沉魚落雁, 閉月羞花

First page Previous page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.