Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
An Unexpected Journey scene - the Blue Mountains?

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Jan 6 2016, 8:58pm

Post #1 of 16 (1362 views)
Shortcut
An Unexpected Journey scene - the Blue Mountains? Can't Post

In the prologue of AUJ, at 00:09:10 there is a short scene where Thorin and the Erebor survivors are in a mountainous region, and Thorin seems to be pointing out something.
Is this probably meant to be the Blue Mountains where the Dwarves settled?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 6 2016, 9:08pm

Post #2 of 16 (1329 views)
Shortcut
Those could be the Blue Mountains... [In reply to] Can't Post

The other possibility is that this might be when Thorin was leading his folk through the Gap of Rohan to begin the crossing of Eriador on their way to the Blue Mountains. Either interpretation would seem to work.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 6 2016, 9:10pm)

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Jan 6 2016, 9:51pm

Post #3 of 16 (1315 views)
Shortcut
I actually hadn't thought about the Gap of Rohan [In reply to] Can't Post

although that is another possibility as you said.
In the case of the Blue Mountains, a river is seen in the background of the scene, maybe that could be the Lune or Little Lune river?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 6 2016, 10:12pm

Post #4 of 16 (1300 views)
Shortcut
The River Lhûn... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the case of the Blue Mountains, a river is seen in the background of the scene, maybe that could be the Lune or Little Lune river?

That does strengthen your theory. The Isen flows across the Gap of Rohan while the River Lhûn largely parallels the northern Ered Luin. However, if Thorin was looking north from the southern part of the range, he should have been gazing upon the narrowing eastern end of the Gulf of Lhûn rather than the river that empties into it. In fact, he would have been almost directly south of the Grey Havens. Also, if Thorin was standing at the Tower Hills, the Havens would have been between him and the Blue Mountains.

I don't think that he would have been standing at the Hills of Evendim, directly to the east of the Ered Luin -- I just don't see him being that far north; but that would possibly match his view better.

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 6 2016, 10:15pm)

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Jan 6 2016, 10:34pm

Post #5 of 16 (1288 views)
Shortcut
If you mean about where Thorin is standing [In reply to] Can't Post

There may be a possibility: Thorin might be in the northern Ered Luin, a bit south of the source of the Little Lune river and looking north across the river.
Do you think that could work?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 6 2016, 10:53pm

Post #6 of 16 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's Perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There may be a possibility: Thorin might be in the northern Ered Luin, a bit south of the source of the Little Lune river and looking north across the river.
Do you think that could work?

I am trying to visualize that while referencing a map of the Blue Mountains, but that description doesn't work for me. However, this might just be a lack of imagination on my part. Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong.

Thorin's Halls would have been on the eastern side of the Northern Blue Mountains and probably well south of the source of the Little Lune. That doesn't mean that he couldn't have come that far in his wandering.

- Dream of the Endless

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Jan 6 2016, 11:19pm

Post #7 of 16 (1265 views)
Shortcut
We don't know for sure where Thorin's halls were located... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though a bit north of the Little lune river sounds a possible location for me; also, Dwalin in AUJ states that Thorin has gone to a meeting of their kin in the north - if the halls are south of the Little lune then they would be rather east than north. But I may have got the directions wrong.
About Thorin's viewpoint, I imagined that into the eastern edge of the Blue Mountains there was a small valley where the source of the Little lune was located, and the river ran out of the 'valley' to appear as it is on the map. At the end of the valley, where the river enlarges and appears on the map, was where Thorin stands. But that was just my imagined guess, so I might not explain it very accurately Smile.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jan 7 2016, 1:40am

Post #8 of 16 (1238 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

its as much the blue mountains as it is thorin going for a bit of a walk with friends and saying 'i can see the pub from here'

clearly its meant to show him travelling so could be absolutely anywhere, mute point.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 7 2016, 2:31am

Post #9 of 16 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's Halls [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We don't know for sure where Thorin's halls were located...

Tolkien gives us a rough idea. He wrote in Appendix A that Thráin established his halls on the east side of the Northern Ered Luin, "beyond the Lune." The "Tale of Years" (Appendix B) indicates that the halls were probably south of the Little Lune.

- Dream of the Endless

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 7 2016, 5:38pm

Post #10 of 16 (1093 views)
Shortcut
I may be mistaken, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I recall hearing those mountains being called the Blue Mountains somewhere in the appendices. Don't hold me to that though :-)

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Jan 7 2016, 6:30pm

Post #11 of 16 (1082 views)
Shortcut
^^In which of the Hobbit movies' Appendices exactly? [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 7 2016, 6:36pm

Post #12 of 16 (1077 views)
Shortcut
I honestly do not recall [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched all the movies and appendices over this Christmas season, and I do believe I heard someone call them the Blue Mountains. It may have been Richard Armitage himself.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jan 7 2016, 6:49pm

Post #13 of 16 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Could it be [In reply to] Can't Post

In Dain's part in the BOFA appendices, because we see them shooting that scene during the part when they are talking about dwarf women.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Jan 7 2016, 7:18pm

Post #14 of 16 (1061 views)
Shortcut
It could be... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll rewatch that part of the BOTFA Appendices and see if it has any info Wink.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Jan 7 2016, 8:54pm

Post #15 of 16 (1046 views)
Shortcut
It is the Blue Mountains! [In reply to] Can't Post

After some scenes regarding Dwarf-women (including Richard Armitage joking that of all the survivors, to the Blue Mountains came only three Dwarf-women with which the rest would populate their new home Laugh) they explain that Thorin decides to start a new group as far west as the Blue Mountains (and show it on a map) and they show this scene from AUJ! Seems my guess was correct Smile.
Thanks for the info Earl, I honestly wouldn't have noticed this if you hadn't mentioned it Smile.
PS: The map which shows Thorin's settling in the Blue Mountains shows three pointed paths ending in the Mountains, maybe this means they settled at three places there? And one of the paths ends north of the Little Lune river, maybe there was located their 'capital'? Wink

(This post was edited by ThorinsNemesis on Jan 7 2016, 8:57pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2016, 5:16am

Post #16 of 16 (994 views)
Shortcut
Aha! So it was Richard :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, they do show the nap with the arrows as well.

Glad you found the information you wanted Smile

(This post was edited by Earl on Jan 8 2016, 5:16am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.