Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Saruman vs The Witch King of Angmar

Shinra Tensei

Jan 5 2016, 8:55pm

Post #1 of 5 (2541 views)
Shortcut
Saruman vs The Witch King of Angmar Can't Post

I know that it can be a mismatch, but I was wondering who could win in a one vs one battle. Let's forget about Glorfindel's prophecy and imagine a duel between these two.

The Witch King has not his winged creature
Intel: full for both
Prep: a month
Distance: 10 metres

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jan 7 2016, 12:58am

Post #2 of 5 (2490 views)
Shortcut
Yes, a big mismatch [In reply to] Can't Post

If you’re talking Saruman the White, being a Maia and in origin the greatest of the Order of Istari it would be a trifling for him to whack the Witch King.

Remember that Gandalf the Grey fought all Nine Nazgul to a draw atop Amon Sul; and so the Witch King would have been involved.
So I believe that even Gandalf the Grey would win in such a one-on-one battle.

And welcome to the wild and zany world of TORn! Smile

'When I was young I found out that the big toe always ends up making a hole in a sock.
So I stopped wearing socks.'

- Albert Einstein

Shinra Tensei

Jan 7 2016, 10:04am

Post #3 of 5 (2476 views)
Shortcut
Rank is not everything.. at least, it seems so [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks bro Cool

Anyway, by feats and rank, Saruman is supposed to be stronger. In fact he is a Maia, while the Witch King is an undead empowered by Sauron, but still a man.
What made me put the question is the scene in LOTR in which Gandalf the White faces the Nazgul in Gondor, and the Witch King shatters his magic stick with ease, and then Denethor argues with Gandalf of who's the strongest between them, and Gandalf enigmatically admits the Witch King could be superior to him

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 7 2016, 2:23pm

Post #4 of 5 (2473 views)
Shortcut
Saruman [In reply to] Can't Post

Picture Al Pacino as Manwe:

"You find out that life is just a game of inches. So is football. Because in either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half step too late or too early, you don't quite make it. One half second too slow or too fast, and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They are in every break of the game, every minute, every second.

"On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team, we tear ourselves, and everyone around us, to pieces for that inch. We CLAW with our finger nails for that inch. Cause we know
when we add up all those inches that's going to make the ******* difference between WINNING and LOSING; between LIVING and DYING.

"I'll tell you this: in any fight it is the guy who is willing to die who is going to win that inch. And I know if I am going to have any life anymore it is because I am still willing to fight and die for that inch because that is what LIVING is: the six inches in front of your face."

-Any Given Sunday (1999)

Saruman is alive, the Witch King is not.

Saruman wins.

And welcome to TORn!!

Fimbrethil, Warrior Entwife

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jan 7 2016, 2:25pm)

Padster
Bree

Mar 10 2016, 8:53pm

Post #5 of 5 (1984 views)
Shortcut
Saurman [In reply to] Can't Post

Saurman was a powerful Maia, and as others have said, an inferior Gandalf withstood (but withdrew from) all nine Nazgul.

I guess it depends on what incarnation of the Witch-King we are talking about, of which I think there are two. Pre-Minas Tirith and during Minas Tirith.

During Minas Tirith The Witch-King was empowered by Sauron, and I think he would have given any of the Istari a good fight, possibly even defeating one like Radagast.

Saruman had three incarnations. The White, The Many-coloured (Ring-empowered) and the fallen. The fallen gets squished, but either of the other two would beat The Witch-King.

I don't see how it could end any other way.

Cheers

Padster

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.