Have never watched the show
View Results (81 votes)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2016, 8:44am

Post #1 of 18 (930 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Downton Abbey characters Can't Post

To celebrate season six of Downton Abbey, which will run here in the U.S. starting Sunday, a poll of your favorite characters! You may vote for as many as you'd like. I made sure to include "Other" so be sure to include favorites from seasons past.

My favorites are: Isobel, Mrs. Hughes, and Edith.

I know Maggie Smith kills it as Violet; her zingers are priceless. Laugh But I like Isobel. The main reason I disliked season two was because they made her out to be a buffoon. Fortunately, they got her back on track and back to form.Smile

Mrs. Hughes is both idealistic and very practical at once. She's respectful without being overly deferential.

I know Edith isn't the most popular of the sisters. She's whiney and self-pitying. But she basically has a good heart, and after she's done with her pity parties, she gets up and gets things done.

So, who are your favorites? Smile

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jan 3 2016, 6:56pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 3 2016, 11:25am

Post #2 of 18 (871 views)
Shortcut
Too hard..... [In reply to] Can't Post

We've just had the last ever episode on Christmas Day, so I'm feeling warm and woolly and would really like to vote for almost all of them (I didn't, though!) And I promise not to spoil anything...

Violet stands out a mile - and I like Isobel too. Lord Grantham has had his moments, I agree with you about Mrs Hughes and Carson is endearing for all he's a terrible snob. But I think my ultimate favourites would be Matthew, Mary for the way they managed to make her sympathetic even though she could also be appaling, and Tom.

I didn't vote for Edith, though I did come to like her by the end.

And right now I'd like to return to the voting and give an 'other' vote for Isis - the most familiar dog's rear end on TV and probably the most innocently inappropriate choice of name!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 3 2016, 2:34pm

Post #3 of 18 (869 views)
Shortcut
Could I add... [In reply to] Can't Post

...a "Have never watched the show" option to the poll?

I haven't yet seen any episodes of it...but then, I tend to not watch television very often anyway.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2016, 4:17pm

Post #4 of 18 (863 views)
Shortcut
Oh my, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I intend all sorts of options when I'm contemplating these polls, but then become rather hasty when I'm actually doing them and forget much of what I'd planned. TongueCrazy

I had also intended to word my introduction differently, asking which characters we loved and which we loved to hate. Laugh But most of the ones people love to hate are shorter term characters and I ended up not including them in the options. So hasty. Treebeard would not approve. Unsure

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2016, 4:34pm

Post #5 of 18 (856 views)
Shortcut
Ah! Warm and woolly's good :) [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds promising. Smile

I can't say I like Mary, but I admire her. She's strong and independent, and at least very loyal to Anna, Bates, and Carson and treats them well even if she's otherwise a snob. And I appreciate the fact that, even as one of the main characters, she's true to her character and allowed to be unlikable sometimes.

I almost voted for Tom as well. I liked Matthew, but I guess he's just not fresh enough in my mind.

As for Edith, I know she is hard to like, too. In addition to what I said before, what she did to that farmer's wife was pretty horrible. But it was also understandable.

And, yes, poor Isis. Even just now my autocorrect tried to make the letters in her name all capitals. Frown

Annael
Immortal

Jan 3 2016, 5:19pm

Post #6 of 18 (846 views)
Shortcut
Isis [In reply to] Can't Post

was a goddess, in fact, THE goddess around the Mediterranean for a long time. It's both ironic and sad that a terrorist group that terrorizes women above all should be tagged with that nickname.

I loved Isis the dog. I would say Cora, Sibyl, Edith, and Tom are my favorites. And poor Thomas - he does bad things, but he's suffering inside far more than anyone else.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 3 2016, 7:00pm

Post #7 of 18 (844 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you - done, and so voted!

I think it might have been confusing, having both loved and loved-to-hate in the same poll. You could do a separate poll of the loved-to-hates! Laugh Unless it would have something like 100 names, that would get a bit unwieldy...

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2016, 2:17pm

Post #8 of 18 (821 views)
Shortcut
And thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, in fact a poll of love-to-hates would be quite unwieldy. Laugh

joec_34
Rivendell

Jan 4 2016, 6:20pm

Post #9 of 18 (812 views)
Shortcut
Matthew, Tom, & Thomas [In reply to] Can't Post

Matthew for being so wonderful.
Tom for being irrepressible.
Thomas for his complexity.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2016, 2:19am

Post #10 of 18 (786 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

From the very first, I thought the name ISIS was an odd choice on their part for such a group, but I guess it's an acronym derived from the English translation (?)

I agree, poor Thomas. I hope in this last season he's allowed to finally become the good guy we've glimpsed in previous seasons.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jan 5 2016, 2:34am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2016, 2:23am

Post #11 of 18 (789 views)
Shortcut
I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope Tom returns soon! I'm pretty sure he's going to be in this season; the actor who plays him has been doing promotional interviews. *Fingers crossed* Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 5 2016, 10:00am

Post #12 of 18 (780 views)
Shortcut
I think it stands for.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Islamic State in Syria. But it is shame that the name has taken on that association and I think it suited the godess - and the dog - much better!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 5 2016, 10:09am

Post #13 of 18 (770 views)
Shortcut
Islamic State of Iraq and Syria // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 5 2016, 10:30am

Post #14 of 18 (767 views)
Shortcut
Ah - sorry, my mistake! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 5 2016, 5:38pm

Post #15 of 18 (739 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Pamuk!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now there is one Turkish Delight! Tongue

But I loved the whole scene with Mary, Cora and Anna dragging his corpse the length of the house to save Mary from scandal. I also loved the scene they showed the other night about Violet letting Cora know she knew, just after showing Robert telling Carson (I think) that they'd have to remove the body discreetly from the house to protect the ladies' fragile sensibilities! Laugh

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 5 2016, 5:44pm

Post #16 of 18 (733 views)
Shortcut
Naming the dog Isis [In reply to] Can't Post

was a nod to the fact that Lord Carnarvon of Highclere Castle and Howard Carter discovered King Tut's tomb.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2016, 8:15am

Post #17 of 18 (619 views)
Shortcut
Yes, definitely! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Feb 1 2016, 5:54pm

Post #18 of 18 (415 views)
Shortcut
Can't vote… [In reply to] Can't Post

I love all of them. Even Isis the dog, and I am the opposite of a dog lover.

The thing is, I have enjoyed this series so very much. I just watched the last ever episode, the Christmas special, a few days ago and I am still saddened by the fact that there won't be anymore ever again. But the Brits are pretty good at having specials every now and then. There have been specials of the vicar of Dibley, and other shows, for example. I'm really hoping to see a Downton special in the years to come. If not a movie.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.