Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Favorite movie series other than Middle-earth
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Favorite movie series other than Middle-earth
The Chronicles of Narnia
Harry Potter
The Pirates of the Caribbean
Star Wars
Star Trek (old ones either with Shatner or Stewart)
Star Trek (the new movies)
The Hunger Games
Marvel Universe
DC movies( Batman, Superman.)
Indiana Jones
Studio Ghilbi ( Princess Mononoke, Secret World of Arrietty, Ponyo, etc.)
Divergent
Maze Runner
Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Any other movie series you know of!
View Results (59 votes)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Dec 29 2015, 3:17pm

Post #26 of 46 (420 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Annael
Immortal

Dec 29 2015, 5:29pm

Post #27 of 46 (417 views)
Shortcut
Trek for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched the original series on television during my formative years, so it had the most impact. And probably predisposed me to like most of the others listed when they came along later.

I know the Firefly series with the later movie Serenity doesn't qualify, but really that is my favorite.

Susan
Bree

Dec 30 2015, 3:34am

Post #28 of 46 (398 views)
Shortcut
Wow, it's great to know that other people like The Voyage Home too! [In reply to] Can't Post

It has such a touching and relevant storyline, and the crew's attempts to fit in in the past were absolute gold. What I wouldn't give, too, to be that biologist who gets brought with them to the 23rd century.

The Wrath of Khan is an excellent movie as well. Spock's dying speech is one of the most beautiful exchanges in cinema, I think.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Dec 30 2015, 4:18am

Post #29 of 46 (393 views)
Shortcut
I'm gonna rock the boat - The Thin Man series! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like several of your choices, mostly Marvel and Harry Potter, but I voted for "Other" and I'm really going to sound old - The Thin Man series! They were actually made before I was born. I've got a movie collection of those. I also have a set of Matt Helm movies, which are kind of a spoof of James Bond (not an incredible Bond fan) starring Dean Martin as a drunk spy. I think those were made in the 60's when I was in grade school. Love "The Silencers" and "The Wrecking Crew!" If you young-uns ever get a chance to see either, you'll either thank me or be very bored, but my daughters do love the "Thin Man!"

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Dec 30 2015, 4:23am

Post #30 of 46 (394 views)
Shortcut
Can't believe no one said "Sherlock" [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course I suppose the Benedict Cumberbatch/Martin Freeman series isn't technically a MOVIE, but heck, it might as well be considering how infrequently they are released. And of course there's the old Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce movies - surely SOME of you have seen those? No, I didn't list them as my favorites, but they probably should have gone on my list. Greatly looking forward to "The Abominal Bride" this Friday, YAAAAYYYYY!!!!!Cool

Kim
Valinor

Dec 30 2015, 5:52am

Post #31 of 46 (386 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars [In reply to] Can't Post

The original trilogy + the new one

Also really like:
Star Trek (The Voyage Home is also my favorite)
Alien (I and II)
Terminator (I and II)
Indiana Jones (I, II and III)
Harry Potter
Jurassic Park (I, II and IV)
The Mummy (I and II)
Toy Story

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2015, 11:29am

Post #32 of 46 (383 views)
Shortcut
I think that many of us had that secret desire: [In reply to] Can't Post

To be Gillian, and find ourselves suddenly transported aboard a vessel ("wessel", lol!) to the future...

Cool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 30 2015, 1:58pm

Post #33 of 46 (380 views)
Shortcut
Guilty Pleasures [In reply to] Can't Post

Just for sheer, goofy fun I have to add Toho's Godzilla movies to my list as well as the Gamera reboot from the 1990s.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 30 2015, 1:59pm)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Dec 30 2015, 5:13pm

Post #34 of 46 (371 views)
Shortcut
I would of put Sherlock down [In reply to] Can't Post

It's technically not a movie series. (even though they are long like movies!)Wink I'm looking forward to seeing the new one, but won't be able to see it in theaters, but we did preorder it!

I love the Thin Man! My mom and watched them all about two years ago, and I loved them! I think they are great movies!

Maciliel
Valinor

Jan 1 2016, 2:43am

Post #35 of 46 (353 views)
Shortcut
if we can include sherlock, then we ought to be able to include foyle's war [In reply to] Can't Post

each foyle's war ep feels like a short film to me..... so if we bend the definition a bit, i would say foyle's war. if we're not bending, i'd say harry potter.

cheers ---

Susan
Bree

Jan 1 2016, 3:15am

Post #36 of 46 (352 views)
Shortcut
Well, at least you know now what to do when someone comes asking for directions to "where they keep the nuclear wessels"... [In reply to] Can't Post

ask where they parked. Wink

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 1 2016, 5:29am

Post #37 of 46 (351 views)
Shortcut
Yes, if we're including tv... [In reply to] Can't Post

Foyle's War would get a vote from me too. Such a well-done series in every way. And then Sherlock would qualify too.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jan 1 2016, 5:30am)

Maciliel
Valinor

Jan 1 2016, 5:36am

Post #38 of 46 (347 views)
Shortcut
yep and yep! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

i really do think of the foyle's war installments as films. when i discovered the series, it had racked up a few years, and every time it was renewed i was absolutely beside myself with joy. we did miss out on an entire year of the war, because that one ITV head cancelled the series (the blaggard).

sherlock is also worthy. and if anyone wants to argue with me, i will be in my horse-mind palace.

cheers ---

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Jan 1 2016, 5:40am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 1 2016, 2:34pm

Post #39 of 46 (335 views)
Shortcut
Just look for the [In reply to] Can't Post

pad imprints in the ground.

And strewn garbage.

That movie had so, so many great scenes!

Susan
Bree

Jan 3 2016, 2:25am

Post #40 of 46 (318 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely. And now I want to watch it again :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ringtir
Rivendell

Jan 6 2016, 2:24pm

Post #41 of 46 (295 views)
Shortcut
I choose Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight [In reply to] Can't Post

This trilogy, and the LOTR one, are the only movie series that i enjoy.

I like POC:The curse of the Black Pearl and I love POC:Dead Man's chest (it is much more similar to Monkey Island), but there isn't any good about End World and little about Stranger Tides.

Didn't see the Alien originals. But i enjoy Prometheus and AvP. I should watch them.

NManfredi
Rivendell

Jan 8 2016, 3:39am

Post #42 of 46 (219 views)
Shortcut
I love several [In reply to] Can't Post

The Marvel Universe (although I don't like all the movies herein included: especially Thor 1, Iron Man 2 and Cap 1). I LOVE The Pirates of the Cribbean series; like the Star Wars series very much (although not THAT much); love The Riddick series; recently discovered The Star Trek movie series, and I'm enjoying my great deal of them; and have many more movie series that I enjoy. But If I was forced to chose, I think I would say the Underworld movies. I know they have many issues, but I absolutely LOVE the world they've created and it has been my inspiration for creating a world of my own which I'm now starting to write about. One day I may post one thing or two that I've written if someone asks me to! Wink

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Jan 24 2016, 10:24pm

Post #43 of 46 (160 views)
Shortcut
Making me choose between my fandoms!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted Maze Runner because I've completely fallen in love with the series, but if TMR hadn't been up there, I would totally have voted Star Wars!
My other favorites would be:
Marvel
Chronicles of Narnia
I'm in a sort of love/hate relationship with Hunger Games.

Konrad S
Lorien

Jan 26 2016, 7:57pm

Post #44 of 46 (144 views)
Shortcut
wow umm [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Percy Jackson, Star Wars, Pirates of the Carribean, Narnia, Hunger games and Harry Potter

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Feb 21 2016, 1:48pm

Post #45 of 46 (105 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the epic SCI/FANTASY SAGA of Luke Skywalker. Yes the prequels were bad but the originals and now TFA have redeemed Star Wars from its "dark times."

Omnigeek
Lorien

Feb 21 2016, 9:36pm

Post #46 of 46 (100 views)
Shortcut
I went with Star Trek (old) [In reply to] Can't Post

just because of my love for the first four movies (although my order of preference is STII:TWOK, ST:TMP, STIV:TVH, STIII:TSFS) but for your consideration and viewing pleasure, I also like the following series:

- The Man With No Name (Clint Eastwood / Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns)
- Back to the Future
- Karate Kid (original 3 with Ralph Macchio)
- Horatio Hornblower (new telemovies with Ioan Gruffud)
- The Godfather
- Rocky
- Mad Max
- John Ford/ John Wayne collaborations (The Searchers, 3 Godfathers, Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Quiet Man) -- I add this compilation rather than series only because you listed Studio Ghibli (which I also like)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.