The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Thorin's sword Deathless (by Noble) mini-review

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 19 2015, 7:08pm

Post #1 of 11 (2782 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's sword Deathless (by Noble) mini-review Can't Post

OK, I caved. Wanted a dwarven weapon and had been looking at the "raven" or "regal sword" of Thorin Oakenshield that United Cutlery put out - especially IMO because of the ravens-head guardHeart - but IMO kind of pricey for a polystone sword that MIGHT, one day - clumsy as I can be at times - get hit the wrong way and POSSIBLY chip/break, because, it's a sword replica and it's going to be out there, hanging on a wall. (Like the lamp shade I still need to repair *meh*). Anyway, that's a purchase that has been tabled for a while, if ever.ShockedUnimpressed

Hobbit Shop was having a Black Friday saleTongue and finding out that Deathless was made of stainless steel - OK, so I caved.

To cut to the chaseCool:

I'm glad. I love this "wallhanger". For what it is and price point - IMO NICE. Very happySmileSmileSmileHeartHeartHeart!

There are better reviews and pictures out there than mine, especially:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=198094

But I think I am a bit more content than this reviewerCool, who IMO rightly brings up UC's quality. True enough, IMO, with what little I know of UC. But as "wallhangers" go - I'm not seeing much difference between UC's Orcrist and this sword - they both IMO have done a good job with solid, but affordable materials - from what little I have.

As the other reviewer notes - this sword - at least for me - is HEAVY. As in, would-be-good-for-exercising-with heavy. I think the weight is ~7 lbs. I will be looking for a stud to hang this one, or at least heavy duty drywall mounts. The hanging plaque - which is not that heavy - can't tell if it is wood or MDF - the ornamentation is some sort of one piece plastic or thin metal piece that is just glued on. It was carefully and neatly made, tho, even if not LOL carved wood with gold leaf.

I can't even begin to swing this sword one-handedShocked. The other reviewer talks about the balance point - well, yeah. IMO this is DWARF weapon, for someone with powerful wrists and arms. For me it's like a sledgehammer except weighted more to the hilt.

Feels good to hold tho! It's comfortable! Sorry about those evil styro ballsFrown in this pic - actually the sword was packed with impressive care, and carefully wrapped. Picture doesn't show how IMO nice the hilt is - it's rich looking and "dwarfy" and heavy. Not as bright gold as the Noble pictures show on their site - I wouldn't care either way, as that kind of thing can be changed.

The other reviewer thinks the blade is less lovely than that of a UC sword - for me *shrug*. The blade is painted, I think to look similar to the real thing:

Well, If I wanted to spend time on it, MAYBE I could get this effect. I don't know. Strip the paint, polish the blade, and then antique it and hope I don't ruin it. Er, noUnimpressed.
Besides:

I'm not seeing a lot of difference here *shrug*, replica to real thing, depending on the light.

The reviewer also mentions the inset antique blackening of the blade was sloppy on his - mine is perfectHeart. The whole sword is perfect, even the little dwarf emblems on the pommel.

Finally, if I REALLY work at it, I can very slightly move the blade in the hilt. I mean, I have to force it. Having read about this replica for purchase - well, that's something that I would fuss about with any replica and even furniture - I hate wobbling anything. It just bothers meCool. So I am pretty happy about a firmly set blade.

Other stuff - no, the blade is not edged, but I like the smooth bevel - it's thin enough and not obvious. I suspect this is pretty "basic stainless steel" therefore non-weapon quality from reading about different kinds of steel - e.g. this is a wall hanger, if you try to use it in a fight, the steel is brittle and would break. The point is sharp though. The blade is a good thickness - nothing about this feels flimsy or cheesy or hollow, even. The whole thing was neatly done, which is MUCH appreciated.Cool

I've always loved the AUJ banner and image of Thorin:

And it's lovely to have the sword - a little bit of that artwork - in real life.

So, for me, unless you are truly particular - everyone is different - 10 stars from me, for what this is and the price point. I've been accused of being fussy - well, yes, re this sword I was fretting over everything that MIGHT be "wrong" including a wiggly blade, bent blade, bad paint, cheesy feeling, damage, and so on.

I loveHeartmy Christmas present to meCool. I also love that Hobbit Shop had free shipping on this (at the moment tho this sword seems to be out of stock there, maybe I got the last one they hadUnsure???? tho you can get this at Noble and other places online), as at the time I kind of thought that wasn't a big thing, but seeing as the sword is so heavy, I'm happy about that now too.Cool

Laugh!SQUEEE!Cool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 19 2015, 7:43pm

Post #2 of 11 (2764 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's never good to feel cheated when you've dropped significant money on a collectable, even at a nice discount. I'm glad for you that you like Thorin's sword!

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 19 2015, 9:15pm

Post #3 of 11 (2758 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! (: [In reply to] Can't Post

It's never good to feel cheated when you've dropped significant money on a collectable, even at a nice discount. I'm glad for you that you like Thorin's sword!

Re feeling let down - oh, yes, that's happened to me. The discount wasn't all that greatUnsure - 5% and *sigh* I bet at some point I could have done betterUnsure - but, there was free shipping and I get nervous that a lot of Hobbit collectibles will get more difficult to find, or having to pay up-prices on the secondary market.

So definitely, even it was a splurge for meShocked, I'm happy to pay for something that makes me happySmile, and is IMO good quality for its price point. LOL right now it's laying on a rug re the weight, better get it back in the box until I can do a good mounting job. On a wall stud and NOT above the fish tank, just in case.Cool

CFGriffith
The Shire

Dec 21 2015, 3:28pm

Post #4 of 11 (2694 views)
Shortcut
Yay, Deathless! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yes, it's a lovely sword! I've been very happy with mine (it was given to me last Christmas by my sneaky husband). Enjoy! :)

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 21 2015, 5:11pm

Post #5 of 11 (2688 views)
Shortcut
*Smiles* It is! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yes, it's a lovely sword! I've been very happy with mine (it was given to me last Christmas by my sneaky husband). Enjoy! :)

Orcrist gets a lot of attention, rightfully IMO, it's a beautiful designHeart - but so is Deathless IMO - having it in hand, it is just so "right" re a dwarf aestheticHeart - another beautiful design. LOL Thorin has 3 gorgeous swords in these films - it's good to be king.Cool

I am definitely enjoying DeathlessTongue and glad I finally took the plunge (what a great husbandSmile, to get you something meaningful and wonderful!)

CFGriffith
The Shire

Dec 21 2015, 6:21pm

Post #6 of 11 (2682 views)
Shortcut
His fault [In reply to] Can't Post

It's my husband's fault that I'm such a Thorin (and dwarf) fan now... hahah! So I'm sure he bought it for himself just as much as he did for me (and he couldn't keep his hands off it for a long time -- I'd find him holding it. It looked VERY handsome in his hands *eyebrow waggle and grin*). :)

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 21 2015, 10:06pm

Post #7 of 11 (2678 views)
Shortcut
LOL - plz post [In reply to] Can't Post

What happens when you announce you want a Thorin standee AND Thorin's "Regal Sword" for the holidays.WinkCoolAngelicEvil

CFGriffith
The Shire

Dec 22 2015, 5:24pm

Post #8 of 11 (2659 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

If he had the money to get those (and other things), he probably would! :D

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 22 2015, 11:28pm

Post #9 of 11 (2648 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes - bills! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that I had my early Christmas present - well worth it, but now I have to pay it off!

Happily it's the holidays with lots of free food around EvilCool

CFGriffith
The Shire

Dec 22 2015, 11:41pm

Post #10 of 11 (2643 views)
Shortcut
Foooooooooood..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ohhhh myyyy... don't get me started on that. I desperately need to drop weight so I can fit in my old costumes (corsets and stays, and I don't want to make new ones LOL)... but this time o' year, I don't mind that my mother-in-law LOVES to make sure we're well-fed.

YUM! (and is it silly that I had just said that very thing not half an hour ago to my husband, that I was looking forward to our little family gathering and stuffing our faces? Ha!)

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 24 2015, 12:47am

Post #11 of 11 (2626 views)
Shortcut
One word for this time of year: Spandex [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides, any diet book is going to tell you to "treat yourself" so just think of the next few days as your "treat days".Evil

Plus, we can do arm exercises with Deathless.CoolLaugh

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.