Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Interview with Michael Pellerin (producer of LotR/TH Appendices)!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheHutt
Gondor

Dec 13 2015, 9:19am

Post #1 of 36 (2174 views)
Shortcut
Interview with Michael Pellerin (producer of LotR/TH Appendices)! Can't Post

At blu-ray.com forums, there was a user who conducted a 1-hour long interview with Michael Pellerin. He had to say a lot of interesting stuff on both LOTR and The Hobbit. Here is the entire podcast:

http://geekleagueofamerica.com/...t-bonchael-pellerin/

And here a transcription of selected bits:

http://geekleagueofamerica.com/2015/12/09/21324/

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

LSF
Gondor

Dec 13 2015, 9:39am

Post #2 of 36 (2053 views)
Shortcut
The question now [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose the question now is how long we have to wait for the super box set with all that extra stuff Wink

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2015, 11:21am

Post #3 of 36 (2019 views)
Shortcut
I mega told this was to happen [In reply to] Can't Post

a lot of naysayers claimed it wont. But the fact is that behind the curtain this is a more than possible thing to happen.
The other day I saw the Superman II Richard Donner´s cut. A version that has been restored in 2006 with original footage unused as the director intended it to be. Same goes to King Kong 1933 from wich 70 years later there is a version with more scenes included. To describe two examples.

So this is very likely to happen.

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to The Battle for the Fifth Trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

There and Back Again Traveller

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 13 2015, 11:34am

Post #4 of 36 (2017 views)
Shortcut
Not good [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say, I'll feel a bit cheated if a 'box set' comes out with yet more footage, which should really have been in the EEs (if not, to be honest, in the cinema releases of the films, particularly BofTA, which certainly had several key elements that were unfinished or not expanded enough on, despite what apologists for the films say). Unimpressed

As a money-making exercise for Warner and the film-makers such a strategy is fine, I suppose, but it stinks as far as I'm concerned.Mad I think I'll probably give it a miss for this reason – and besides, once they get around to doing this, the vast majority of people will have forgotten about these films.Angelic

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2015, 12:58pm

Post #5 of 36 (1985 views)
Shortcut
I would feel cheated aswell [In reply to] Can't Post

but I dont think this that people will forget this movies so easely

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 13 2015, 2:56pm

Post #6 of 36 (1948 views)
Shortcut
Nice - thank you so much [In reply to] Can't Post

THIS:

I didn’t expect people to take our work, manipulate it out of context, and use it sort of in a salacious kind of, sensationalist way to support their opinion. “I don’t like the movie, so I’m going to take what I can from this and create a sound byte and use it support my opinion.” I hope that this doesn’t make (other filmmakers) gun-shy from being open with the public because you can see why it would. …Whereas if you do watch the show, you can see, oh my god, this is really cool what happened. Look what they are up against, look what they did, look at the steps they took, and here’s where they ended up. Now, whether you like the movie or not, that’s another story. That’s a subjective story.

*Rant*
The slams from snark media looking to sling some dirt were a source of profound disgust for meMadMadMad. An experienced director like Sir Peter saying "he's making it up" is like me, for instance, saying I am winging it slapping together a flat-pack big box cheap bookcase. Because I've built a LOT of those, and I know what I'm doing, really. I know what to do when a cheap screw strips out and the holes don't line up and how to add extra bracing and fix the uglies. So watching the Appendices the picture to me looks exactly like an experienced director who has a lot going on without the leisurely planning he might have liked (which doesn't guarantee anything anyway re a movieFrown - any movie can bomb with a big splat like a bug on a windshield no matter how much planning you doUnimpressed). An experienced director who dealt with an issue in IMO a mature and professional way, and I don't see what the big deal isUnimpressed. Filming battle sequences and key scenes with a break between - so what? IMO since these films are a big cash cow for WB, Warner Brothers rightfully IMO - because it's good for business - SHOULD give PJ & co. as much time as he needed. What happened to the early articles where PJ was already saying that the nature of films was such, that pick-ups were always part of the planning from the beginning?Mad
*End rant*

Anyway, I have no objection to WB releasing re-mastered material with hopefully more scenes - in my case, hopefully more Hobbit scenesTongueTongueTongue! It's been said of course this kind of thing is just a money grab, but nobody forces anyone to buy, and I don't buy that many films anyway. There's not many films I watch over and over, and want to keep on the shelves. I just hope that for these kinds of re-masterings it's truly a labor of love (as well as for sales) with lovely packaging worthy of the films. Tongue

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 13 2015, 3:04pm

Post #7 of 36 (1943 views)
Shortcut
Admirably summarized [In reply to] Can't Post

I concur, on both points.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 13 2015, 3:26pm

Post #8 of 36 (1917 views)
Shortcut
Me too.... // [In reply to] Can't Post

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 13 2015, 6:16pm

Post #9 of 36 (1845 views)
Shortcut
A PJ directed BTS docmentary? Yes please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Make a trilogy and call it Unfinished Tales. Include deleted scenes in as complete condition as possible. Would pay many pennies for that.

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 13 2015, 6:24pm

Post #10 of 36 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Me three, and there is never enough time [In reply to] Can't Post

in the creative process, is there? There is always someone to say "stop now". In film there are production schedules, premiere screenings and just the limit of how long an audience will sit in a theatre, in addition to the need to cut out tangents that don't take the story where it needs to go no matter how cool they are. Only successful films, and these are successful films, would even get the hint of a possibility of putting out a later version with even more cool but perhaps not initially necessary scenes included.

Peter Jackson and crew are gifted, intense story tellers first and foremost, which has allowed them enough cash to make pretty much the films they want to make. If they choose to spend more time in their, hopefully, long careers tweaking and adding to this one pet project - a project everybody here has a similar intense interest in - then hooray! And no matter how long down the road, I'll buy it. Not everybody who saw the movies will, but that's not why they are hoping to make an extended extended version. They just want more time. Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 13 2015, 6:49pm

Post #11 of 36 (1824 views)
Shortcut
Yes.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And like you, I want them to have the time, lots and lots of it.

I love the way they throw themselves into the stories and explore so many possibilities - things they might show, things they could develop, adding a bit here, tweaking a bit there. It's never about cutting corners to make as much money as possible on the smallest possible effort. It's about doing the thing well for its own sake, no half measures, and I really appreicate that. And if it's true that they're contemplating a super-extended version one day then I'm all for it!

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 13 2015, 8:38pm

Post #12 of 36 (1758 views)
Shortcut
Hear hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's never about cutting corners to make as much money as possible on the smallest possible effort. It's about doing the thing well for its own sake, no half measures, and I really appreicate that.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 14 2015, 1:29am

Post #13 of 36 (1661 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic find! Great to hear of all of the remaining material. [In reply to] Can't Post

squiggle
Rivendell

Dec 14 2015, 4:11am

Post #14 of 36 (1628 views)
Shortcut
Yes & No [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think AUJ & DOS ees need any extra scenes, to me they are perfect cuts in how they fit together and content.

I will be picking up BoTF ee in coming week, for much enjoyment & appreciation of this completed singular fantasy adventure trilogy. From what i have gathered how BoTF ee is, that taking it with the previous two ees provides enough to extrapolate on possible ideas relating to the more open ended narrative thread conclusions - that just gives a slightly more window in time documentary feel about the story and am sure it will work like this fine in a satisfying way. An additional, extended cut for BoTF armies would also be of value to me, in having a different style to it's conclusion but i will be perfectly happy with it's current form too.

FoTR is quite like AUJ & DOS ee, in that i would be wary of a new, &/or greater extended cut, detracting from it's overall feel & cohesiveness.

On the otherhand, alternative TTT & RoTK ees could be really cool or interesting.

Tongue

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Dec 14 2015, 6:15am

Post #15 of 36 (1600 views)
Shortcut
About DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ doesn't need extra scenes, but DOS really needs some scenes:
-The palantir scene
-The Dwarves passing through Dale
-The Morgul blade frisking scene
DOS is almost perfect, but it would be absolutely brilliant if these scenes were added.

TheHutt
Gondor

Dec 14 2015, 6:41am

Post #16 of 36 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Not really. [In reply to] Can't Post

All of them are rather expendable.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 14 2015, 6:50am

Post #17 of 36 (1583 views)
Shortcut
I don't get the impression Pellerin means there will be a super-extended edition of all 6 movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think AUJ & DOS ees need any extra scenes, to me they are perfect cuts in how they fit together and content.

Granted I haven't listened to the entire podcast, but judging by the transcripted parts of the interview it doesn't seem to me that Pellerin thinks there will be future extended editions of the Middle-earth movies. I get the impression that there will be just be a future boxset with these deleted scenes as one of the DVD extras.

Or am I missing something?

LSF
Gondor

Dec 14 2015, 6:54am

Post #18 of 36 (1577 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

That was the impression I got too, only reason the transcript part. Deleted scenes and more behind the scenes

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 14 2015, 12:49pm

Post #19 of 36 (1520 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

though I will say that I did take away from the Comic-Con panel for BOTFA that he wasn't against a super extended edition of the films.

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 14 2015, 1:37pm

Post #20 of 36 (1503 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about super-extended. But I'd love an alternative cut... [In reply to] Can't Post

Where you rebuild the entire movie using alternative shots/takes. Michel Gondry did it with one of his films (I think The Science of Sleep) and both the Anchorman movies have also done this. None of the footage is from the original movie, it gets rebuilt entirely out of unused takes and deleted scenes - so it's effectively a completely different movie. Of course, for LotR that would be incredibly expensive. But hypothetically I'd love to see it. Especially for The Hobbit.

Imladris18
Lorien

Dec 14 2015, 6:14pm

Post #21 of 36 (1436 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this. [In reply to] Can't Post

This was super interesting and exciting to hear what we may have to look forward to down the road.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 15 2015, 12:10pm

Post #22 of 36 (1325 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Remembering these discussions, however, I remember most people not claiming it won't happen, just questioning how earnest/joking and concrete/vague PJ & Co were when they spoke about it.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 15 2015, 12:23pm

Post #23 of 36 (1319 views)
Shortcut
Well I´m not talking about most people exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

But clearly there was like two sides, the ones who clearly see this happening and the ones that plainly denied this possibility. As a matter of fact we were based in things that happened with other films in the past like Superman 2 of Rrichard Donner that not only got remastered but added new scenes turning it in an not almost but quite a different film.

In my personal opinion I tend to be against those who "swear" some things are impossible. Llike filming LOTR, or that PJ would not be able to make changes someday. May it not happen, but its not impossible.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 15 2015, 12:57pm

Post #24 of 36 (1313 views)
Shortcut
there were two sides... [In reply to] Can't Post

One being very positive about a relatively soon Super EE and those not denying the possibility but underlining that many times people spoke about it it was either vague or in a joking matter, not even mentioning the costs behind such a project and the question for WB what they would gain etc.

I must have overread those saying "It is impossible".

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2015, 8:32am

Post #25 of 36 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Yes indeed! Ditto... // [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.