Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
100 Ithilien Rangers and 100 Gondor Soldiers w/spears vs. 200 Roman Legionaires (100 with bows)

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Apr 17 2008, 3:13pm

Post #1 of 21 (9572 views)
Shortcut
100 Ithilien Rangers and 100 Gondor Soldiers w/spears vs. 200 Roman Legionaires (100 with bows) Can't Post

Ok, so the same lineup as before, archers behind soldiers, the soldiers charge as archers fire. Who wins this one?

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Apr 18 2008, 1:24am

Post #2 of 21 (4902 views)
Shortcut
My money's on the Romans [In reply to] Can't Post

The Roman legion had this srange marching formation they did called the "turtle" or "Tortoise" or something like that. Anyway what they did, was take their tower shields and interlock them across the front and sides and over their heads ( http://www.roman-empire.net/army/testudo.html ) the pic doesn't show all of the variations od this whereas some acounts say that the romans had their pilums through the cracks so that they could keep the enemy back a bit. This would negate the effectivness of the Rangers arrows. Then the Roman archers (not technicaly Legionaries), would thin the ranks of the Gondorians, the Romans would open up the ranks after the Gondorians were so close that the archers would have to stop, and bingo, bango, the melee begings and the supirior numbers take effect. Also I would like to point out that all though the Rangers would probably mobilize to reenforce their Gondorian allies, they would have to make it through a hail of arrows from the romans unarmored. Also the roman stratagies would probably overtake the likely flat-wall charge from the Gondorians. ( http://numbera.com/...trategy/legform.aspx )

Eglario Valar!

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Apr 19 2008, 2:34pm

Post #3 of 21 (4795 views)
Shortcut
But then read Padster's [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot to specify that the Roman archers are MERCS. Mercenaries. Anyway, if we substitute back in the Citadel Guards, then I think the Gondorians win. But the regular soldiers, nah. And we're talking book Guards, not movie Guards.

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Apr 19 2008, 6:49pm

Post #4 of 21 (5013 views)
Shortcut
Roman or mecenary [In reply to] Can't Post

It realy doesn't matter weither the archers are Roman or not, combat archers all basicly serve the same function. You don't actually aim when your in the ranks, you mass together and rain arrows down on the enemy. I assume that the Legion in question is the typical movie Legion in the lorica segmentata, in such case the archs of that perion wore the lorica hamata (chain maile) as would mecenary troups of that era.

Eglario Valar!

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Apr 21 2008, 3:12pm

Post #5 of 21 (4905 views)
Shortcut
Wait just a minute [In reply to] Can't Post

But the Gondorians are moving. Aren't moving targets a lot harder than stationary targets? Surely archers aren't just there to aim in the air. Archers are archers, and well trained archers should be able to hit a moving target with ease, but not by shooting up towards the sky.

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Apr 21 2008, 8:20pm

Post #6 of 21 (4898 views)
Shortcut
Combat archery [In reply to] Can't Post

Combat archery is a lot different than standard archery. Out side of the normal imparctical nature of having 100 good shots in one group, there are other factors. Such factors include the confusion of war; imagine if you will how hard it would be for the archers to pick their target. You know that you would end up having several people shooting one person. Then there are the formations, you'd have to have one long line in order for the archers to be effective if they were aiming every shot. The aiming alone would slow down the rate of fire (since we are talking about European archery tactics). Good examples of combat archery can be seen in shuch movies as; Gladiator (the opening battle), LotRTT (Helms Deep [the elves shooting over the wall]), and I think there are some instances in Braveheart (a good movie but I laugh about the historical accuracy in some points).

Eglario Valar!

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Apr 22 2008, 4:10pm

Post #7 of 21 (4858 views)
Shortcut
Yah [In reply to] Can't Post

But.....that's what I was trying to say. I don't think that one guy shooting at another is going to kill him. I think several shots are required to shoot moving enemy soldiers, when the archers are behind the first rank of their own soldiers. But I don't think it'd be too hard to kill them if the archers had skill. They wouldn't just shoot randomly into the air to try and hit something. They'd still be able to see their targets, and they would have to arch their shots a bit, but still, the more skill, the better chance of hitting something. Right?

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Apr 22 2008, 6:53pm

Post #8 of 21 (4920 views)
Shortcut
Continued archery [In reply to] Can't Post

The skill involved with combat archery is judging distances, allowance for the wind, and firing shots quickly. You're aiming at massed groups, not individual targets. A rainstorm of arrows in a large group= hits if not kills (you don't have to kill with the arrows at first, between trampling and trying to fight wounded either way the odds are bad). There is specialized training involved, but when it gets right down to it, anyone can be a combat archer. I do know that if certain people read this I'll be a target at my next event, but that's my opinion. Skill will help as far as the combat is concerned, but Romans only hired mercenaries when they felt they needed expendible troops or if they felt the merenaries had more skill than their own specialized troops. In other words, they only hired GREAT archers or professional arrow catchersWink Again I recomend you watch some of the movies I mentioned. I almost frogot the Kingdom of Heaven, the archery in that is for wall defence, but it's interesting none the less.

Eglario Valar!

numenor888
The Shire

May 7 2008, 2:01am

Post #9 of 21 (4886 views)
Shortcut
lets see [In reply to] Can't Post

i think it will be close
but u forget that this r ithillen ranger not ur average archer so they have the skill to d indiviual shots
and u forgot that they r also sword fighters

The risky Ranger
Numenor

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

May 7 2008, 3:29pm

Post #10 of 21 (4795 views)
Shortcut
All archers [In reply to] Can't Post

carry some type of melee weapon, otherwise they would be usless after lines were over run. It would be close, but I think that the archers would cancle eachother out since the ones with the Romans are mecinaries and therefore more skilled than the standard Roman archers. It's also not really a skill thing with the individual shots, (although I chuckle at the thought of 2 archers on the battlements of a castle taking bets on who can drop the general), it's a matter of tactics. The meshing of fire increases the dammage when we're talking about these numbers.

Eglario Valar!
Sid Didymous' arms

(This post was edited by SmeagoloftheStoors on May 7 2008, 3:36pm)

numenor888
The Shire

May 12 2008, 9:41pm

Post #11 of 21 (4773 views)
Shortcut
hey [In reply to] Can't Post

well its a tie i say no1 is left alive

The risky Ranger
Numenor

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

May 12 2008, 9:45pm

Post #12 of 21 (4718 views)
Shortcut
Alright then, we'll call it a draw. Come, Patsy! (NT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Eglario Valar!
It's me!
It's me!

numenor888
The Shire

May 13 2008, 9:03pm

Post #13 of 21 (4718 views)
Shortcut
hahha [In reply to] Can't Post

i win

The risky Ranger
Numenor

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

May 13 2008, 9:13pm

Post #14 of 21 (4835 views)
Shortcut
You win... [In reply to] Can't Post

because I'm content with everyone dying. That just sounds wrong coming from a minister.Crazy

Eglario Valar!
It's me!
It's me!

numenor888
The Shire

May 14 2008, 9:54pm

Post #15 of 21 (4815 views)
Shortcut
what r u talking about [In reply to] Can't Post

im still alive idjit so i win

The risky Ranger
Numenor

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

May 15 2008, 8:22pm

Post #16 of 21 (4720 views)
Shortcut
I'm replying out of... [In reply to] Can't Post

boredom. I don't really think I need to explain that I was in reference to everyone dying in the hypothetical situation presented here.

Eglario Valar!
It's me!
It's me!

numenor888
The Shire

May 19 2008, 9:59pm

Post #17 of 21 (4778 views)
Shortcut
whatever [In reply to] Can't Post

The risky Ranger
Numenor

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

May 20 2008, 12:56am

Post #18 of 21 (4769 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen a diagonal line this long in one thread. (NT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Eglario Valar!
It's me!
It's me!

Gondorian_Ranger
Rivendell

Jul 15 2008, 6:42am

Post #19 of 21 (4901 views)
Shortcut
The answer's in the name, my friends. [In reply to] Can't Post

"The city of Osgiliath has been reclaimed, FOR GONDOR!"

numenor888
The Shire

Sep 2 2008, 9:06pm

Post #20 of 21 (9820 views)
Shortcut
go [In reply to] Can't Post

hey

The risky Ranger
Numenor

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 4:02pm

Post #21 of 21 (4012 views)
Shortcut
romans go down [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.