Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - a grower or a sinker?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2015, 7:18am

Post #51 of 70 (534 views)
Shortcut
I meant "golden HAIR" of course!...// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2015, 7:22am

Post #52 of 70 (534 views)
Shortcut
Ditto!... Except, I don't have money at all!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

So, no betting...Sly
But otherwise I fully agree with all you say. Thank you for completing my own post in such a beautiful way... Smile

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2015, 7:26am

Post #53 of 70 (539 views)
Shortcut
Agree happily with all those moments [In reply to] Can't Post

you describe so nicely... Thank you for fleshing out what I said! And with the required photos too!!! Tongue

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2015, 7:36am

Post #54 of 70 (539 views)
Shortcut
I didn't mention especially Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

and falling in love with him too, for I knew I could count on dear Avendel and Kilidoescartwheels to take care of that more beautifully than I ever could, with great pics of the magnificent Thorin rather than my mere words!... Angelic Wink
Thanks for THIS picture, btw... *swoon*
But I must say I am really in a strange inner condition, being in love not only with Bilbo and Thorin, but with Thranduil as well...!!! Blush Yes, pity my poor me ... or envy me perhaps!!! Cool

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Dec 10 2015, 7:38am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2015, 7:54am

Post #55 of 70 (528 views)
Shortcut
Ditto for the OST!... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 10 2015, 11:28am

Post #56 of 70 (512 views)
Shortcut
Aha! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Are you mocking our iccint? Shocking. Laugh

Are you Ligolas? TongueWinkSmile Or perhaps you are Schmaug?

(Actually, I really like New Zealanders – and their accents.)Smile

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Dec 10 2015, 11:32am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2015, 11:29am

Post #57 of 70 (516 views)
Shortcut
Well, I see 'The Hobbit' getting [In reply to] Can't Post

a HUGE quiet fan base within the next few years... Sly

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Dec 10 2015, 11:30am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 10 2015, 11:32am

Post #58 of 70 (504 views)
Shortcut
So do I... :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2015, 11:37am

Post #59 of 70 (506 views)
Shortcut
Your AUJ EE scenes are my favorite too... [In reply to] Can't Post

and all you say afterwards I resonate with deeply too, thank you for expressing all this, which I didn't say because there is just so much to say about those films I love dearly...

moreorless
Gondor

Dec 10 2015, 12:59pm

Post #60 of 70 (509 views)
Shortcut
Generally I think all the films will be growers [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally my view is give it a few more years and all of the Hobbit films will likely be growers in the world at large. Now they might not be the equals of LOTR but I think a lot of factors driving dislike of them will likely diminish with time...

1.Expectation - The hype from LOTR pushed expectations so high that almost anything would have been a disappointment, this will obviously dimish with time. Ontop of that as well lots of people had already imagined "their Hobbit" which again Jackson was unlikely to replicate exactly and this too will probably diminish with time.

2.Dark/Gritty = Cool - Jacksons LOTR itself could be viewed as partly responsible for launching this trend(although the Matrix moreso IMHO) but ironically the man himself didn't follow it making a series of larger than life blockbusters in Kong and the Hobbit. I suspect with time this trend will pass and people will see that Jacksons films have an emotional weight and character to them lacking in a lot of recent "gritty" blockbuster fare.

3.The Prequel Culture - In the years post LOTR I think that picking apart the obvious flaws of Lucas's starwars prequels became a culture unto itself and I think the Hobbit films as similar prequels with talk of a "cash in" had a feeding frenzy from it even before release that will likely die down with time.

4.3D Backlash - Avatar was a massive sugar trip that the movie going public seemed to get hooked on and the come down and realisation that it actually seemed to have been based on the doodles at the back of a 13 year old girls schoolbook led to a general backlash against 3D, I think Tron Legacy(a vastly better film than Avatar for me) copped a lot of it as well.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Dec 10 2015, 1:02pm)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2015, 1:07pm

Post #61 of 70 (490 views)
Shortcut
*Tearing up, alas...* [In reply to] Can't Post

You said all this so well, the poignancy of it all, precisely, pierced my heart again...
That's exactly it for me: those films made me simply love these 'characters', made them a part of my own life, and I can hardly forgive JRRT for having so lightly killed them off in the little book, forcing PJ to do the same... but in the book it didn't matter too much, those boys we didn't really know; but in the films, I had come to like them both so much their death was devastating to watch, and the loss of them left a real hole in my life. Heart

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 10 2015, 2:13pm

Post #62 of 70 (480 views)
Shortcut
Looking at your four points.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they reinforce my own feeling about these films. Each of them is more about the mindset of the audience than in is about the film itself.

LSF
Gondor

Dec 10 2015, 2:40pm

Post #63 of 70 (465 views)
Shortcut
Neither, I think [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember really liking AUJ when I saw it in theaters. Other than loving the EE more, I don't think I like AUJ any better or worse than I already did after seeing the other two.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 10 2015, 2:45pm

Post #64 of 70 (466 views)
Shortcut
I would have to agree [In reply to] Can't Post

with how you're looking at the possible road ahead.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Dec 10 2015, 2:55pm

Post #65 of 70 (457 views)
Shortcut
In terms of the general perception. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just bought the Radio Times for the Christmas period. AUJ is on over the holidays, and the review basically says: grumble grumble grumble watch this film it's great grumble grumble grumble.

These already are much loved films with the public, and now even the critics are having to admit there are enough good bits to make them overall worthwhile.

My first viewing of AUJ was almost totally ruined by the HFR. My summary would have been:

Ooh, Erebor looks good!
Ooh, Bag End looks good!
Azog: "Aaaaarghhhh!"
Thorin: "Nooooooooo!"
Azog: "Aaaaaaaaaargh!"
Timmy Mallet (bad UK children's tv presenter) turns up, crosses eyes, blows smoke through ears and spits out insects.
Elves
Giants! Dwarves and Bilbo: "Aaaaargh!"
Thorin: "Nooooooooo!"
Goblin Town: Chase sequence to Benny Hill music.
Good bit with Gollum in it.
Azog: "Aaaaaaargh!"
Thorin: "Noooooooooo!"
Azog: "Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!"
Balin: "Nooooooooo!"
Eagles
End.

When I watched it without HFR, the bad bits somehow seemed less annoying, and I was able to largely ignore them. Result was a thoroughly engaging film, which has mostly grown on me. And doesn't have Xena... er Tauriel in it.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 10 2015, 6:39pm

Post #66 of 70 (430 views)
Shortcut
Poor comfort, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to TORn membersSmile, way back - well, in learning more about the Norse culture that Tolkien evidently base the dwarf culture on, and other warrior cultures, evidently in the book Thorin's suicidal charge and Fili and Kili's dying to protect him was in fact, correct. E.g., it wasn't something Tolkien did lightly.Frown

On the other hand, at my first viewing of BOFA which was pretty *startling*Shocked as I had been "in quarantine" (tho someone had wafted a warning to me without spoiling) - well, I wasn't expecting the canon derailments at allShocked. Er.

*Shrug* - in spirit I suppose the fates of the Durins remains intact in the films, especially with the stunning work of Martin Freeman and Richard ArmitageHeart; but IMO if things can get derailed to that degree by a major award-winning fillmmaker, then I don't see why I can't rearrange things in my head for an IMO more satisfactory scenario *grins*Evil. And depending on one's focus, I'm not sure keeping the canon endings intact more or less functions, really.Unsure

E.g. at least some of the audience comes to care for the Durins so much that with them gone - well, I was too shell-shocked to notice much, or care, that Bilbo got home. Martin Freeman is amazing but it's like my head was still at Erebor. So I'm not sure how well that worked outUnsure, given the flat silence of the audiences in the theaters I was at, at the end - e.g., if the movies ARE ultimately about Bilbo, perhaps it would have been, ironically, better, to have left his friends alive. I also wonder if BOFA might have made even more money, e.g. with more repeat views.Unsure

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 11 2015, 12:07am

Post #67 of 70 (388 views)
Shortcut
It's my favorite of the three. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have watched the theatrical version several times and the extended version at least twice. Whereas I still haven't seen the EE of the third film, and at this point, I'm not sure I'm going to.

With all three of the films, my first viewing was spent mostly just trying not to roll my eyeballs out of my head at what they did to the story. I enjoyed them all much better the second time, when I wasn't being so badly shocked by what I was seeing. But I can't claim that any of them "grew on me" after that second viewing.

And I have no particular desire to see any of them again, to be honest.

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

Kim
Valinor

Dec 11 2015, 3:27am

Post #68 of 70 (365 views)
Shortcut
I loved it on the first viewing, and it's only grown from there [In reply to] Can't Post

My first reaction after seeing it for the first time was, "that was fun, when can we see it again?" I loved falling back into Middle-earth with the initial scenes, then immediately getting whisked off to somewhere new in the prologue. Seeing a dwarf kingdom in it's heyday was fantastic - I love the green stone and just got a better feel for that kingdom compared to Moria (gray and just rows and rows of columns without really a sense of a city). And the attack of the dragon was perfect - just enough hints of Smaug, but plenty of the devastation he caused.

I loved the Good Morning scene between Bilbo and Gandalf, and basically all of the rest of Hobbiton and Bag End (especially with the EE addition of the market scene). I very happily settled in to watch the introduction of the familiar location, and then all of those dwarves! My favorite of course is the singing of Misty Mountains Cold - I loved that from the first teaser trailer, and watched it over and over after I got the TE.

Once we left Bag End, we were off on an adventure to lands that were familiar, yet different. I loved the progression of the story and absolutely love the vibrant visuals. It's just such a stunningly beautiful movie, it draws me in again every time I watch it. This is a movie I will most definitely watch over and over.

I will echo dormouse's comments that my experience has changed somewhat since seeing BOFA - there are certain scenes that are bittersweet verging on sad since I've now seen what's to come, especially for Fili, Kili and Thorin. The final scene on the Carrock is much more poignant - the initial reaction was a smile and a laugh, but now... Still, this is my favorite of all of the M-e movies. EvilHeart

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2015, 4:02am

Post #69 of 70 (358 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. You nailed it!...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Noria
Gondor

Dec 11 2015, 1:06pm

Post #70 of 70 (338 views)
Shortcut
A grower, if anything. [In reply to] Can't Post

After my first viewing of AUJ I loved it but there was something lacking: it was not LotR the prequel. Once I realized for real that this was The Hobbit not LotR and my feeling was my problem rather than Peter Jackson's, I was free to enjoy the movie for what it is and my liking of it grew even greater.

Now, having seen all three movies, I appreciate AUJ more as one part of the whole.

The things I dislike (the Goblin King) I have become accustomed to and just let slide by.

The things I love (Bag End, Rivendell and other stuff), I love more.

And the above is exactly what I would say about any of the LotR movies (except for the prequel part).

I think that DoS is still my favourite of the three films by a hair but my love of AUJ hasn't diminished.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.