The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
lord of the nazgul

balbo biggins
Rohan

Dec 6 2015, 11:46pm

Post #1 of 4 (691 views)
Shortcut
lord of the nazgul Can't Post

when the lord of the nazgul arrives in minis tirith after the first wall is breached, he is on a horse, when does he change to the foul beast, i really should check th ebook, but thought id throw it out here!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 7 2015, 1:58am

Post #2 of 4 (684 views)
Shortcut
Nobody says. [In reply to] Can't Post

My mental picture is of an orcish groom standing under a tree somewhere with the Fell Beast, and Wiki rides up on the black horse and makes a quick switch. Really not very logical, though, from his POV. Why would he ride a horse on an active battle field with a Beast available? This one of the few instances where I though Jackson actually got it basically right, although he botched the actual confrontation and then cut it. Mad

balbo biggins
Rohan

Dec 7 2015, 2:04am

Post #3 of 4 (683 views)
Shortcut
really, no one says? [In reply to] Can't Post

i suppose he doesnt need the wings as its basically a siege untill rohan arrives, and too many arrows flying from the white city, then thinks he better get some air as the riders come charging. odd theres no real explanation.

was reading the two towers last night and he leaves mina morgul on a horse and theres no mention of the flying beasts when everyones crossing the bridge.

come to think of it i need to re read the siege of gondor, were there even other ringwraithes or flying beasts at the battle?

(This post was edited by balbo biggins on Dec 7 2015, 2:13am)

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Dec 7 2015, 10:27pm

Post #4 of 4 (652 views)
Shortcut
I always thought the opposite [In reply to] Can't Post

I envision the Witch King's choice of steed at the breaking of gate as strictly a vanity move - something to keep the focus on him in 'his hour', and then Rohan screws it all up.

I like most of PJ's choices, honestly, but that EE scene is not a good one for me. In addition to botching the confrontation, PJ's version leaves no plausible explanation why WiKi let Theoden raise havoc with orcs and Southrons for a solid 45 minutes before taking action. As the EE film has things organized, Theoden should not have been able to get through his speech before he was taken out.

"Now for Wrath, for Ruin, and the--GAAAAHHH!!!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.