The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
SCREENCAP OF THE DAY - "Remember today little brother"

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2008, 7:31pm

Post #1 of 11 (1231 views)
Shortcut
SCREENCAP OF THE DAY - "Remember today little brother" Can't Post

Welcome back to Screencap of the Day! Today we continue our look into the past of Faramir and Boromir . . . with three screencaps! (I can guess one person who'll be happy to see multi-screencaps) Wink

1.) Regarding the first two screencaps, what can you imagine is going through Faramir's mind? Does him letting the boat pass (in one of the following shots) show an act of denial?

2.) These first moments we see of David Wenham as Faramir are very well expressed. What do you think of his expression at the sight of his dead brother? Is it hard to look at? Does it give you a bad feeling in the pit of your stomach? . . . Anything at all?

3.) The fact that Boromir went over the Falls of Rauros in FOTR and remains inside the boat is kind of disbelieving. Is this perhaps a symbol, or is it just by chance?

4.) In the third screencap, we see a moment of brotherly love between Faramir and Boromir. Everytime we've seen these two characters, they've had a darker and more serious tone. What kind of feeling did you get when you first saw this moment?

5.) Does the fact that there is so much happiness in this moment tell us that something bad is about to happen (although we know there is)?

6.) What do you think of the overall transition from a dark and depressing moment, to a bright and happy one?

7.) Any other comments?

BONUS QUESTION: Does the moment of celebration ever make you want to stand up and cheer? . . . It sure makes me want to. Laugh

Ash nazg durbatulūk, Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

My Upcoming Discussion Leads:

SCREENCAP OF THE DAY: Week of April 14th
THE TWO TOWERS READING DISCUSSION: The Uruk-Hai - April 21st-27th

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Apr 16 2008, 7:33pm)

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2008, 7:52pm

Post #2 of 11 (937 views)
Shortcut
Wow! You sure know how to pick the Screencaps! [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) Regarding the first two screencaps, what can you imagine is going through Faramir's mind? Does him letting the boat pass (in one of the following shots) show an act of denial?
I think his initial reaction is shock, & horror. He's been wondering what's happened to Boromir ever since he left for Rivendell, and to discover his death must've been a terrible blow. I'm not sure if he's in denial, I think it's fear & disbelief that let the boat past. He may well be wondering if it's real, or just an apparition.

2.) These first moments we see of David Wenham as Faramir are very well expressed. What do you think of his expression at the sight of his dead brother? Is it hard to look at? Does it give you a bad feeling in the pit of your stomach? . . . Anything at all?
I feel so bad for him! Faramir has lost his hero in life, and his grief is all too apparant.

3.) The fact that Boromir went over the Falls of Rauros in FOTR and remains inside the boat is kind of disbelieving. Is this perhaps a symbol, or is it just by chance?
I've never been sure one way or the other whether Boromir in the boat is real, or just a ghostly vision. But personally, I like to think it is real, and some higher power, or maybe even the river itself, kept his body in the boat over the falls, in order to ensure his safe delivery to the sea.

4.) In the third screencap, we see a moment of brotherly love between Faramir and Boromir. Everytime we've seen these two characters, they've had a darker and more serious tone. What kind of feeling did you get when you first saw this moment?
I love this scene! I was so glad it was included in the EE, just because I think, in order to have a better understanding of what Faramir is going thru, it's essential that you get to see the two of them together, as brothers. So you get an idea of their relationship. It's also a good opportunity to see each of their relationships with their father, which is of course, a key part of the overall story. I always enjoy watching this scene, Faramir's admiration for his older brother is so evident, as is Boromir's love for him.

5.) Does the fact that there is so much happiness in this moment tell us that something bad is about to happen (although we know there is)?
Well, I already knew something bad was coming, (anyone watching would know that Boromir was long since dead), but I did think it was good to be able to see some happiness in Gondor. Apart from this scene, the odds are always stacked firmly against them, and you wonder how they could possibly be victorious. But getting a glimpse of this victory gives the viewer hope- there is still strength left in Gondor, they just need the right person to lead them.

6.) What do you think of the overall transition from a dark depressing moment, to a bright and happy one?
I think it was realistically done... after all, anyone who has lost someone close to them will often sit and remember better times. It's part of the grieving process. And those happy memories are all we have left of them. It's almost like Faramir was trying to wish himself back into that moment at Osgiliath, so he can be with Boromir once again, and perhaps stop him from leaving.

7.) Any other comments?
Not really, except once again, excellent screencap choices! And yes, it sure did make me want to stand up and cheer, and break out the ale!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 17 2008, 12:53am

Post #3 of 11 (932 views)
Shortcut
Look at Faramir's face [In reply to] Can't Post

in that first screencap. The disbelief, sadness, confusion... so incredible to see his brother like this, then he slips away. It's perfectly captured in these shots, imho!

We really needed that time with them in Osgiliath. They laugh, they celebrate, there's no competition. What's just as important is to see that Boromir is disturbed to see Denethor approach. Can't he give us a moment's peace? Just that reaction tells you that Denethor never lets them just be. Always manipulating. Always judging. Boromir must feel like a pawn so many times, and distressed at Denethor's lack of belief in Faramir. What a family. NO THANK YOU!

Thanks lots, One Ringer :D Great time travel, once again ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

_V_
Lorien

Apr 17 2008, 1:40am

Post #4 of 11 (925 views)
Shortcut
Faramir and Boromir understood [In reply to] Can't Post

without this scene you don't really know who the heck they really are; they NEEDED this scene

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 17 2008, 2:31am

Post #5 of 11 (925 views)
Shortcut
music for the dream scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Music was scored, but not used, for the dream sequence. It can be heard on the TTT fan credits and on the CR-TTT (Disc 2, track 13, Sons of the Steward, 0:59 - 1:36)

The lyrics--which I believe are 'a lin(nas)--are from "The Death of Boromir, Part 1". They are heard as we leave the dream and see the cloven horn in Faramir's hands.

JimJWare has mixed this unused music with the video from the movie and that can be viewed HERE.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

sador
Half-elven

Apr 17 2008, 9:45am

Post #6 of 11 (878 views)
Shortcut
In Brief [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) Regarding the first two screencaps, what can you imagine is going through Faramir's mind?
"An awe fell on me... I durst not handle it... I knew his gear, his sword, his beloved face... Dreamlike it was, and yet no dream, for there was no waking... my heart was filled with grief and pity".
When I saw this scene, Faramir's words in the book came to my mind. I guess that's as good a compliment as Savid Wenham could ask for.
Does him letting the boat pass (in one of the following shots) show an act of denial?
Definitely not. It is an act of faith in those who have guarded the boat.
"Whether he erred or no, of this I am sure: he died well, achieving some good thing. His face was more beautiful even than in life".
From 'The Window on the West', a couple of pages after the previous quote. Do you think it fits?
The Elves in 'Farewell to Lorien' said the boats will never sink nor flounder, such is there virtue; and later Aragorn says the boats will survive through the rapids of Sarn Gebir (but the travelers in them might not). A dead warrior is heavy, and lies ay the bottom of the boat - if the boat doesn't flounder, he will stay in. The dead Orcs' gear laid at his feet probably did - but the movie never showed us that detail.
I first saw it as a special feature in a TE DVD I've bothered from a friend. So my first thought was that it's a great idea to add in a bit of this, and that I'll really try to get the EE.
Well, we don't expect Denethor to show up, nor could we guess the last words and thoughts of Boromir before setting out, did we?
7.) Any other comments?
I've really loved the previous scene, of Boromir's speech. I wish you good have brought it as well.

But thanks a lot anyway!

"This is a bitter end to our hope and to all our toil!" - Gimli

Elven
Valinor

Apr 17 2008, 10:20am

Post #7 of 11 (878 views)
Shortcut
"Where is my first born!!" *groan* - quick hide! Dads coming! [In reply to] Can't Post

This was an wonderful sequence - though I still have trouble knowing that its a 'dummy' in the boat ...

4.) In the third screencap, we see a moment of brotherly love between Faramir and Boromir. Everytime we've seen these two characters, they've had a darker and more serious tone. What kind of feeling did you get when you first saw this moment? 5.) Does the fact that there is so much happiness in this moment tell us that something bad is about to happen (although we know there is)?

I really enjoy this scene, it is as if they have both taken their guard down and are ready to celebrate - until 'dad' arrives.
Its another bittersweet moment.
Though when I look at Faramir, and that mug of ale, I get the impression that Boromir could down a pint in under 10 seconds, and Faramir would be rolling in the street after half a glass of Apple Cider Wink

Another series of great screencaps!!
Thankyou One Ringer!

Cheers
Elven x

Amy Winehouse acquires Shire retreat for Summer ...

Amy Winehouse sells Shire retreat in Autumn ...

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2008, 10:24am

Post #8 of 11 (886 views)
Shortcut
Extended Edition . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . Yeah, I can hardly believe that this wasn't in the theatrical version.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2008, 10:26am

Post #9 of 11 (868 views)
Shortcut
It actually does fit! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember that line. It was easy to picture in my head, and it looked perfect onscreen! Smile

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 17 2008, 6:07pm

Post #10 of 11 (869 views)
Shortcut
Aha! My first convert to the multi-SCOD club! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another rule breaker -- well, there are some of us in every crowd. I'm also the kind of person you never want to get behind at a salad bar or buffet as I can never make up my mind with all those choices!

I've never been a big fan of the Sons of the Steward scene, though I know many really like it. While it rounds out the brothers' relationship with each other, and with Denethor, I prefer not "seeing" Denethor until the third film, and not being given the facts about the way he treats Faramir until ROTK. And I confess the way they talk about Denethor never feels right to me -- too modern perhaps? I'm not sure why exactly, but it bugs me...

That said, I did like seeing Faramir's vision of Boromir in the boat on screen -- it was suitably "eerie" and you could tell that it had an impact on Faramir...

Weaver

mwirkk
Rohan

Apr 17 2008, 9:01pm

Post #11 of 11 (875 views)
Shortcut
Lucid memories. [In reply to] Can't Post

[mwirkk] Yes. More like shock, disbelief, actually. He is recalling a lucid vision, and he revisits that experience as he recounts it.

[mwirkk] No. It melds well with the narrative and seems a quite natural and necessary element.

[mwirkk] Symbol yes, chance no. LotR is told to us through the lens of myth. The facts of the story do not necessarily need to be truth. Faramir's vision of Boromir need not necessarily have actually happened, but have been only a vision. Fact becomes legend, legend becomes myth, and the truth becomes irrelevant. Recovery of the Horn is a coincidental event.

[mwirkk] In which contexts are you referring to these incidents of 'a darker and more serious tone', when they appear seperately? Or just anytime one or the other, or both, are onscreen? I was happy that they did some exploration into the relationship between the brothers, and their common solidarity against their father, Denethor.

[mwirkk] No. I think it serves more as a counterpoint the reality of the current situation, enhance the sense of loss, and beter illustrate the motivations of the characters.

6.) What do you think of the overall transition from a dark and depressing moment, to a bright and happy one?
[mwirkk] It serves well to keep the timeframes seperated.

7.) Any other comments?
[mwirkk] I think there is still something missing in the movie with regards to the triad between Boromir, Faramir and Denethor. They did a serious injustice to Denethor's character by not devoting more time to his motivations and the reasons for his preciptous downfall.

BONUS QUESTION: Does the moment of celebration ever make you want to stand up and cheer? . . . It sure makes me want to.

[mwirkk] Well, I was happy. :) I don't get that excited, though, unless someone I really hate gets killed in a particularly gruesome, or otherwise specifically undesirable way. <8P

-mwirkk :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.