The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
ROTK and BOFA runtime

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Nov 29 2015, 3:46pm

Post #1 of 5 (660 views)
Shortcut
ROTK and BOFA runtime Can't Post

As much as ROTK is a masterpiece of a film, did anyone think it was a little too long? After watching it recently, personally I noticed it dragged in some parts did anyone feel the same? Also did anyone think BOFA was too short of a film? How long would've you like both of these films to be?

DainPig
Gondor

Nov 29 2015, 4:11pm

Post #2 of 5 (648 views)
Shortcut
ROTK [In reply to] Can't Post

The extended edition of ROTK is 4h23m

Yes, it is too long Crazy

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???
Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Nov 29 2015, 6:31pm

Post #3 of 5 (628 views)
Shortcut
Mostly, no [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think RotK is too long and I don't think BotFA is too short, overall. That said, in an ideal world where my every whim and fancy could be catered to, I would probably shave about 2 1/2 minutes off of RotK (Gimli's antics with the ghosts on the Paths of the Dead and several shots during the orc in-fighting in Mordor where Frodo is held captive). But that is all. With BotFA (in my perfect world), I would add the line resolving the White Gems and that would just about do it there (so 30 seconds maybe?).

[To a corpse] "You're looking so well, darling, you really are. They've done a marvelous job. I don't know what sort of cream they've put on you down at the morgue, but I want some."

- The Grand Budapest Hotel

Legomir
Rivendell

Nov 30 2015, 2:49pm

Post #4 of 5 (587 views)
Shortcut
Runtimes [In reply to] Can't Post

I marathoned the trilogy recently with some people who hadn't watched the films before and it was interesting to see that, personally, Return of the King (theatrical) seems to have the fastest pacing in the trilogy. In FOTR and TTT at around Lothlorien and Henneth Annun I felt that you can feel the runtime of the movie (not a bad thing, but you can). Return of the King starts and the movie never lets up for three and a half hours, which makes it different from something like Lawrence of Arabia or Branagh's Hamlet (the only other movies of that length I've seen recently). The only time the movie sort of slows down is the Dunharrow section, but even that is pretty fast. As such, I never felt like the movie was too long. But it's all subjective.

I wish Battle of the Five Armies was longer just because I'm a fan of the series who doesn't want it to end. However, it's my favorite of the three Hobbit films (just barely over DOS) and so obviously I don't think the shorter runtime hurt the film too much, though I vastly prefer the EE now.

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Dec 15 2015, 12:43pm

Post #5 of 5 (454 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

ROTK's runtime was fine, thanks to the quality of the film.
The conclusion to an epic story. The Hobbit, on the other hand, should've been trimmed down to a maximum of 2 films, with runtimes of about 120 to 140 minutes each. That's a little story adapted into something bigger - something so big, it couldn't and can't even hold its own weight.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.