The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New M-E terminology - Radagags

AshNazg
Gondor

Nov 28 2015, 6:33pm

Post #1 of 11 (577 views)
Shortcut
New M-E terminology - Radagags Can't Post

Combining the words "Radagast" and "gags" to refer to the nauseous feeling you get whenever Radagast is on screen, thanks to the caked-in bird poop running down his face.

Even thinking about his scenes makes me feel a bit queasy. I might be in a minority here, but I prefer my istari to be portrayed without feces splattered dangerously close to their mouth. In the scene with the stick-insect I can't help but hold my stomach imagining a small chunk of bird's droppings landing on his tongue as he sticks it out - yum.

What exactly is Peter Jackson trying to communicate with this concept? Is he saying that people in-touch with nature are dirty, tree-hugging hippies? That environmentalists don't wash? Nature does not equate to filth, even animals practice good hygiene! In the end, I suppose I'm just glad that Pete's coprophilia didn't seep-in when he was designing Treebeard, or I would have Radagagged throughout The Two Towers too.

So does anybody like this design decision? Anybody clap for joy every time poop is mentioned, as if it's some obscure pop-culture reference? Or are you just better than me at pretending it's not there?

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Nov 28 2015, 6:42pm

Post #2 of 11 (553 views)
Shortcut
I liked it [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a fun and strange idea that works for Radagast in the films. He is not bothered by the po, or he dose not even know he has po on his face.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Nov 28 2015, 6:57pm

Post #3 of 11 (537 views)
Shortcut
poo [In reply to] Can't Post

considering birds will eat the poo of their offspring, i dont think a bit of faeces equates to being dirty.

AshNazg
Gondor

Nov 28 2015, 8:10pm

Post #4 of 11 (494 views)
Shortcut
"A bit of feces" [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw a significant amount of feces that had clearly dried after being there a long time. I don't think there's a less subtle way of implying a character's lack of personal hygiene Crazy

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 28 2015, 8:20pm

Post #5 of 11 (497 views)
Shortcut
Not sure 'like' is the right word [In reply to] Can't Post

but after the initial "ewww" reaction, I just accepted it as an outward manifestation of Radagast's absent minded, eccentric personality, which I think is the design reason for it. But yes, every time I see Radagast, who I like as a sweet, good-hearted character, I admit I have the urge to sneak up behind him and shove him into a big vat of soapy water Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

StingingFly
Lorien

Nov 28 2015, 8:38pm

Post #6 of 11 (485 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

The character was a bit of eccentric fun, but the Radagag I couldn't stomach was the bunny sled. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes trekking the wilderness can tell you that contraption would not work.

AshNazg
Gondor

Nov 28 2015, 8:54pm

Post #7 of 11 (474 views)
Shortcut
Maybe when he attaches his staff, magic makes it work? // [In reply to] Can't Post

AshNazg
Gondor

Nov 28 2015, 8:56pm

Post #8 of 11 (476 views)
Shortcut
Kinda what I do with Bifur's axe [In reply to] Can't Post

I just accept it's weird and ignore it. But Radagast goes a bit too far for me. I can't look at anything else in the frame Unimpressed

balbo biggins
Rohan

Nov 28 2015, 9:01pm

Post #9 of 11 (479 views)
Shortcut
spirits [In reply to] Can't Post

wizards or maiar spirits do not have a personal hygiene regime. they also absorb bacteria and germs through their magic spirit skin and that turns into a sort of nourishment. look it up in the appendices.

AshNazg
Gondor

Nov 29 2015, 12:43am

Post #10 of 11 (424 views)
Shortcut
Finally a sensible answer... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's all I was asking for. Thankyou.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Nov 29 2015, 7:27am

Post #11 of 11 (374 views)
Shortcut
I have parrots [In reply to] Can't Post

And so, when I first saw Radagast, I recognized a kindred spirit. Yes, birds are messy, and if you had a birds' nest on your head, you would also be 'decorated'. What most people don't realize is that bird poop has no smell. Also, a bird usually defecates right before flight so as to be lighter.
That said, I prefer to teach my birds where and when to go. I also don't usually wear them on my head. AngelicClearly, PJ's Raddy isn't so inclined. I thought he was a charming version of the Brown wizard. He clearly considered the wildlife to be his friends, and wasn't concerned with civilized notions. I loved it when the mice ran to him when frightened.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.