Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Throin and Azog - Not a typical Hero/Villian story?

moreorless
Gondor

Nov 26 2015, 2:22pm

Post #1 of 19 (1620 views)
Shortcut
Throin and Azog - Not a typical Hero/Villian story? Can't Post

I don't recall seeing much indepth discussion of Thorin and Azog, the latter has often been rubbished as a cheap "villain for hire" but honestly I think the way he was used was more interesting than that even if the character himself doesn't have massive depth.

Mostly obviously when Azog is introduced we do not see him kill Thror and then make an escape with Thorin bent on revenge, we see Thorin get revenge and that he now believes(or wishes to believe) Azog dead. We don't even really see this played as revenge in reverse as Azog's desire to end the line of Durin clearly exists before his defeat by Thorin. Beyond that point were not seeing the story move towards both hero and villain looking for a confrontation, rather the villain is chasing the hero down then when the hero is finally focused to confront him he actuals ends up losing before effectively going on the run again. Its only towards the very end of the story that Thorin finally looks to actively seek Azog out and kill him.

Personally my view is that is setup some what in opposition to the quest for Erebor and against Smaug, that quest obviously has some solid moral foundation and even the backing of Gandalf but right from the start I think we see that its tainted by its potential to appeal to the darker side of Thorin, his self entitlement, the weight of his heritage and his grudge holding.When we see Thorin take on Azog in the flashback and win were seeing Thorin at his heroic and moral height, Thror;s pride means he's looking to take back Moria(that was always doomed to failure with the Balrog present) and Thorin has to defeat Azog to get the dwarves out of danger, he then leads them to a more modest but safer home. As AUJ progresses me do though start to see Thorins more prideful nature rise to the surface a bit and following this there second comfronation ends his his defeat.

Though out DOS we don't really see Thorin show much interest in taking on Azog and when we come to BOT5A we see him actively avoiding confrontation with at the cost of the lives of his kin in favour of keeping hold of the riches of Erebor. His redemption comes when he comes to his senses, comes to his kins aid and looks to take on Azog again for the greater good.

Though out the story I think theres a clear undercurrent that Azog does represent the doom of the line of Durin, especially of course during his final duel with Thorin where the latter is almost transfixed by him then actively desides to allow him to land a fatal blow in order to allow him to land one of his own. I suspect the intent here was showing that Thorin was not just turning his back on the greed and power of Smaug's horde but also on the weight of expectation on him as part of the line of Durin which IMHO played a significant part in bringing him low previously

(This post was edited by moreorless on Nov 26 2015, 2:23pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2015, 3:18pm

Post #2 of 19 (1555 views)
Shortcut
very good thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for that

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to The Battle for the Fifth Trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

There and Back Again Traveller

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Nov 26 2015, 4:53pm

Post #3 of 19 (1530 views)
Shortcut
They are both outside of the vision [In reply to] Can't Post

A couple of quick reasons why the conversations about Azog are reduced :-

1) The non canon issue.

2) The knowledge of his evolution both in story telling terms and in presentation.

There are however some absolutes which I think you are touching upon.

Neither is a stock hero or villain more importantly they are both outsiders. The Dwarves and the first Elves to be corrupted were both outside of the original vision of Eru. They both came about through two different Vala involving themselves in creation making.

Weta knew that the view of the film makers was that Gundabad Orcs were a throw back to the creation myth and some of their visions give early designs of Azog an Elven ambiguity.

Azog and his like had been on a centuries old vendetta to destroy and desecrate all the hallowed halls of the Dwarves. They had Gundabad, the most ancient and the dwarrow dwelf. When a re emerging Sauron began making plans with an axis of evil, including Azog was a natural choice and Azog would know his designs would more likely be achieved through the collaboration envisaged (in the Palantir). Sauron obviously let Azog know about the importance of the dwarf ring and would have been pleased when Azog delivered Thrain to him.

Thorin was acutely aware of the line of Azog and its focused hatred for the line of Durin. By decapitating Azog the animosity remains in both directions whereas if he had slew him and had been confronted with Bolg the momentum would come from Bolg.

Both of them whilst highly focused on the task in hand one to get to Erebor the other to Dol Gulder but Azog was the more displeased at that point.

Once Thorin throws off his demons its clear he genuinely does so . He goes to the Ravenhill for cold blooded tactical reasons to change the course of the battle and, as the artists say in the appendices, to take control of the signals which gave Azog his command and control centre.

However when Bilbo arrives to let him know there is a "second Azog army" a cool head prevails to late. Matters move on and he is left with his grandfathers and unknown to him fathers nemesis on the Ice. Rather like Gandalf's earlier sacrifice which he survived, thanks to Galadriel, he thinks of the greater good and knows the only way to finish matter is to effectively commit suicide.I thought the ending of his story was pure Tolkien.

They were both outsiders both doomed one to return to stone.

Just to extend along a little. I am a believer that the Hobbit had five unique story telling opportunities which could set it apart from the LOTR. The story was never as big but it had a potential uniqueness. Two of those five USP's were :-

1) A Dwarven story which could give us more of an insight into their sub created nature. The house of Azog could help with that.

2) A typically Tolkien enigma in that Azog was not only much wiser than any other Orc down the millennia but he had a son. Tolkien did not "go there" but if Azog was an ancient orc without being obvious that notion could be turned over left enigmatic but lead to some unique story telling opportunities.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Nov 26 2015, 6:22pm

Post #4 of 19 (1488 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was a cliche storyline [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog has been "rubbished" as a cheap villain for hire because that's how he was used in this film set. The hero/villain story here was beyond typical, it was cliche. Someone felt they needed an additional substory for tension so s/he resurrected Azog and had him engaged in a decades-long battle against Thror and his descendants. I thought this was a rather typical hero/villain storyline -- to the point of being trite and predictable. There are tons of stories where the protagonist is relentlessly pursued by the villain until the final confrontation, from "High Noon" to "The Highlander" to the good (original) Star Wars trilogy.

The only twist I saw was with Sauron commanding Azog to focus on HIS priorities rather than Azog's ruthless pursuit of the Durins. Even calling Azog "the doom of the line of Durin" is a bit simplistic since Dain and most of the Company were also of the line of Durin (excepting Bofur, Bifur, and Bombur). At least in introducing Sauron's dictates, we have a rational reason for the pursuit of Thror's line -- Sauron wanted Thror's Ring of Power, one of the few remaining dwarven rings after the others were consumed by dragons. Thorin wasn't focused on Azog initially during the quest simply because he thought Azog was long dead (and indeed he was in the book).

The mutual death scene was a pretty standard plot device to wrap up the substory since they had to kill Thorin and couldn't keep Azog around anymore -- plus the audience was craving Azog's brutal death by then.

moreorless
Gondor

Nov 26 2015, 8:06pm

Post #5 of 19 (1459 views)
Shortcut
Less Azog himself, more the way he was used... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Azog has been "rubbished" as a cheap villain for hire because that's how he was used in this film set. The hero/villain story here was beyond typical, it was cliche. Someone felt they needed an additional substory for tension so s/he resurrected Azog and had him engaged in a decades-long battle against Thror and his descendants. I thought this was a rather typical hero/villain storyline -- to the point of being trite and predictable. There are tons of stories where the protagonist is relentlessly pursued by the villain until the final confrontation, from "High Noon" to "The Highlander" to the good (original) Star Wars trilogy.

The only twist I saw was with Sauron commanding Azog to focus on HIS priorities rather than Azog's ruthless pursuit of the Durins. Even calling Azog "the doom of the line of Durin" is a bit simplistic since Dain and most of the Company were also of the line of Durin (excepting Bofur, Bifur, and Bombur). At least in introducing Sauron's dictates, we have a rational reason for the pursuit of Thror's line -- Sauron wanted Thror's Ring of Power, one of the few remaining dwarven rings after the others were consumed by dragons. Thorin wasn't focused on Azog initially during the quest simply because he thought Azog was long dead (and indeed he was in the book).

The mutual death scene was a pretty standard plot device to wrap up the substory since they had to kill Thorin and couldn't keep Azog around anymore -- plus the audience was craving Azog's brutal death by then.

Azog like the Kurgan in Highlander is somewhat atypical for a villain in being almost elemental in nature(little if any explanation of his personal motivations, no chance of any change in them), a trait Tolkien did of course also use with Sauron in LOTR. Really though as I said in the opening post I think its more how he's used that's most interesting.

Your standard route would obviously have been for Azog to have the upper hand in the flashback we see and for Thorin to be driven by a desire for revenge on him. As it is we see Thorin take his revenge on Azog almost right away during the same flashback and then become openly dismissive of Azog until forced to confront him at the end of AUJ before failing then only confronting him again for his final redemption at the end of the trilogy.

I think this plays a very significant part in Thorins story, rather than being your typical heroes journey where wisdom/morality/toughness are acquired we see Thorin from the very start(both onscreen and chronologically) possesses these qualities. What we then see is the reverse process take place with him increasingly compromised by pride, grudges and the burden of his family legacy whilst being hounded by Azog.

The final confrontation with Azog becomes a clear alternative to the quest for Erebor which has corrupted Thorin. Both in its moral rightness and in its rejection of a sense of being tied to his family legacy with the foreshadowing of his own likely death at his hands..

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Nov 26 2015, 10:57pm

Post #6 of 19 (1408 views)
Shortcut
Thorins themes "I've got everything under my skin" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Azog like the Kurgan in Highlander is somewhat atypical for a villain in being almost elemental in nature(little if any explanation of his personal motivations, no chance of any change in them), a trait Tolkien did of course also use with Sauron in LOTR. Really though as I said in the opening post I think its more how he's used that's most interesting.

We are moving around here but I see Sauron and Azog's motivation very clearly. They are not driven by a personal story but they both have very clearly defined reasons for their actions over which they take personal ownership. Sauron wants to dominate and control and subsume and replace. Azog wants to humiliate and desecrate anything Dwarven. He is motivated by a highly developed sense of racial hatred which he focuses on the most senior of the Dwarven families. It is no coincidence that he is an Orc who has plundered the most sacred of all Dwarven sites where the father of the Durins awoke. Whilst film Azog does not take book Azog's story he is the same bundle of issues and everything about the death and desecration of Thror is about humiliation of a particular member of family and replacing and dominating.

They both have a highly evolved sense of purpose but I do agree it ain't gonna change they are not up for redemption

In Reply To
I think this plays a very significant part in Thorins story, rather than being your typical heroes journey where wisdom/morality/toughness are acquired we see Thorin from the very start(both onscreen and chronologically) possesses these qualities. What we then see is the reverse process take place with him increasingly compromised by pride, grudges and the burden of his family legacy whilst being hounded by Azog.

I am not sure I agree with this and its important because I think its one of the failings of Thorins portrayal.

From the very beginning we witness :-

1) His reaction to Thranduil whose action whilst flagrant is and should be understandable to a wise man.

2) He only takes the bumbious Hobbit with him "We will do this thing your way" because of Gandalf. He makes it abundantly clear he feels no moral responsibility for Bilbo.

3) His blanket rejection of all Elves is recalcitrant and ill-informed the Elves of Rivendell are Noldor who have the closest affinity with Dwarves and his reaction to Gandalf is petulant.

I am seeing the grudge laden chippy Dwarf from the very beginning weighed down by a host of issues. That is the Thorin we receive and if we step outside of the story I am being critical of such a portrayal. My view is the quest should have been for the Arkenstone from the outset and aside from the quest he has two drivers an expedient determination to achieve the quest manifest in his behaviour towards the anchor relationship with Bilbo and a deep unease about the matter of his father particularly given the nature of his grand fathers death.

In chronological order :-

1) He should positively aim for Imladris and accept Elronds help and then leave with out a by your leave.

2) If he is confronted with Azog he should hold off but the film needs things to happen because of the three film split so I will pass on that.

3) Beorn perfect don't agitate him work round him.

4) Thranduil. He would have compromised but because Thranduil is not a big friend of Dwarves and has a very personal issue with the Durins he just cannot make it.

5) Master/Bard spot on let me take a rain check I will pay you later.

On the other posters point one of the things I have noticed on this site that people rip into cliches as every story should be entirely original in its construction of interpersonal reaction. As a 60 year old I would say thats life next time someone on this site decides to ask someone to marry them they will probably invoke a cliche thats what we do. If we could avoid cliches history would look very different that indeed is the problem we keep on making the same mistakes. There are only so many ways to be a character its what we do with them that can be original. In fact I will push on with this that is the problem with Legolas and Tauriel. Bring in a LOTR character and a woman who appeal to an important part of the market film segment, just make their story interesting (and proportionate).

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Nov 26 2015, 11:03pm)

Omnigeek
Lorien

Nov 27 2015, 3:20am

Post #7 of 19 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Archetypes are one thing, cliches are another [In reply to] Can't Post

On the other posters point one of the things I have noticed on this site that people rip into cliches as every story should be entirely original in its construction of interpersonal reaction.

There is a very real reason people respond to archetypes. I don't have any problem with them and rather enjoy them more than scripts that are focused on rejecting archetypes (like Ron D. Moore does) but there's a difference between using a archetype in building a story and resorting to a cliche as a plot device out of laziness. The difference here IMO is that there really was no reason for the Azog substory (and hence character) other than wanting some underlying tension spanning all three movies. I think that tension could have been introduced and carried without the Azog storyline simply by working the continuity to LOTR differently.

In fact, had they used the fireside chat between Gandalf, Merry and Pippin (after the conclusion of ROTK) as flashback sequences at the start of AUJ and DOS, they could have provided Gandalf's motivation for pursuing Smaug and explained the threat he and the Mirkwood orcs posed to Rivendell (and how that would have affected the War of the Ring itself). Then again, I'm not sure why the quest itself wasn't enough tension to hold the films together by itself and that's probably the heart of my objection to the entire substory. Valuable tens of minutes of screentime were spent on a completely unnecessary and predictable story line. The Kurgan was an archetype but he was completely necessary to "The Highlander". Obi-Wan Kenobi is an archetype but his character and the story of Luke's training is necessary to the story in the original Star Wars (and subsequent films). Azog just simply wasn't necessary to the story of The Hobbit or tying it in to the LOTR.

moreorless
Gondor

Nov 27 2015, 6:50am

Post #8 of 19 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the reply [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We are moving around here but I see Sauron and Azog's motivation very clearly. They are not driven by a personal story but they both have very clearly defined reasons for their actions over which they take personal ownership. Sauron wants to dominate and control and subsume and replace. Azog wants to humiliate and desecrate anything Dwarven. He is motivated by a highly developed sense of racial hatred which he focuses on the most senior of the Dwarven families. It is no coincidence that he is an Orc who has plundered the most sacred of all Dwarven sites where the father of the Durins awoke. Whilst film Azog does not take book Azog's story he is the same bundle of issues and everything about the death and desecration of Thror is about humiliation of a particular member of family and replacing and dominating.

They both have a highly evolved sense of purpose but I do agree it ain't gonna change they are not up for redemption

My point was really that we don't get any kind of inner window into the reasons for there prime motivations and that this feeds into there nature as implacable antagonists. This isn't THAT rare when it comes to villians but I would say not entirely typical either.

In Reply To
I am not sure I agree with this and its important because I think its one of the failings of Thorins portrayal.

From the very beginning we witness :-

1) His reaction to Thranduil whose action whilst flagrant is and should be understandable to a wise man.

2) He only takes the bumbious Hobbit with him "We will do this thing your way" because of Gandalf. He makes it abundantly clear he feels no moral responsibility for Bilbo.

3) His blanket rejection of all Elves is recalcitrant and ill-informed the Elves of Rivendell are Noldor who have the closest affinity with Dwarves and his reaction to Gandalf is petulant.

I am seeing the grudge laden chippy Dwarf from the very beginning weighed down by a host of issues. That is the Thorin we receive and if we step outside of the story I am being critical of such a portrayal. My view is the quest should have been for the Arkenstone from the outset and aside from the quest he has two drivers an expedient determination to achieve the quest manifest in his behaviour towards the anchor relationship with Bilbo and a deep unease about the matter of his father particularly given the nature of his grand fathers death.

In chronological order :-

1) He should positively aim for Imladris and accept Elronds help and then leave with out a by your leave.

2) If he is confronted with Azog he should hold off but the film needs things to happen because of the three film split so I will pass on that.

3) Beorn perfect don't agitate him work round him.

4) Thranduil. He would have compromised but because Thranduil is not a big friend of Dwarves and has a very personal issue with the Durins he just cannot make it.

5) Master/Bard spot on let me take a rain check I will pay you later. ).

Honestly though I feel that avoiding showing his flaws entirely would have been a mistake, both in terms of a realistic shift in character and indeed that the prime reasons for there existence predate the real-time narrative in AUJ.

My point is really that the quest for Erebor naturally feeds into the more negative aspects of his nature. Its not a quest without moral foundation as Gandalf outlines but I think Gandalf also sees the potential negative effect on Thorin, this is a lot of the reason why he picks Bilbo in the first place, not just as a thief but a potential moral influence.

Azog on the other hand does the reverse, defeating him in the flashback represents the moral high water mark of the character and its followed by the rejection of the prideful desire to retake Moria in favour of a more modest move to the blue mountains.

We then see Thorin openly avoiding any confrontation(indeed even looking to avoid believing he's still alive) with Azog until the end of the final film, the one confrontation he has forced on him results in defeat and a further heightening of the sense that Azog might be destined to kill him.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Nov 27 2015, 6:52am)

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Nov 27 2015, 7:13am

Post #9 of 19 (1329 views)
Shortcut
Cliched Character Verses Cliched Plot. [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all Omni can I gratulate you on making not only a very powerful point but a very powerful suggestion which i will come back to.

In this thread I am working with M O L as if the story told is a given and explaining my reaction to his way of seeing what happens. Put simply I am trying to look at the story through his eyes rather than critique per se my view of what should have happened.

I actually agree with you about clichés. Characters can be built on existing types but what they must do is unusual things to make the story telling interesting and fresh and the character real, so we are on the same page.

Let me give you two examples from my alternative vision of the Hobbit Movies which accepts the general terms of the film makers story but recasts certain elements and change perspectives.

Tauriel (a cliché) finds in herself new qualities through her experience in Lake Town and recognises that whilst "it is our fight" it is also important to heal and protect. She remains by the Lake easing suffering and protecting Bards children. She was curious about Kili and learnt some thing of the outside world through him BUT was not in love. So similar but different to Eowyn so a new and fresh outcome in the Tolkien world if anyone echoing Galadriel.

Bolg (the vengeful off spring of his late mentor/father a cliche). Whilst his reasoning and set up is a cliche it enables us to examine more of Tolkien's sub created world by getting in close to a creature who echoes those first age thralls who were corrupted Elves. His behaviour is not fuelled by vengeance (a cliche) but by a desire to replicate what his racial memory tells him that he himself is a corruption. So when when he drags Thrain back to DG (T.E. flashback explanation material by Thrain ) and Beornings (E E material Thrain witnesses) we see his desire to subvert and corrupt and break bringing these victims into his world which his master would would welcome. He wants to humiliate and destroy wills not simply chop lots of arms off. The degradation of Thrain provides Dol Gulder with some grounded story telling in a amongst the symbolic spiritual encounters between the light and darkness and takes about 4 minutes but links plot to subplot and makes the highly personal climax (Bolg, who went North after the cones, and unleashes Gundabad after the death of Smaug (sound familiar) brings a Gundabad army from Gundabad and baits Thorin into a remote inaccessible but strategically vital bar one entrance Ravenhill) resonate more as the action is added to by insults and goading between Bolg and Thorin reflecting on their past humiliations and achievements (Thorin of course would have slain Azog) Bolg having killed his heir.

It was your flash back through Gandalf and Merry and Pippin that caught my eye because I began a long post yesterday about how to solve the problem that Philippa mentions of tonal inconsistency across the story.

There is a meeting in a house between Gandalf, Frodo and Gimli (Page 360 in my sixth impression of the second edition) where Gandalf reminisces on what might have happened in the North "Dragon Fire and savage swords in Eriador …) . This could have been the context for telling the story from Gandalfs P.O.V. . The huge advantage of this is that Gandalf is the only one that really knows what is happening and has an intimate understanding of Bilbo and Thorin and knew Gimli's father. G would automatically tell the story from a grown up perspective. He could have drawn the story through the lighter moments (Trolls) with mere montage and then settled the narrative as we reach Rivendell and meet Radagast. Put simply the tension comes from Gandalfs larger concerns abut the North (Gundabad/Erebor/Moria) which he can set out in the prologue and his love of Bilbo and Thorin and their love of each other by showing Bilbo grieving over Thorins cadaver. Gandalf then tells the story of the North and how Bilbo and Thorin made their journey to friendship and reconciliation.

The more i think abut this the more sense it makes. It harmonises with the LOTR entirely naturally. Gandalf would tell the story on two levels geo politically his concerns for the North and his more intimate care for Bilbo whom him eked the story out of over the intervening 60/79 years.

The Red Book Of West March is left to Tolkien and Bilbo, this is Gandalfs version of events. How he met Thorin in the PP and planned the quest, Thorin insisting on13, a daft number for a subversive clandestine journey, but we only come to know Balin, Ori and Gloin (Gloin is a warrior who takes Dwalin's actions) the LOTR connected characters and Bombur and Bofur who have story telling value and the nephews (FIli the heir has the story the younger one has no story merely supports the heir), the embarrassment of Bilbos behaviour at the clash of cultures party, the daft business with the Trolls but thats how I picked up those swords and on ….. The perfect vehicle for re modulating the tone. Sir Ian should have been executive producer and then we would have no Yam Bags and "Because it's real" Ha ha !!Wink

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Nov 27 2015, 7:25am)

moreorless
Gondor

Nov 27 2015, 7:20am

Post #10 of 19 (1329 views)
Shortcut
I'v aready provided two counter arguements to this... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There is a very real reason people respond to archetypes. I don't have any problem with them and rather enjoy them more than scripts that are focused on rejecting archetypes (like Ron D. Moore does) but there's a difference between using a archetype in building a story and resorting to a cliche as a plot device out of laziness. The difference here IMO is that there really was no reason for the Azog substory (and hence character) other than wanting some underlying tension spanning all three movies. I think that tension could have been introduced and carried without the Azog storyline simply by working the continuity to LOTR differently.

My original post and my reply to Michelles post looked to address such largely unqualified statements. You avoided directly addressing any of the issues I raised in the OP and look to be doing the same here by latching onto the end of Michelle's post as another chance to make a similar generalised and definitive statements plus appeal to authority in Tolkien without offering much in the way of analysis to back it up.

The ironic thing for me is that I think Thorins story and Azogs place in it actually comes across as very Tolkien like to me. The hero being pursued by the villain or his agents before finally deciding to confront him more directly is there with Aragorn and Sauron. The sense of a villain destined to kill a hero is there in a lot of Scandinavian mythology and is used by Tolkien within the Sil.

You mentioned Ron D. Moore but I would argue he very often takes a similar path looking to introduce an implacable antagonist to focus the challenges of the protagonists around(Calvin/#1, Gul Dukat, the Pah Wraths). Indeed I would argue he was involved with the very dictionary definition of this kind of writing in the creation of the Borg Queen in First Contact.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Nov 27 2015, 7:21am)

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Nov 27 2015, 7:37am

Post #11 of 19 (1318 views)
Shortcut
Azog Bolg its the principle [In reply to] Can't Post

M O L Whilst I agree with the general principle that OMNI is proposing that characters can be stereotypical it is what you do with them that is interesting I think the discussion becomes over complicated by bringing in the structural requirements of the Trilogy.

My earlier remark about dealing with character needs rather than structural needs is very relevant. I agree with you that Azog's story is very Tolkienesque and so in Thorins ! However things happen to them which are dictated by structure and thats what people tend to focus on whereas you focus on the characters story. Put simply you have an open view to what is unfolding where a good deal of observational knowingness is applied to these films. "Oh he only put that in to achieve that" rather than "Where has that taken us".

I have found this discussion most interesting because it reminds me of the challenges of structure on story telling.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Nov 27 2015, 7:58am

Post #12 of 19 (1310 views)
Shortcut
This post emerged just now [In reply to] Can't Post

M O L The post i am now responding to has only just shown up in the string behind mine.

I accept every thing you say about their motivation I see their reasons as clear at a philosophical/spiritual level.

The point about flaws is also fine with me. Its the story telling and plot point motivation created by the Thranduil flashback that seems an unnecessary distraction. I am also puzzled again at the character logic why is the isolationist on the ridge in the first place. We can park that because to use O S words "I do not have faith" in that piece of storytelling.

Just a question you mention going to the Blue Mountains after Moria my understanding in the films is Azanulbizar did not happen immediately after Erebor it was a vain glorious mission to take it from the Blue Mountains. However I see others on the net take the view that Thror lead them to Moria immediately after the loss of the mountains in which case how did Thrain give Gandalf the map and the key if he went straight from Erebor to Moria and was captured.

I took it from the prologue the exodus ended at the Blue Mountains.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Nov 27 2015, 8:01am)

moreorless
Gondor

Nov 27 2015, 8:15am

Post #13 of 19 (1302 views)
Shortcut
Hard to know fir sure I'd agree.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
M O L The post i am now responding to has only just shown up in the string behind mine.

I accept every thing you say about their motivation I see their reasons as clear at a philosophical/spiritual level.

The point about flaws is also fine with me. Its the story telling and plot point motivation created by the Thranduil flashback that seems an unnecessary distraction. I am also puzzled again at the character logic why is the isolationist on the ridge in the first place. We can park that because to use O S words "I do not have faith" in that piece of storytelling.

I would agree Thranduil's story does come across as rather simplified with his role in the prolog rather illogical. Perhaps a better route would have been to show the Dwaves being turned away from his realm? maybe then reveal in DOS that this was actually as much due to Thror's own prideful nature as Thranduil's isolationism and pride.

In Reply To
Just a question you mention going to the Blue Mountains after Moria my understanding in the films is Azanulbizar did not happen immediately after Erebor it was a vain glorious mission to take it from the Blue Mountains. However I see others on the net take the view that Thror lead them to Moria immediately after the loss of the mountains in which case how did Thrain give Gandalf the map and the key if he went straight from Erebor to Moria and was captured.

I took it from the prologue the exodus ended at the Blue Mountains.

I would agree its hard to know for sure the specifics but I take the most important aspect to be Balin's statement that Thorin personally had helped build them a new home in the Blue Mountains. So even if Thror did lead them there he clearly wasn't content with staying.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Nov 27 2015, 8:17am)

moreorless
Gondor

Nov 27 2015, 8:23am

Post #14 of 19 (1294 views)
Shortcut
Really I would argue Tolkien is the posterboy for ennobling stereotypes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
M O L Whilst I agree with the general principle that OMNI is proposing that characters can be stereotypical it is what you do with them that is interesting I think the discussion becomes over complicated by bringing in the structural requirements of the Trilogy.

My earlier remark about dealing with character needs rather than structural needs is very relevant. I agree with you that Azog's story is very Tolkienesque and so in Thorins ! However things happen to them which are dictated by structure and thats what people tend to focus on whereas you focus on the characters story. Put simply you have an open view to what is unfolding where a good deal of observational knowingness is applied to these films. "Oh he only put that in to achieve that" rather than "Where has that taken us".

I have found this discussion most interesting because it reminds me of the challenges of structure on story telling.

His view just seems a little strange to me as to me Tolkien is the first person who comes to mind when I think of story telling elements that on the face of them may appear stereotypical being ennobled by the fashion in which they are used.

Now I would agree Jackson does sometimes run closer to mere cliché but I don't think the core of his story for the Hobbit did so including Thorin and Azog does so nearly as much as has often been suggested.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Nov 27 2015, 8:25am)

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Nov 27 2015, 12:19pm

Post #15 of 19 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien back through to H. Rider Haggard [In reply to] Can't Post

I think thats a wonderful phrase "ennobling stereotypes". JRRT was huge fan of Rider Haggard which I only found out after I had been for years and years. I have his complete works on my Kobo !

When you read the introductions to his stories everyone seems like they are straight out of the UK TV series Downton Abbey but its what he does with them, putting them in semi mythical landscapes and situations which is of course classic JRRT.

Just to round out this debate the Azog/Thorin relationship it is in my view a mechanism for a profound redemption on the part of Thorin and in my musings whilst the antagonist is Bolg, for reasons explained to gain a unique insight, I was absolutely certain of three things for the climax.

1) The antagonist is able to slay Thorins nephew(s) as part of his desire for humiliation.
2) The antagonist is slain by Thorin as he himself sacrifices himself in doing so. This felt very Turin to me.
3) Beorn is not part of the battle of five armies instead he is enmeshed in the intrigue of Dol Gulder and his more mythical nature can be more fully explored in that environment.

On the latter Sir Peter had filmed the funeral in block 3 with Radagast and Beorn and smoothed them into it by the late appearance on Eagles. Radagast being there is counter intuitive but seeing the pre vis on Beorn he would have added some nice variation to Sir Peters vision of the battle.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Nov 27 2015, 12:21pm)

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Nov 27 2015, 12:32pm

Post #16 of 19 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil/Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

Something we learn from Philippa in the appendices is her view of Thranduil's backstory is it was necessary for the actors not the audience. I actually beg to differ.

If the Dwarves can come before Thranduil and Thranduil, full of bitter remorse over the non delivery of the gems, had locked them up Kili had asked Tauriel why so upset and she told the story of the Gems significance the audience would know precisely why the Gems were important and that Thorins reaction is the first echo of his grandfathers behaviour over the hoard. This would also be part of the Kili/Tauriel falling out of love with the world around them where Tauriel would see in Kili a spiritually questing Dwarf and Kili would reflect objectively on the behaviour of his grand uncle once he had both sides of the story. I think there is some real potential movement in that idea.

I have thought about this a lot and I think there is enough directed at Thorins family from Thranduil for the argument to break out and end up with the locking up to make sense on the Gems alone. It feels very Thingol, who they invoke in the appendices, to me.

I am quite sure the huge global audience didn't remember Thorins remark about the Elves looking on over Moria which is one of those historically all over the place comments which would miss with the standard film audience and makes no sense to the Geek in each of us.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Nov 27 2015, 12:39pm)

Omnigeek
Lorien

Nov 27 2015, 2:41pm

Post #17 of 19 (1239 views)
Shortcut
Yout TRIED to make counter-arguments ... you failed [In reply to] Can't Post

My original post and my reply to Michelles post looked to address such largely unqualified statements. You avoided directly addressing any of the issues I raised in the OP and look to be doing the same here by latching onto the end of Michelle's post as another chance to make a similar generalised and definitive statements plus appeal to authority in Tolkien without offering much in the way of analysis to back it up.

I didn't avoid anything. I wasn't buying the points you raise in the OP. It sounded like a lot of the pseudo-academic bilge I had to endure in university which is why I cut straight to the chase: Azog was a cliche and his character and use in this trilogy was a cheap plot device. Your OP sought to validate Azog; in my view (hardly universal around here), it failed. I don't really mind plot devices but this one was completely unnecessary while sucking up valuable tens of minutes of screentime. That's something I do mind when those minutes could have been spent telling the story properly. Tha Gandalf flashback sequences that tie TH in with TLOTR already exist, albeit in volumes Sir Peter may not have been authorized to tap from (I don't know the exact state of the licensing for material in Lost Tales or Untold Tales that uses characters and situations provided through TH and TLOTR).

I cited Ron D. Moore because he has specifically come out and said he hates archetypes which is why he "reimagined" Battlestar Galactica the way he did. In my mind, he spent more time trying to tear down or sideline archetypes than in building a believable world or society. I'm obviously in the minority on that score too but it has nothing to do with Tolkien's works other than this discussion of cliches and archetypes (and I don't really much care what people who haven't given much thought to a subject think about it).

Lest this come across as a hate-fest, let me also say Azog comes across quite well as the villain you love to hate and he does push the story along with a frenetic energy that makes the audience forget (or just not understand) that Bilbo's journey there and back again took a year. I just think he does so in a very stereotypical fashion, not at all this unconventional hero/villain relationship you have tried to validate.

moreorless
Gondor

Nov 27 2015, 4:26pm

Post #18 of 19 (1212 views)
Shortcut
I think my debate with you is at an end [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I didn't avoid anything. I wasn't buying the points you raise in the OP. It sounded like a lot of the pseudo-academic bilge I had to endure in university which is why I cut straight to the chase: Azog was a cliche and his character and use in this trilogy was a cheap plot device. Your OP sought to validate Azog; in my view (hardly universal around here), it failed. I don't really mind plot devices but this one was completely unnecessary while sucking up valuable tens of minutes of screentime. That's something I do mind when those minutes could have been spent telling the story properly. Tha Gandalf flashback sequences that tie TH in with TLOTR already exist, albeit in volumes Sir Peter may not have been authorized to tap from (I don't know the exact state of the licensing for material in Lost Tales or Untold Tales that uses characters and situations provided through TH and TLOTR).

I cited Ron D. Moore because he has specifically come out and said he hates archetypes which is why he "reimagined" Battlestar Galactica the way he did. In my mind, he spent more time trying to tear down or sideline archetypes than in building a believable world or society. I'm obviously in the minority on that score too but it has nothing to do with Tolkien's works other than this discussion of cliches and archetypes (and I don't really much care what people who haven't given much thought to a subject think about it).

Lest this come across as a hate-fest, let me also say Azog comes across quite well as the villain you love to hate and he does push the story along with a frenetic energy that makes the audience forget (or just not understand) that Bilbo's journey there and back again took a year. I just think he does so in a very stereotypical fashion, not at all this unconventional hero/villain relationship you have tried to validate.

So again you basically rubbish the points I offer with almost no effort made to directly address them at all, this time throwing it a totally unsubstantiated insult as well.

Honestly I really fail to see how anything I posted is all that "pseudo-academic ", none of the points I made drew on especially advanced concepts, you would think I was quoting Jean-Luc Godard and looking to justify the films by bringing in advanced cinematic analysis(which honestly I'm not really capable of anyway) lreading your posts.

The argument I represented was I think very straight forward and I was careful to make sure I was drawing very directly on material within the films for it rather than looking depend on external references. I only mentioned how it related to Tolkiens own work and influence when you carried on appealing to authority with him, something I find is much more strongly "pseudo-academic".

The Thorin/Azog flashback is I think clearly unconventional in that it shows the hero defeat his nemesis before the story even begins. As I said your stereotypical plot would surely have been Azog killing Thror and forcing Thorin to beat a retreat or at least escaping himself rather than being so badly injured Thorin believes him dead. I don't think its pushing things at all to say that this is looking to create the idea that Thorin before the quest is a very strong character. We hear in Balins narration that defeating Azog represents the moment Thorin proves his worth to him, moreso than any other action he takes until the end of BOT5A. By keeping Azog alive I think you have a clear link between this early Thorin worthy of Balins loyalty and the task he undertakes to redeem himself taking on the same villain again in an even more selfless fashion.

I certainly enjoy Ron D Moores work on DS9 and BSG but I'm really not seeing him as a massive unconventional writer. Both of those stories depend very heavily on quite standard villians and to be honestly both come across as somewhat pretentious(a very overused criticism but I think it fits here) including elements that hint at more interesting unconventional story telling but fail to totally deliver it(indeed they often give the impression Moore introduced them because they appeared unconventional and interesting but had no idea where they were actually leading, the very definition of pretension). I would say something like Babylon 5 is a much better example as it did actually follow though on its more unconventional elements, the cause of the Shadow/Vorlon war, the characters of Londo and G'kar. etc.

When it comes to the Hobbit films though my general opinion is that you had an interesting unconventional story at the core of them, nothing wildly original perhaps but for blockbuster cinema a good deal more than we normally see. Tolkien of course takes credit for much of that but I do think Jacksons additional to Bilbo and Thorin's story were worthy of association with him. Where I think he's rather less successful is in elements he introduces or expands outside of this central story, the Sauron/White Council plot, Bards plot and the love story whilst competent did not have a great deal of interest for me, Thranduil hinted a little that he might wasn't really taken very far.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Nov 27 2015, 4:33pm)

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Nov 28 2015, 7:46am

Post #19 of 19 (1064 views)
Shortcut
Thank you MOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Just very briefly to say I enjoyed this exchange. Its good to read detailed thought for something in the films rather than a one sentence endorsement.

It has coincided with watching the appendices which has been captivating.

However Advent looms and the Christmas festivities and I "have tarried overlong" so I wish you and anyone reading this thread a very joyous and happy time for the coming season.

Thank you again.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.