The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
An Appeal to Philippa Boyens...

Timdalf
Rivendell

Nov 26 2015, 11:06am

Post #1 of 15 (1531 views)
Shortcut
An Appeal to Philippa Boyens... Can't Post

... very simple: I hope someday she will give us "The History of the MIddle-earth Movie Scripts" in 6 volumes... In other words, the permutations the scripts went through a la "The History of the Hobbit", and "The History of Middle-earth" of Rateliff and C. Tolkien respectively... It would be an immense task, but I think extremely valuable not only for film writing schools, but for all the fans who still have questions about how they all developed. And she alone is in the unique place to accomplish it. What say you, fans of the West?

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Nov 26 2015, 11:52am

Post #2 of 15 (1473 views)
Shortcut
Could be interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

But would probably just breed another load of fan whining "Ugh, she originally wanted Tauriel to do what??? Oh god never let these people near a film set again!" etc. etc. ad nauseum.

* crunch *

Bishop
Gondor

Nov 26 2015, 2:50pm

Post #3 of 15 (1383 views)
Shortcut
Fan whining [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a newsflash for you. The hobbit films are not as good as Lotr by any meaningful measure. So yeah, there will be whining forever.

Toukol
Bree

Nov 26 2015, 3:01pm

Post #4 of 15 (1365 views)
Shortcut
She has said [In reply to] Can't Post

She has said she is done with Middle-earth and has to let it go, so I don't think we will be seeing anything like that from her. After working on these movies for as many years as she did, I'm sure she needs a long break from anything to do with Tolkien.

That said, I would love to see some of the early scripts drafts of LOTR and TH. The LOTR scripts out there now are very close to the finished movies.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 26 2015, 3:07pm

Post #5 of 15 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Please define meaningful measure.... [In reply to] Can't Post

'Cos I don't know what you mean.

In terms of artwork and design I would say The Hobbit films are certainly as good. In terms of casting and acting they're certainly as good and possibly better. Are these things not meaningful?

And what of music, cinematography, lighting, direction, editing, special effects? So far as I can see, most of the fan objection seems to focus on the adaptation itself and the writing, some on the use of computer graphics. Are those the only measures that are meaningful?

MedwedtoBeorn
Rivendell

Nov 26 2015, 3:57pm

Post #6 of 15 (1319 views)
Shortcut
GDT vs PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to see what major changes took place after the GDT departure. It would be interesting to see what difference existed in which characters, events, and story arcs and which were emphasized more or less between the two directors.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 26 2015, 4:22pm

Post #7 of 15 (1294 views)
Shortcut
I can't see that happening in their lifetimes. No director woul want [In reply to] Can't Post

another directors ideas and designs to see the light of day. it is a lose lose proposition. One of the directors will face renewed criticism with either what they had planned or what they rejected. Maybe in 50 years but most of us will be long gone.

MedwedtoBeorn
Rivendell

Nov 26 2015, 4:39pm

Post #8 of 15 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Designs [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure what timetable but PJ in interviews has said that once the rollouts are complete it was his intention to show the GDT designs.

I would think though, it would be WB and MGM not PJ that would nix such a thing. I'm sure they know another adaptation is a real possibility and they may look to GDT if he is still interested, or they may want a different future director to have them as a resource.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Nov 26 2015, 5:11pm

Post #9 of 15 (1251 views)
Shortcut
You can lay off the sarcasm mate. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not quite sure where you get the idea that I'm not aware of what you said.

* crunch *

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 26 2015, 6:05pm

Post #10 of 15 (1219 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for YOUR opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

Although for my part, I'd say my chiefest and greatest whining will be that there isn't more of the Hobbit.Frown

Tho not sure what you mean by "meaningful measure"; for myself the Hobbit has some of the most beautiful scenes I think I will ever see on screenHeart. Gorgeous lines, stunning visuals, characters for the ages, and so on. Above all IMO, amazing performances.
Not to say that LOTR doesn't, as well.Unimpressed

But I'll be luxuriating in the Hobbit this weekend.Tongue

Ferder
The Shire

Nov 26 2015, 8:07pm

Post #11 of 15 (1144 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's arc [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I would like to see what major changes took place after the GDT departure. It would be interesting to see what difference existed in which characters, events, and story arcs and which were emphasized more or less between the two directors.

According to interviews, one of the major script changes was Bilbo's character arc. Del Toro's emphasis was on the loss of innocence but PJ decided he'd rather Bilbo's arc be about re-discovering a sense of adventure. The latter idea is actually more in keeping with the book's theme, where as Del Toro's is more like Frodo's LOTR arc.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 26 2015, 8:18pm

Post #12 of 15 (1136 views)
Shortcut
It may be rare, but it happens! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I can't see that happening in their lifetimes. No director woul want another directors ideas and designs to see the light of day.

We do see such things once in a while. First, I would point you to Steven Spielberg's A.I. Artificial Intelligence, a film originally meant to be directed by Stanley Kubrick. But a much more blatant example would be Gus Van Sant's 1998, shot-for-shot remake of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2015, 12:58am

Post #13 of 15 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Well, they are some of the most important aspects... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantastic acting, lighting, music, etc cannot save a film with a terrible script. For me, the films are just about ruined by the script (and only a bit less by the IMO excessive use of cgi).

Timdalf
Rivendell

Nov 27 2015, 4:48pm

Post #14 of 15 (869 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I have all three of the LotR scripts [In reply to] Can't Post

and they make for fascinating reading and are good for comparing with the finished product. But none of them are EEs. So far none of the TH scripts have surfaced yet, only fan transcripts which I have and have added the EE bits in.

But perhaps as time wears on the wear-out factor will decrease and nostalgia will set in. I hope so because seeing the development step by step would be of endless significance.

Timdalf
Rivendell

Nov 27 2015, 4:57pm

Post #15 of 15 (871 views)
Shortcut
Well, Crunchable... [In reply to] Can't Post

... you have a point as we see from where this thread degenerated into... another food fight between the whiners and the white-washers!! However, as these are perhaps the most sophisticated and complex films ever developed (yes. ALL 6!!) given their length, production values, themes, etc.... To see how this magnificent structure came about (regardless of which side of the Last Debate (!) one is on) would be of immense value for film students and scholars. It's time to start treating film scripts a literature, just like plays, and stop pretending they just pop out fully buttered! She was there, she saw it all, knows all, and probably remembers 99% of it... so she is uniquely in a position to accomplish this. And given the openness to behind the scenes we already have gotten gratis, I think there is a chance this might actually come to pass. I don't suppose any of the principles in creating the script kept a diary of the day to day trials and tribulationsof this heroic success. But I wonder what the archives at Wellington, and surely there are such, would tell.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.