Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Michael Pellerin deserves recognition for putting together the appendices

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 26 2015, 6:17am

Post #1 of 6 (577 views)
Shortcut
Michael Pellerin deserves recognition for putting together the appendices Can't Post

along with Kevin Shukur and the rest of their crew. The idea of a completely separate film crew on set documenting the moving being made is something that both LOTR and The Hobbit movies have done better than anyone else. There should be an Oscar category for "Film Documentation" or similar name.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2015, 7:43am

Post #2 of 6 (553 views)
Shortcut
There is no praise high enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

for the work that Michael and his crew have done.

Despite my enjoyment of the films, I will admit that they didn't rise to the level of LotR for me. But there are two areas in which my original expectations were completely met. One, as I've said before, has been Howard Shore's beautiful scores.

The other is the astounding work on the Appendices. The documentaries continued the amazing standard set by the LotR Appendices, and in certain respects even surpassed them.

I cannot thank everyone involved enough for the amazing journey behind the scenes of these films - from the very first Video Blog to the final farewell on Part 12 of the Appendices. We are left with a magnificent living, breathing archive (as Sean Astin once put it) of the incredible efforts put forward by so many talented people.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 26 2015, 8:02am

Post #3 of 6 (537 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Erethen
The Shire

Nov 27 2015, 7:08am

Post #4 of 6 (359 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, the appendices are the things I always looked forward to the most with the release of each new EE. Honestly, I watch the appendices more than I do the movies! Still to this day I pour over the appendices for LOTR and TH. I love listening to their stories of filming, designing and what not. They never get old and I always feel like I'm among them and it makes me wish I were involved!

When TH was announced, the idea of new appendices was one of the most exciting to me!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 27 2015, 5:56pm

Post #5 of 6 (318 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they have the most emotional, educational, interesting and unique content. [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite what all of us think about the end products, we know they were made with love and a good heart to do the best job (within the vision of the filmmaker).

Toukol
Bree

Nov 29 2015, 8:10pm

Post #6 of 6 (218 views)
Shortcut
High Praise [In reply to] Can't Post

Michael and his crew did a fantastic job. Watching the whole document across the making of all three movies was as enjoyable as watching The Hobbit itself.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.